Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Simpson

Quiet week - Late Night - Early Call
« on: August 19, 2006, 03:35:03 pm »
Been going a few months now but been pretty quiet this week so after a late night last night, (approximately 2.30 am) I wasn't expecting any calls today especially not an early one.
But wouldn't you just know it the phone rings at 7.30am, wife grabs it thinking its for her as shes "on call" for work but its someone wanting a room cleaned, I'm still half asleep so she takes his details including room size, 20' x 18' foot, and says I will call him back within an hour.
I jump out of bed and work out a price and think about any questions I want to ask him before ringing him back. 10 minutes after the intial call I am ringing him back, only to be told he has already got someone as he didn't think I would ring back. I thought at least give me the chance to call you back, especially that early. I said do you want me to give you a price anyway so you've got options. No, he says, I've already booked him and its only £35.

20' x 18' foot.....for £35?

My price was more than double that, not that he got to find that out. How can someone make it worthwhile at that price?
Anyway I said good luck to him thinking it wouldn't be too clean at that price. Even if I came down a bit I couldn't get anywhere near that price. No wonder its been quiet this week.
So anyway I couldn't get back to sleep and spent the rest of the morning watching Saturday morning tv, no not cooking, which seemed to be on most channels but Soccer AM.
Looking forward to a busier week next week and no more late nights. At least not for a while.  ;D

David_Annable

Re: Quiet week - Late Night - Early Call
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 03:53:08 pm »
Hi

I would be asking myself if I wanted somebody like this as a customer.

Personally I dont.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

Fibreclean

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 04:11:54 pm »
You got 2 choices.

1. Keep your prices as they are and remain static ie quiet

2. Reduce prices, become competitive and get busy. Then put your prices up slowly like I've just done.

mark_roberts

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 04:16:43 pm »
Dont worry this will happen till the day you die.

But what you need to do is get a dedicated phone line for your business, divert it to your mobile and have a message on it when you cant take the call.

Im sure he wasent too impressed when someone answered with just a hello.  Who knows he may even have booked at your price.

Mark

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 06:41:46 pm »

I've found saturday mornings to be good for canvassing. This morning I picked up a full price job for next week and did four quotes in 3 hrs.

Out of 2000 leaflets however, Ihave only had one call back.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 06:50:13 pm »
I have been saying this for a long time it is quite dead out there,we went in 8 news papers and got 2 calls that went no where ???
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 08:03:46 pm »
OK here is a scenario, 2 twin brothers, carpet cleaners do exactly the same job, using the exactly the same equipment every thing is the same, but one charges £60 the other £160,

Question; why would any customer chose the £160 cleaner if they are exactly the same.

Answer; because the customer doesnt know that the £60 cleaner exist!! so believes that the price for the Job is £160.

the is the most important lesson about prices, if only you price then they can't compare.

Paul if you had answered the phone quoted £70 and he booked you in then it doesnt matter that that other company quoted £35 because he would have never found out.

Mike

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

nick p

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 08:05:11 pm »
hi

this will happen i missed a call the other day when i did ring back he told me hes now sorted ive got cd coming round to do a quote but i talked him round into letting me do a quote aswell telling him its always best to have a couple of quotes wouldnt say this if i was the only one going round

im now doing the job next friday £194 and cd havent even done there quote yet

having calls now diverted to mobile as i could of lost it

cheers nick

Paul Simpson

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 09:23:20 pm »
Fair point Nick, Mike & Mark.
I think I should be sorting out my contact numbers so I know what calls are potential customers.
Currently have a mobile that goes everywhere with me and I treat as the main contact number, but also have my home number listed. Most calls so far have been to the mobile, today was only the second to my landline. So maybe I should set up a "dedicated phone line" as Mark suggested.
Anyone got any ideas on costs of setting up a business line with BT in your home?

Mark Roberts

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 09:52:17 pm »
I think its 45 quid as just had it done again as moved house, it might even be free if your in the same house stiil.
Worth doing.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 10:10:51 pm »
Quite a few years ago I set up a line and transfer all calls to the mobile. I cant change it now as the building the line was in has been demolished! Anyway my turnover increased by 30% overnight because I was answering calls & not on an answering mc.
My 0800 no now goes onto that line as well, that was a further 25% increase.
Well worth it.
Its still been quiet lately.

Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

AJB

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 12:03:17 am »
Get a BT distinctive ring number, i pay about £5 a month, 2 numbers ringing on same line.
My 0800 number diverts to the newer number, and rings in a different way so we know when it is business.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

AJB

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 12:05:34 am »
PS  very busy at the moment, unfortunatly off on holiday in the morning,
could have done with staying at home. But at least several jobs booked in for
September.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

Ian Rochester

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 07:52:46 am »
Most people find August to be a quieter month, kids are  on holiday and around the house all day so people don't want tradesmen around, or a lot of people are on holiday themselves.  You should still be getting a reasonable list of enquiries as there are still a lot of people who do prefer their carpets to be cleaned when it's dry and warm.

You can guarantee that when it is raining outside you will get very few enquiries, even if you are looking weeks ahead.

I took last week off as holiday and have a full week booked in for next week and most of the week after, 07:30am start most mornings next week.

However, unlike Paul, we do not price at £70 for a living room carpet, but we still make a good living. 

Remember, you need turnover to make profit, no turnover, no profit, no matter what your prices are!

Take some of the advice given, always answer the call professionally, no matter what time of the day, have your diary close by at all times, if you are going to be away from your main phone ensure it is diverted to your mobile, price competitively in order to gain work, once you have a good reputation and are gaining work from recommendations and are fully occupied, then you can start looking at your prices.

the red carpet

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 06:07:49 pm »
And dont spend saturday mornings watching telly, thats a luxury that comes once you have got the phone rining regulaly. If your still in the early days and a bit quite, spare time should be spent posting leaflets or sending direct mail.

If you dont do the marketing it will never pick up.