Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

Re: Completely hit the wall
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 06:32:20 pm »
Steady Daz that 5 hour day will soon be 8 and I know how easy that can happen “Just when I think I’m out they pull me back in “ 🤣🤣,that’s the trouble with easy money it’s hard to say no.

no it wont!i value my time off mate,im not bothered about working longer for more money.it doesnt interest me.....

THATS THE WHOLE POINT!

i simply dont reach the stress levels some other window cleaners do...ive finished,filled my tank up,printed slips and invoices and downloaded worksheets by 4pm most days..... :)
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2021, 08:18:10 pm »
Terrible week.

Barely done anything.

Can't face the job. Just sick of it.

The business is growing which is what I want but I'm not at the point of employing so all these new jobs are piling up. First cleans taking ages. Id be happy if I was off the tools but a long way to go.

Any advice?

You have to decide what you want and why you are doing it, im exactly the same i work myself to death and feel stressed, knackered and fed up a lot. I cant be arsed most days.   Oddly for me this is going to be a record week, a mixture of having just put prices up and being so far behind ive just smashed it this week....But ive not enjoyed it, its been a hard slog, im aching all over and had enough.

The thing is you say you want to be off the tools and employ.

If you truly want to do that and expand then you might as well set someone on now, if you are the point of had enough just do it now. Sooner you do that the sooner you can concentrate on growing the round and looking to employ the next one. You cant grow the business whilst killing yourself on the glass, you just wont have the energy after a hard day.

But you actually need to question if you truly want to employ , now i know when you dont like cleaning windows its easy to imagine having someone else out there doing the work, but that can actually be more stressfull. You will have to train them, deal with complaints and equipment damage. You need to pay them regardless of weather and your van being off the road. You have to put up with them turning up at your house everyday to work blurring the lines between business and home life. You have to sort their pension and sick pay cope with them not turning up when you book work in. You will spend time and money building the round for them to leave a few months down the line dropping you in the poo. The extra work to organise things on an evening...the list goes on.

In your head you imagine a couple of guys going out doing the work whilst you switch off and go play golf...except you cant switch off, they ring up... cant find this house, vans broken down, equipment failure, someone texting you saying a window has been missed. They become like a parasitic leech sucking and draining the life out of you. Its like having a child or a dog, you are responsible for everythimg and taking care of them. You cant get a break from them apart from when they are on holiday.

So think carefully what you actually want, rather than just growing for the sake of growing, do you want more money or more free time ?

If its the latter, perhaps put your prices up and reduce your days down to 3 a week. If its money you chase then you will never be satisfied anyway.

For me personally im getting fed up of the window cleaning business, its very boring and tiring working 5 days on your own and employing is just as bad... when you crunch the numbers it just doesnt scale very well at all, most service businesses dont. Im seriously thinking about selling work off and going down to 3 days a week to free up some time to look at other business opportunitys and take bit of a break from it, im sick of thinking about cleaning windows it takes over your life.... i think we work so hard and get blinkered into thinking because we want to grow a business it has to be window cleaning as thats all we know, but theres a big world out there with lots of opportunitys to explore so maybe think outside the box.

It doesnt help ive not had  a week off, a holiday or a break for a year now apart from christmas its just relentless.

NWH

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2021, 08:42:59 pm »
If you want to employ relatively stress free you need some capital you will stress and work yourself half to death trying to work with someone and build at the same time,give yourself 6 months for him to know most of the jobs or at least have an idea.
When he can do days on his own you can then try and build on what you’ve already got and if you have money in the bank his wages and waiting for money to come in won’t be a nightmare,a lot of good businesses go to the wall because they have no cash and you know what they say cash is king.

jay moley

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 08:52:32 pm »
Terrible week.

Barely done anything.

The business is growing which is what I want but I'm not at the point of employing so all these new jobs are piling up. First cleans taking ages. Id be happy if I was off the tools but a long way to go.

Any advice?

You have to decide what you want and why you are doing it, im exactly the same i work myself to death and feel stressed, knackered and fed up a lot. I cant be arsed most days.   Oddly for me this is going to be a record week, a mixture of having just put prices up and being so far behind ive just smashed it this week....But ive not enjoyed it, its been a hard slog, im aching all over and had enough.

The thing is you say you want to be off the tools and employ.

If you truly want to do that and expand then you might as well set someone on now, if you are the point of had enough just do it now. Sooner you do that the sooner you can concentrate on growing the round and looking to employ the next one. You cant grow the business whilst killing yourself on the glass, you just wont have the energy after a hard day.

But you actually need to question if you truly want to employ , now i know when you dont like cleaning windows its easy to imagine having someone else out there doing the work, but that can actually be more stressfull. You will have to train them, deal with complaints and equipment damage. You need to pay them regardless of weather and your van being off the road. You have to put up with them turning up at your house everyday to work blurring the lines between business and home life. You have to sort their pension and sick pay cope with them not turning up when you book work in. You will spend time and money building the round for them to leave a few months down the line dropping you in the poo. The extra work to organise things on an evening...the list goes on.

In your head you imagine a couple of guys going out doing the work whilst you switch off and go play golf...except you cant switch off, they ring up... cant find this house, vans broken down, equipment failure, someone texting you saying a window has been missed. They become like a parasitic leech sucking and draining the life out of you. Its like having a child or a dog, you are responsible for everythimg and taking care of them. You cant get a break from them apart from when they are on holiday.

So think carefully what you actually want, rather than just growing for the sake of growing, do you want more money or more free time ?

If its the latter, perhaps put your prices up and reduce your days down to 3 a week. If its money you chase then you will never be satisfied anyway.

For me personally im getting fed up of the window cleaning business, its very boring and tiring working 5 days on your own and employing is just as bad... when you crunch the numbers it just doesnt scale very well at all, most service businesses dont. Im seriously thinking about selling work off and going down to 3 days a week to free up some time to look at other business opportunitys and take bit of a break from it, im sick of thinking about cleaning windows it takes over your life.... i think we work so hard and get blinkered into thinking because we want to grow a business it has to be window cleaning as thats all we know, but theres a big world out there with lots of opportunitys to explore so maybe think outside the box.

It doesnt help ive not had  a week off, a holiday or a break for a year now apart from christmas its just relentless.

Good post.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2021, 09:10:04 pm »
don't really agree with the 'separates men from the boys' school of motivation, though if it works for you thats all good.

maybe its an age thing too... that work harder and harder approach can work wonders when you're younger or for certain personality types. its not for everyone

i would recommend you make sure you are taking some time off. have a long weekend and just get away from work.

work smarter... daz always has a good approach to business for a solo operator

think like an athlete.. they build rest periods into their extreme performance. they know that you need to have down time to be able to keep up their top performance.

also obviously as a few on here go on about... nutrition, fitness, laying off the beers, and getting some sleep all help (whilst allowing the odd treat when you want them)

iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

OnPoint

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2021, 10:06:13 pm »

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2021, 02:13:54 pm »
Terrible week.

Barely done anything.

Any advice?

feeling any better jay?
price higher/work harder!

jay moley

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2021, 03:47:43 pm »
Terrible week.

Barely done anything.

Any advice?

feeling any better jay?

Thanks for asking.

I got out yesterday and did a full day.

I felt a bit better. Had numerous hose tangles tho!

Feel a lot better now the weekend is here. Think I need to recharge mentally.  Going to have a better week next week.