Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jeff1

How Much can you Learn from a Forum?
« on: June 29, 2006, 04:32:54 pm »
Hi Guy's

Just getting into my car this morning to go off to work, and as I looked up all I could see was a Vikan Brush on the roof of a car coming down the road, Nothing Dangerous about it, it just caught my eye. (no wise cracks please  ;D)

Now let me explain I live in Somerset ,and wfp here is as rare as s**t from a rocking horse, (or so I thought).

The guy drove past, and waved (I didn't know him from adam) so I waved back. And you know those thoughts when a little light bulb appears above your head? Well I had one of them, so I jumped into my car and followed him, and when we got around the corner, he turned into the office block section of a large local builders. 

I got out and introduced myself, thank god he was freindly he might have thought I was stalking him, Big bloke aswell.
I told him that I was still a Traditional wc, and was looking into investing into wfp, To cut a long story short I spent the next two hours with him, being taught wfp work, Now I know two hour is not long, but when you have only seen the results, or a video,  to see and do it for your self was to me, very enjoyable, 

Now one section of windows, I would have had to move my Ladders three times, but in about four minutes they were all done.
Now I have read about you guys saying it is faster but to actually see it for real was amazing.

Now what I was saying in the title of this posting is True, He taught me about wfp work,

but I found myself teaching him about his equipment.
He did not know he was useing a vikan brush, he did not know that the thing that held the crystals was a DI tank, he didn't know how long his pole was,  And one tip I was able to give him after reading a post on here last night, was about putting a tennis ball on the end of his pipe to stop the connecter snagging on corners ect.

The guy was a Traditional wc for many years, and decided to go wfp, so since november last year he has been wfp, he bought his whole package from a shop 25 miles away from me. the guy in the shop just sold him whatever he could to make more money out of him.

The guy asked me how I knew so much Theory about wfp, so I told him I am a member of a wc forum, cleanitup, and told him all about you guy's with you're knowlage, and willingness to advise and help others.
The guy does not own a computer, but wrote the address down, so he can go around his mate's at the weekend and have a look at this site.

I would just like to say thanks guy's for all your help and advice in the past, Its not only helped me, and thousands of other guy's, but even non members benefit from this forum, so keep up the good work, because no doubt I'll be back for more when I do the big change.
This Forum is a Mine of knowlage, that gets updated every single day.

Ian Rochester

Re: How Much can you Learn from a Forum?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 04:40:47 pm »
I totally agree with your comments.

Yhere is always someone on here who has that extra little bit of knowledge that you need to get over a hurdle.

Likewise there are always topics coming up that you have never thought about, but can use.  (I never thought about the tennis ball, but will be putting that into practice tomorrow)

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 04:46:13 pm »
I totally agree with your comments.

Yhere is always someone on here who has that extra little bit of knowledge that you need to get over a hurdle.

Likewise there are always topics coming up that you have never thought about, but can use.  (I never thought about the tennis ball, but will be putting that into practice tomorrow)
Hi Lionheart

The tennis ball idea came from a posting on this forum, even the guy was impressed with the idea, he has gone through so many connectors this year. and will be adding one to his pipe tonight.  so its only thanks to you guy's 

brett walker

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 04:59:38 pm »
Hi Jeff

i also agree with you, i have learnt all i know about wfp on this forum and after being trad 15yrs i have picked some trad tips up also, so for me this forum and the members on it have been brilliant.

It just goes to show theres always new things to be learnt so a forum is a must for me

regards

Brett

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 05:30:51 pm »
Hi Jeff

i also agree with you, i have learnt all i know about wfp on this forum and after being trad 15yrs i have picked some trad tips up also, so for me this forum and the members on it have been brilliant.

It just goes to show theres always new things to be learnt so a forum is a must for me

regards

Brett

Hi Brett
Its not only knowlage we get from this forum, but little tips, like the one I have just posted on carbon fibre poles. I have to try and give something back to you guy's.

matt

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 05:49:53 pm »
jeff, where are you in Somerset

you can come and see my setup if you like

jeff1

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 06:22:41 pm »

Thanks Matt I'm in Helicopter country  ;D any Guess' ??

matt

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 07:36:26 pm »

Thanks Matt I'm in Helicopter country  ;D any Guess' ??

yeovil

im just up the a 303

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 07:50:19 pm »
I've been window cleaning for a little over three years, yet I think I would've 'jacked' window cleaning in, if it weren't for this forum.

Technique aside, I've has some excellent advice regarding pricing, how to charge and how to increase your current prices.

Hearing how others do 'daunting' stuff (it's not really daunting, but can be the first time round); really helped me.

Cheers guys.

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 07:52:35 pm »
Thanks Matt,
I do appreciate it
Can I contact you a bit nearer the time?, I'm Just waiting on all my bills to start comeing in from the building work I have just had done on the house.

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 08:00:30 pm »
There are not a lot of places, were you can learn, from other peoples mistakes.

macc

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 08:42:28 pm »
I switched to wfp last December, if it wasnt for this forum, members & sound advice & tips( im going to cry  :'( ) my life would be a night mare.

So, thanks guys & girls.  ;D

Macc

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 08:51:55 pm »
Hi Ive been WFP for about 4 years now and was quite happy plodding along earning a good wage (no stress) then I joined this forum (not been on for a while) anyway since joining these pages i've made a lot of new friends (even met a few) and have just equiped out a third van

thanks to the idea's but more importantly the motivation gained from others on here

Great place have a problem/question put a posting on here and have idea's solutions from several diffrent angles
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

beefy

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 10:40:13 pm »
its not just wfp . id never heard of dog earing, using yr scrim as a wet rag, bladeing raggers all,have saved me time & money & made my job even better than it is

Roy Harding

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 10:50:23 pm »
I have been window cleaning 22yrs, so its not what I learnt but seeing how other people run there bussiness.

But the forum keeps you intouch with other window cleanners that experience the same as you go through every day.

Roy

JM123

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 11:50:23 pm »
I think one of the great things about the forum is that is keeps me interested, I mean, for most people they go to work, bored most of the day and it becomes routine for them, on the other hand there's loads of new topics everyday on cleanitup - I seem to spend half my day wondering what topics someones gonna bring up etc when I get back home and log on.  Ok so I seem a bit sad, maybe I am but hey I'm glad the forum is here.  Especially when someone comes up with some new gizmo to try (can't wait to try out Gaz's swivel brush thingy)
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I