Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

giftedk

high tds reading
« on: November 28, 2006, 11:11:47 am »
HI all
wonder if anyone can help ? im getting a reading of 017 coming out. Of recent i have renewed my filters and put a new lot of resin in, but cannot work out why it is not coming out at 000. Can anyone help ? I have a ro 200, could it be anything to do with the two white tubes  on top and do they ever need replacing?
all help appreciated !

Paul Coleman

Re: high tds reading
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:53:03 am »
HI all
wonder if anyone can help ? im getting a reading of 017 coming out. Of recent i have renewed my filters and put a new lot of resin in, but cannot work out why it is not coming out at 000. Can anyone help ? I have a ro 200, could it be anything to do with the two white tubes  on top and do they ever need replacing?
all help appreciated !

Coming out of where?  At what point are you taking this reading?
When youi say you have changed the filters are you just meaning the pre-filters?  By the two white tubes, do you mean the membrane housings?  I imagine these are the membrane housings as you have a 200 GPD so it would make sense.
A possibility that springs to mind is that you left it too long between changing the other (pre) filters and this has caused the membranes to become damaged - probably meaning that new membranes are needed.  This would cause the TDS to climb sharply and would eat through the resin quickly.  Are you able to test the TDS immediately before the membranes and immediately after (before resin).  This may (or may not) confirm my suspicions.

giftedk

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 12:17:32 pm »
HI all
all help appreciated !

Coming out of where?  At what point are you taking this reading?
When youi say you have changed the filters are you just meaning the pre-filters?  By the two white tubes, do you mean the membrane housings?  I imagine these are the membrane housings as you have a 200 GPD so it would make sense.
A possibility that springs to mind is that you left it too long between changing the other (pre) filters and this has caused the membranes to become damaged - probably meaning that new membranes are needed.  This would cause the TDS to climb sharply and would eat through the resin quickly.  Are you able to test the TDS immediately before the membranes and immediately after (before resin).  This may (or may not) confirm my suspicions.

hold on will go and check

giftedk

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 01:24:51 pm »
right i have checked and its 515 before the membranes, and 031 after and before the di filter. does this confirm your theory?

carlfoster

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 02:09:35 pm »
What kind of DI filter housing do you have? If it's the little 700ml ones, then you may not have got the inside part sealed off properly when you closed it. If this is the case, the water wouldn't flow through the resin but rather around it.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 02:16:37 pm »
right i have checked and its 515 before the membranes, and 031 after and before the di filter. does this confirm your theory?

Possibly but not necessarily. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.  If the TDS is climbing a lot more sharply than usual and this has been a fairly sudden change then it may well be the membranes.  If this is the problem, it may be accompanied by a fairly sudden drop in pure water production rate as well.

Usually you can reckon on changing the pre-filters every six months (possibly less) and the membranes every two years.  This can vary but that's the general idea.  Do you know when you last changed the pre-filters?  Presumably you have never changed the membranes in view of your original post?

It seems odd that your TDS reading after DI is 017 when you have only recently changed the resin and when the TDS after RO is 031.  At 031 TDS you should be able to get 15,000 or more litres from a 25 litre bag.  Would your DI unit happen be a very small one?  For instance, if it holds just 2 litres of resin, at 031 TDS, you would maybe get 1,200 - 1,400 litres of pure water before needing to change it.

giftedk

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 04:04:58 pm »
thanks lads a lovely reding of 000, im so happy ill clean everyones windows for free tomorrow.!
ok well i wont go over the top but you catch me drift
did find a black rubber washer off the bottom, so maybe it was that !
tds reading off ro unit still says 010, but handheld tds says 000 so thats good enough for me.
thanks again for those who helped.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 05:22:42 pm »
thanks lads a lovely reding of 000, im so happy ill clean everyones windows for free tomorrow.!
ok well i wont go over the top but you catch me drift
did find a black rubber washer off the bottom, so maybe it was that !
tds reading off ro unit still says 010, but handheld tds says 000 so thats good enough for me.
thanks again for those who helped.

Ah yeah.  Those washers.  Surprised I didn't think of it.  Happened to me once as well.