Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ian m

G/ F pole life expectancy
« on: August 27, 2006, 03:51:06 pm »
Hi
just wondering what sort of life expectancy you would expect from a glass fibre pole. ???

I know thay are all not the same but would be interested in reading what sort of experience you guys have had.

Ive been using a ionics multipole since April 2005 and it is all but knackered, I got 16 months use,  is this good or bad?

thanx

Ian
I know you are out there....... I can hear you breathing

JM123

Re: G/ F pole life expectancy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 04:00:18 pm »
the Ionics multipole is an exel extender - thats a reasonably good life span, but it depends on how much you use the pole, are you constantly opening and closing the clamps etc etc.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 06:58:18 pm »
Dont snap the pole locks shut get used to moving the levers till they just "pinch"

ian m

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 09:44:38 pm »

Thanks guys

Funny thing is all the clamps are fine, I've had to tighten them a few times, but they are still in working order. The butt ring has been replaced, but the main wear is in the pole itself, where the clamp tightens the pole has become "squeezed" if you know what I mean.

Also the pole surface has become very rough, despite me using wax and Mr sheen to polish it.

JM123  I thought the extender was the very light pole? these?
http://www.reachandclean.co.uk/acatalog/water_fed_poles_and_parts.html

Mine is a bit heavier than the one described in the pic.

thanx

Ian

JM123

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 09:48:09 pm »
on the reachand clean website they haven't included the weight of the brush, as far as I am aware Ionics include the weight of the brush in their catalogue, is your pole the one with the small black brush, definitely residential, not commercial?

Ballymena N.I

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 10:19:38 pm »
Also the pole surface has become very rough, despite me using wax and Mr sheen to polish it.

When my pole starts to feel rough I get very fine wet/dry lightly rub it and then give it a fine coat of clear laquer (as used for vehicle spraying) I find that this can add a couple of months to the the poles life..which in my case is normally around 6 months (18ft domestic) but as I now purchase from Garner I only have to replace the pole sections ( I think I worked the costing at around £2.50 a week)
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

ian m

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 10:37:45 pm »
I used to have the small black brush, then I went for a large vikan, I now use the "autobrush" from P. fogwell. It is very light and I dont feel the strain on my back.

Thats a good idea windowcleaner, just buy new sections from gardiners!!!! also using the laquer.

thanx

Ian

JM123

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 10:42:17 pm »
if you are using the residential then gardiners don't do the seperate sections for them.

You can add a little lacquer to the worn part of the pole or for all the cost of them you could go for a new exel extender or ecoline - personally I'd go for the brodex eco-lite every time, more expensive but probably one of the very best poles on the market - also has an alloy basecap so you'll never need to replace it again, it also comes with duralok clamps which give you a much longer lifespan for the pole, so in practice the pole is lighter, more durable, easier to use, and works out better value than just about any other pole on the market.

£129 + VAT

Ballymena N.I

Extremeclean

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 11:17:09 pm »
18 ft universal ones is what we use mainly.  6 to 9 months and chuck em away.

I can't be bothered eeking out a month or two more use out of them messing around. Less than 100 quid each and think what they earn you. I have 2 of the Eco Lite Poles. Supposed to be 18 ft but they arent. 17 ft is more like it. They do seem like good poles though and I think I will get a lot more life out of them than the others. I've only had them a few weeks so time will tell.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 08:13:21 am »
Same as that, 18ft Universal and throw away after 9 months.

Am looking into the Tucker Aluminium pole as I think I may get better usage out of it in therms of durability?

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Alex Gardiner

Re: G/ F pole life expectancy New
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 08:54:59 am »
Hi Guys,

JM123 we do do replacement sections for both Residential and Professional poles, they are the same poles (universal)

18 months from an extender I would say is miraculous!!

I wish everyone looked after there poles like that.

Alex

S.A.J

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 11:47:32 am »
I too use the 18 foot extender pole 8 hours a day 5 days a week. they normaly last 6-7 months then i replace them. Down here in plymouth the 18ft only cost £69.25 to buy, not alot of money really (a few hours of work will pay for it :))

Stuart.