Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Clean Cloth

Personal accident insurance
« on: November 22, 2019, 01:38:48 pm »
I do have public liability insurance in case I damage the property I am working on.

I have been thinking lately what would happen if I fell off the ladder (I have about 12 jobs that require a ladder and 10 that I use small steps on) or tripped over one of the many obstacles like plant pots, hose pipes, dogs, uneven slabs etc.

I am only on my second year in business and do not have enough customers to be picky and get rid of any unless they really annoy me.

Do any of you have personal injury insurance and what should I make sure it covers?
Any companies to avoid?

deeege

Re: Personal accident insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 01:50:51 pm »
I don’t bother with it. From personal experience they are a nightmare to claim against, usually finding any loophole they can to not pay out.

Personally I keep aside 6 months living expenses should I not be able to work for a period of time.

I’d also look to replace the ladder jobs with WFP work to reduce the risk.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Anthonywakefield

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 04:00:17 pm »
Your right deeege they are a waste of time they will get out of it if they can and besides there is a defferd period on them normally around 3 months which means you can't claim till 3 months after your accident so it would have to be some thing fairly bad to be taking all that time off  and you also have to pay the doc for any sick notes you have to provide , save what ever money you can  in the good times for any rainy days ahead You may have !

Splash & dash

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 04:14:57 pm »
I have personal accident insurance , the company Ime with arnt now taking on new customers it’s called cica , I had an accident 5 years ago that resulted in having a year off work they paid out no problem at all  , just had to send the hospitals report of the operation I had and a covering letter from my GP stating how long I was off work and why ,paid the mortgage and main bills , I think you need to be selective what insurance company you use but if you have a mortgage to pay it’s a no brainier but to have it

Clean Cloth

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 07:26:08 pm »
Differing opinions so I will have to do some more research before making a decision.
I do have 6 months wages saved.
No mortgage but do pay all the bills myself.

windowswashed

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 08:11:12 am »
I have personal accident insurance , the company Ime with arnt now taking on new customers it’s called cica , I had an accident 5 years ago that resulted in having a year off work they paid out no problem at all  , just had to send the hospitals report of the operation I had and a covering letter from my GP stating how long I was off work and why ,paid the mortgage and main bills , I think you need to be selective what insurance company you use but if you have a mortgage to pay it’s a no brainier but to have it

When I had a mortgage it was peace of mind to have income personal protection for the long term of the mortgage

KS Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 10:36:42 am »
Problem with these policies is that they calculate any pay out based on your profit. I have bought a new van this year which will obviously lower my profit, so if I had one of these policies and made a claim next year the likelihood is that it would pay out a pittance. Another example is if you perhaps employ your missus to reduce your tax liabilities, this will also have an effect on any pay out.
If you are thinking of taking out one of these policies, read the small print.

Clean Cloth

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 12:22:33 pm »
Will the van purchase make that much difference, don't vans come under capital allowance and are worked out over a number of years?