Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Robin94

DI resin working speed
« on: May 30, 2022, 08:39:42 am »
Hi guys.
I’ve recently moved house which has much more powerful mains pressure
It used to take about 4-5 hours to fill a 350 litre tank but now it’s only taking about an hour.
TDS works out about the same but I’m changing my resin way sooner than I normally do by at least a half

Does resin work more efficiently at at a slower flow rate? I’ve put my numbers in the resin calculator and even they are saying I shouldn’t be changing this early

Cheers for anyone that can give me any insight

Granny

Re: DI resin working speed
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 08:45:47 am »
WinProClean posted a few years ago you might be able to search for it. Anyway he did rather extensive tests on flow rate and resin life I think the outcome was faster flow rate through the resin=less efficiency.

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 09:17:32 am »
Has your tap water tds changed from the old to the new house?

What is the tds of the pure from your r/o (before di) compared to your tap water tds?

What is the ratio between waste to pure when processing water?

If you are using more resin but using a similar amount of water, then we could conclude that the tds from the r/o before di has gone up. Has it gone up because the membranes are not working efficiently, or because the tap water has increased tds levels?

How often do you change your prefilters, especially your carbon block one? The carbon block filter removes chlorine from the water. Chlorine eats membrane material. If the service life of the C/B filter is past, then chlorine could be getting into your membrane and destroying it.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 06:10:36 pm »
Yep, flow rate affects resin efficiency. As the resin gets older, the worse this becomes. Two vessels in your van is the most efficient method IMO. Fill tank with tap water and pump through the vessels. This has been my experience.
Comfortably Numb!

Robin94

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 08:56:42 pm »
WinProClean posted a few years ago you might be able to search for it. Anyway he did rather extensive tests on flow rate and resin life I think the outcome was faster flow rate through the resin=less efficiency.

Thanks, looks like this was the majority answer across everywhere I asked. Just wanted to know whether it was true without having to go through all the testing.

Robin94

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 08:59:26 pm »
Has your tap water tds changed from the old to the new house?

What is the tds of the pure from your r/o (before di) compared to your tap water tds?

What is the ratio between waste to pure when processing water?

If you are using more resin but using a similar amount of water, then we could conclude that the tds from the r/o before di has gone up. Has it gone up because the membranes are not working efficiently, or because the tap water has increased tds levels?

How often do you change your prefilters, especially your carbon block one? The carbon block filter removes chlorine from the water. Chlorine eats membrane material. If the service life of the C/B filter is past, then chlorine could be getting into your membrane and destroying it.

Appreciate the help. tds coming out was maybe 1-2 better than the old house due to the added water pressure imagine. seems like i am just pumping too fast

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 07:29:55 pm »
Hi guys.
I’ve recently moved house which has much more powerful mains pressure
It used to take about 4-5 hours to fill a 350 litre tank but now it’s only taking about an hour.
TDS works out about the same but I’m changing my resin way sooner than I normally do by at least a half

Does resin work more efficiently at at a slower flow rate? I’ve put my numbers in the resin calculator and even they are saying I shouldn’t be changing this early

Cheers for anyone that can give me any insight

It takes me 30 mins to fill up my 500L tank....my 25l resin vessel lasts around 5 months before I need to change it....

My tap tds is only around the 25-30 mark though....
price higher/work harder!