Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cleanability

Dry clean only suites
« on: September 12, 2006, 06:41:52 pm »
Wet cleaned another supposed "dry clean only" suite today with no problems. It was plain beige corduroy type ribbed fabric. In 8 years doing this job I think I've turned down maybe 1 or 2 suites that couldnt be wet cleaned. If the custy had followed the cleaning instructions on the suite she would have called in Service Master and payed 3 times as much as I charge.
Are there actually any suites out there which cant be wet cleaned ( apart from the viscose velours)?
People ask me this and I've never heard of it happening but, can a suite material shrink?

Thanx
Chris

John Kelly

Re: Dry clean only suites
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:27:32 pm »
Nearly as bad as the bloody carpet fitters advising people against wet cleaning, it'l shrink pet.
Had one only yesterday, thanfully she disregarded his advice. How much damage are these idiots doing?

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 07:32:02 pm »
Chris

I have cleaned suites over the past four years that had dry clean only on, with no problems. I always ask the customer whether it has been done before and also whether they have tipped liquids on it and was there any problems.

I have also noticed a lot of suites have little tags sewn in the cushin seams saying do not dry clean yet the main lable says dry clean. I think this is to tell the householder not to remove the cushions, if possible and put in the machine. One customer did this and the colours in the rope trim ran into the white material.

As far as shrinkage is concerned, touch wood it hasn't happened to me yet. If i am unsure i always clean 1 cushion then dry it. Better to ruin a cushion than all of suite.

Dave

Damian

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 07:51:00 pm »
Nearly as bad as the bloody carpet fitters advising people against wet cleaning, it'l shrink pet.
Had one only yesterday, thanfully she disregarded his advice. How much damage are these idiots doing?
Not me John-i fit carpets and clean them using HWE! Its the only way. I dont hear many fitters around here saying dont wet clean. A lot of mates do the same as me aswell.  ;D

Regards

Damian.
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

John Kelly

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 07:53:13 pm »
I know there are a lot of sensible fitters out there, however this is not the first time I have encountered this. To be fair he has probably had to re-fit after dodgy cleaners and thinks we are all the same.

cleanability

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 07:59:51 pm »
I've even had dry clean only on a patterned dralon suite.

Chris

*paul_moss

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 08:03:30 pm »
Chris
The main reason they stipulate dry clean only is because that the solvents used in dry cleaning will not affect  the fire retardent hence cause a claim.Some chemicals in wet cleaning can and will reduce the the capabilities of the fire retardent.

I use m/s on suites mainly because they will not affect the fire retardent nor the protector thats in place.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

davep

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 08:25:42 pm »
What types of products and methods do you find best for cleaning suites?