Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve Chapman

carpet damage
« on: December 14, 2006, 06:10:26 pm »
 Have some carpets to clean for letting agency next week and they have one fairly new carpet which is a looped carpet but has some long threads pulled on it as if someone has dragged some furniture over and pulled them badly ::)

Is there anything i can do cosmetically to make them look better or is it just not worth the hassle?

They pass me lot of work so i said i'd have a look and they desperate (as always ::)) not to shell out for new carpet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,  no photo's as can't get in there till next week.

regards
steve

Alan Brooker. Aqualink Carpet Care

Re: carpet damage
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 07:41:28 pm »
What's the primary backing?

Alan
Experience does not qualify as Knowledge and Understanding.
Understand how and why and you'll produce great results.

IICRC, Woolsafe, Fenice & LTT trained.
Member of Eco Carpet Care, NCCA & Woolsafe.

calmore

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 07:46:13 pm »
How many threads are pulled?

It's amazing the damage that dragging things can do. I cleaned some carpet tiles the other week where someone had dragged a piece  of furniture. The friction had caused the synthetic fibres if the tiles to melt, leaving a couple of deep lines across the floor.
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

Cloverleaf

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 10:14:43 pm »
You could cut the pulled threads and it would look much better but only with permission from the agency.

John

Damian

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 10:51:25 pm »
Steve(carpet doc) buy a pair of nap or napping shears and trim the loose fibres mate-it will improve the appearance no end. Thats all you can do with loops.

Damian.
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

Steve Chapman

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 11:45:33 pm »
i was thinking about pulling the carpet back and then using a needle to pull through the threads to the underside, does that seem possible, it;s not something i've tried before?

I was thining aswell that if i trim the threads it might actually make it worse or leave a hole :-\

regards
steve

Jeremy

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 04:56:09 am »
Just cut the threads. Causes no more damage than has already been done, and the appearance is improved. Everyone happy.

Jeremy

carpetclean

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 06:13:18 am »
i always carry scissors for this purpose clear it with the client and they are impressed with such a simple solution
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

woodman

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 01:23:48 pm »
It is possible to effect a pretty good repair on loop piles, that is if you are able to do re-weaving/re-tufting, if not a CC local to you may be able to assist.

If the carpet is secondary backed you can re-weave the loop back in, if its foam/felt backed then as the others have said just snip it off to prevent it being pulled further.

carpetguy

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 03:28:39 pm »
why don't you just do what you've been asked to do............................clean the carpets, presumably you've already stated you're observations to the agent..............never create problems, when none exist.

robbie