Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

billygoat

Any views or opinions on this?
« on: May 07, 2007, 10:02:52 am »
Hi all,
right I'll try and cut a long story short.

I've been cleaning windows for 26 years,6 months ago I changed to wfp,tops and all georgian windows using backpack.

After the usual struggle for a couple of months everthing is now going great. Worst jobs,georgian windows, are now my favourite, and in fact I actually enjoy working now.

This is the start of my problem,with my new found enthusiasm,I've taken on more work to the point of overload.The trouble is I've had two small heart attacks in the last two years and then last friday I thought I'd had another one, but luckily it wasn't but the hospital told me it was due to being run down through to working to much.

So I've got to cut back on work.I'm thinking I could just drop loads of work but that means less money,increase prices by say 25% and hope I lose enough to make workload easier but earn the same money.I could employ someone but I think that could cause me to much uneccesary stress,and I don't really want to go down that path.

I know my health is important but so is money at the moment with 3 teenagers at home, mortgage ect.

So I'm wondering has anyone been in this sort of dilemma and what did you do,any views or opinions greatly appreciated,

Tim 

Mr. S

Re: Any views or opinions on this?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 10:15:31 am »
sorry to hear that mate!

Although not in your situation, i put some prices up last year and when i re-evaluated my prices at end of year, decided alot had to go up again. My excuse is a new pricing structure!

Well, after this month ill b earning more, hopefully on some up to 30/35 %.

Take the risk mate, at the end of the day last week alone picked up loads of new customers all at very,very good prices, these type would more than make up for any you lose!

Cheers Craig

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:23:57 am »
Ok - I've not had heart probs personally (I'm 47) but my Uncle died at 52, my bro. (who's 54 has had palpitations) and my Mum's had two seperate by-pass ops and two seperate pacemakers. (Still here, mobile - just, at 83!)

My limited observations are these:-

Luck (genes), general physical shape, stress and lifestyle are the contibuting factors. Improving health and reducing stress are paramount.

So stop smoking (but note stress!) and lose weight. (General guidance - I don't know your personal situation of course!) If your GP OK's it take up some light exercise - I do cycling - that gets you a bit breathless.

Work smarter not harder. I would look at my round and write a letter explaining that for financial reasons (inflation, bank charges, ongoing investment in wfp to comply with H&S regs.) my prices have to rise.

This will cull a few.

In conjunction with the above, you could also offer every-other-time cleaning (for an additional price - more dirt to remove) to some and this will reduce your round too.

Think of those kids who need you around a lot longer and who can survive perfectly happily without all the goodies they think they need!

I'm sounding more like my Dad as the years roll by!!! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 10:52:50 am »
The idea of charging more and going every other month is really good.  There was one guy on here reckoned you could charge 50% more for every 8 weeks.  If you offered this service in line with a price increase of say 25% you might find many of your customers jump at the chance to save money.

Putting prices up is also a cause of stress though, although it's only stressful for a few weeks and if it lightens the workload it would be worth it.

Simon.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 12:28:29 pm »
I think all of the above is great advice. Especialy the exercise.

Go 6 or 8wks and put up.

You only pass this way once.

matt

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 01:28:13 pm »
put your pices up a fair bit, this might cull a few

then go ever y6 weeks, this will reduce your workload

jeff1

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 03:52:16 pm »
Hi Tim

All of the above advice is excellent, your a long time dead, and I can't see your Boss (wife) or your kids Appreciating, you not being around, because you decided on health & Saftey and earning more money.

I'm 100% sure they would sooner have you around and be poor, than to not having you there and having a few quid insurance.

Can not one of your three teenagers give you a hand to help you with the work load?, and you will have someone working with you, that you can 100% trust and  rely upon.

Get well soon buddie and for your family's sake take life easy ;)

JM123

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 04:25:17 pm »
I'm no expert but I'd say put your prices up - 15%, if you still haven't lost any then sell some work or hand it over to someone else.  Finally, make sure you are using the lightest poles you can get (and afford).

Best of luck to you mate.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

billygoat

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 06:55:13 pm »
thanks for the advice and concern,but fourtunately my genaral health is good,go to the gym twice a week, don't smoke,probabaly drink to much but you gotta have some sort of vice :).  The heart problem,as the doctors have said is just one of those things,bad luck ect.By the way I'm 48.

Anyway back to the work problem,I went out today and did 10 houses plus a garage and put the price up between 25-30% on each one.No one complained so this could be the answer,as this would enable me to drop other work.Also I think going 8 weekly on some of my 4 week work would lighten the load aswell,obviously with an increase of price.

I have a 14 yr old son who I think will start helping me out soon,so with all these different options I should be able to sort it all out.

Thanks again lads for your input,

Tim

JM123

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 10:19:05 pm »
Hi Tim, good to hear you got a little pay rise today  ;)

Last point I want to make is for you to put YOU 1st.

Its your body, your health you have to look after.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

EasyClean

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 10:24:11 pm »
Your health, family and wealth. Ash yourself what's the most important?
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!