Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mufcglen

Will Ro membrane dry out?
« on: March 29, 2019, 07:50:03 am »
Hi lads I go away for 4 weeks and wondered could my 4040 membrane dry out in that time or will I be ok?
I’ve Heard they can get damaged or not be as efficient once they’ve dried out?

Smudger

Re: Will Ro membrane dry out?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 08:21:55 am »
It should be ok as when you shut down it will sit in water but 4 weeks is a long time so I’d be safe and pull it out of the housing and wrap in cling film

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

p1w1

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 09:28:36 am »
Yes will dry out and implode  ;D .. when I went away for 6 weeks (not prison  ;D) I took the membrane and filters out and put them in a black bin liner tied up and they were fine. On return just give it a good flush, i ended up just using new pre filters as there cheap to replace.

mufcglen

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 09:40:44 am »
Thanks guys I may leave the waste tap closed to hold more water in the Ro as I usually fully open it when I’ve finished filling and it drains at least another litre or two usually

herbiefatboy

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 04:42:01 pm »
how long do membrane last on average how do you know when they have had it sorry to go off topic a bit .

mufcglen

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 06:43:15 am »
I’d say when they start getting too high ppm readings its time to replace pal
I’ve had my axeon hf5 for nearly a year and half and its still producing pure down from 75-80ppm to 2-3ppm with a tap pressure of 40psi.
I think the worry is them drying out when not being used or freezing in the winter and damaging the membrane

Dry Clean

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 07:13:14 am »
To stop RO shock dry RO membranes need to be run in when first used, just give it a long flush and then bring the pressure up slowly when you get back and you wont have any problems, years back when I was out on the sick mine went for about 8 months without being used (so well dry) and it didn't cause any damage.

mufcglen

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 09:15:34 am »
Thanks pal, great advice
4 weeks is nothing then compared to your time off!
I’ll just flush it through for a good 5-10 mins then slowly close the tap off😉