Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

What do you do when quoting for new work

Ask how much their w/c charges and quote a lower price

0 (0%)
Match the price of their previous w/c
2.6%
2 (2.6%)
Add a 50p on top of the previous w/c price
2.6%
2 (2.6%)
Stick to your guns and price what your worth and walk away if customer says no
94.7%
72 (94.7%)

Total Members Voted: 74

DASERVICES

What do you do when quoting for new work
« on: December 30, 2006, 12:38:35 pm »

Hope the above option's explain it but I used to do all the above when starting out, but now I stick to my price and will never lower it. If the customer refuses I just walk away.

Doug

S_RICHARDSON

Re: What do you do when quoting for new work
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 01:09:43 pm »
Price it as i see nessessary and how much i want if they don't like it then it's their loss!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 01:27:57 pm »

Hope the above option's explain it but I used to do all the above when starting out, but now I stick to my price and will never lower it. If the customer refuses I just walk away.

Doug

I do it your way too.  A customer who beats the price down and is allowed to do so will usually try it on in other ways too eventually.  Even if they don't, I often feel like I've had my pocket picked each time I go there.
I have two jobs where I allowed this to happen.  One of them I'm OK with because, if truth be told, I did put in a cracking price to start with.  The other one tries to get extra work out of me for nothing which I always refuse and I'm starting to get peed off with her for asking.  Both jobs are still quite well priced in spite of the lower price.
If I am asked to do extra work again F.O.C., I will lay it on the line that one more such request will result in me withdrawing the service.  It's got to the point where I dislike going there.  I'm OK with the job but for the freebie requests.

lee_dewing

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 01:57:55 pm »
shiner
know what you mean about extra work had a customer ask me to go over her garage door i said there would be an extra charge of £5.
"why it will only take a few mins"
more work=more money i told her.
I'l do it myself then.

I've hardened up alot later >:(
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 05:25:02 pm »
Why all this preoccupation with "previous window cleaner"?  (1st 3 poll options)

When I'm canvassing, if they say "I've already got a window cleaner" I say "thank you" and walk away.  It's a waste of time trying to poach someone elses work, and it'll gain you enemies.

Cheers,

Ian

KarlJones

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 09:09:51 pm »
as someone very new.  I think almost the same as Ian.  The only difference, with me having lots of time and no work, rejections based on price would obviously make me take a pub brake and rethink my prices.

However,  I just would never quote another window cleaners job,  even if they begged it just is not worth the effort.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

George P

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 10:04:52 pm »
if asked to do it cheaper as there old window cleaner was cheaper then i say why did you stop him cleaning - usual response not very good or very reliable, we are good and reliable but if you want other quotes for less ring round and if you want us you have our number, some say yes some say no, it depends on how much you need work at the time

Count Phil

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 10:32:18 pm »
If you really need work, you're better at least doing something until you get more better work.

I got pressured by someone to do the windows and she really pushed it even though she had a cleaner. It was because I had a wfp. I did it against my better judgement and she dropped me after three cleans because she found someone else! Lesson learnt.

If they have one and are dropping them for you, they wont think twice before doing the same to you..

matt

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 11:02:37 pm »
i dont like the poll

it hasnt got the "rich tax" option

if its a big house, add a couple of quid on, hey people in bog houses Should pay more

DASERVICES

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 12:00:02 am »

Thanks lads , the majority of you treat your job as a business. Pitty we could not educate the w/c who go around trying to get business by undercutting you for peanuts.

Doug

KarlJones

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 12:25:05 am »
Just doing research and asking around, some prices make your jaw drop they are that low.  My guess is they have done some wierd calculation, probably thinking they can clean windows for 60 hrs a week, week in, week out.

I think I am going to call em incy wincys,  down comes the rain and washes them out.

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

JohnL

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 01:14:58 am »
I voted no 4 - I dont get into a price discussion and to date I have never priced against another WCer

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 07:56:57 am »
shiner
know what you mean about extra work had a customer ask me to go over her garage door i said there would be an extra charge of £5.
"why it will only take a few mins"
more work=more money i told her.
I'l do it myself then.

I've hardened up alot later >:(

Yes Lee.
If I didn't harden up about such things, there are customers who would walk all over me.

Londoner

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 08:13:34 am »
What about when you give the customer a price and thet say "Oh is that all? I thought it would be much more than that"

Exactly that happened to me about two weeks before Christmas.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 09:41:23 am »
if she is a stunner knock off 50% ;D :-*
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 11:35:35 am »
What about when you give the customer a price and thet say "Oh is that all? I thought it would be much more than that"

Exactly that happened to me about two weeks before Christmas.

Happens to me sometimes.

Don't take it too literally - they may change their minds when they see how quickly you can do it,  on the other hand, if you've quoted a decent price, you should both be happy :)

Cheeers,

Ian