Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MrsMeredith

Website Copying
« on: September 03, 2006, 10:55:34 am »
It saddens me when i come across a member here who has blatantly copied the bulk of my text/words plus my catchy "slogan" that i use on my website. Maybe i should be flattered, but i honestly think: why can't they sit down just as i did and think of complimentary wording/ideas etc and apply it to their website.

I'm not sure how i stand on here as to naming the said person and i certainly do not want to cause a flame war but my website has 1 very unique feature: Gift Certificates, which has also been copied!!

I have been intouch with my webmaster and he is currently emailing her and the hosting company to inform them of this (although i think she is fully aware of whats been done)

Disgustingly  ::)

Tracey.x

Mrs Nicholls

Re: Website Copying
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 11:03:28 am »
is this persons services based anywhere near you?

lazy and cheeky, aren't they.
I did all my own woring aswell. I've yet to come across someone who has capoied mine, but then every so often i change it all, to keep it updated anyway.

Thanks for the email links tracey  ;)

ValueValeting

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 11:13:32 am »
Copyright theft is copyright theft, contact a local solicitor dealing with intellectual property rights if it offends you too much.

We have had 2 incidents so far this year, 1 backed down as soon as we (not solictors) contacted them, 1 hasn't - the solicitors letter is going out this week.

Fairly obviously you can claim costs back from the offending party, but you prolly should speak to a solicitor or at the very least the FSB legal advice line (if you are a member) before contacting the other party.

Don't forget it could be costly financially to you, if they refuse to pay costs and titsup the company.

Phil

Mr BSF

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 12:16:13 pm »
Go on name and shame em ;D we can all have a look then and judge for ourselves if a crime has been commited :o

On a serious note: this is a very common problem, if you decide to advertise on the net you leave yourself open to others pinching your ideas, that is life, but I cannot understand how someone does have the cheek to allegedly copy things from another member’s site and blatantly advertise it on this forum.

Regards

BSF ;D

leuthedog

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 01:07:06 pm »
MrsMeredith

Have you tried e-mailing them to ask why they have decided to use your work instead of their own?

Personally I would confront them first to give them an opportunity to explain their reasons. I would also suggest that you ask them to completely review their text and/or designs and stress that if they continue to use your work that you'll have no option but to seek legal advice.

This is one subject that really bothers me, which is why I have sort legal advice and in the process of trademarking my name - there will always be someone out there ready to rip you off or pinch an idea, no matter what industry you are in. The majority are for fair play by play by usual rules but sadly there still are the few that seem to think they have a right to pinch/copy and abuse someone else's hard work.

A warning to us all I think!

*Chris Browne

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 01:55:46 pm »
I don't think it would be a good idea to name and shame, (although i have seen the mentioned site, and is a blatant ripp off) i would advise Tracey to email her/him first and explain the situation, sometimes quotes and ideas are passed on four or five fold so it could be that someone else unknowingly actually put the info on her/his site for them, so just drop them a polite email first ;D   this usually does the trick.

Chris

MrsMeredith

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 08:21:29 pm »
Thanks every1 for your replies, no this company are not in my area, luckily!

What a surprise i had just when i logged into my email and found this:

19:04 (58 minutes ago)

Hi There
i did not  realise that words from other web sites were not allowed to be
reproduced
As you can see my own web site is my wording and pic only

It was sent just over an hour ago, initially my webmaster had emailed them this morning, so obviously they have now changed their website completely,,,,someone i know off another forum had seen thier website this morning and even commented that it was a blatant copy of mine!!,,,,hence the above message of "as you can see my own web site is my wording and pic only" !!! yeah right ok,,,it is now you have been and changed it completely!!!

Tracey.

MrsMeredith

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 08:55:18 am »
I did not really want to add any further to this  but feel that i must make some things clear:

I have never ever said that NAMING AND SHAMING should happen when something like this happens.

I have never ever asked or condoned that other MEMBERS HERE SHOULD EMAIL THE PERSON WHO HAD BY MISTAKE COPIED EXACT TEXT FROM MY WEBSITE AND CONFRONT HER!!

I ALSO DID NOT EVER MENTION THE NAME/WEBSITE ADDRESS OF THE PERSON CONCERNED,,,,,YET I RECEIVE THREATENING EMAIL FROM THIS PERSON SAYING I AM INFRINGING ON HIS/HER PRIVACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE ALSO SINCE BEEN ACCUSED OF TELLING OTHER PEOPLE HIS/HER WEBSITE DETAILS IN CONFIDENCE - WHEN IN FACT HE/SHE HAS THE WEBSITE ON THEIR PROFILE AS A MEMBER HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Tracey.

leuthedog

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 09:41:00 am »
MrsMeredith

To end this clear hostility I would simply point out to this person that if they continue to behave in this way you will report them for harassment - which is a criminal offence.

You are dealing with a business, they should be professional in whatever they set out to do - I simply would not tolerate this from a business/company.