Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

sunshine windows

Blatant case of fraud
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:07:37 pm »
Whilst up a ladder the other day i got a phone call from a gentleman who asked, "hello is that Sunshine Window Cleaning". I responded with the yes how can i help you. This guy then went on to say how he had paid to have his windows cleaned for the whole year up front around 3 months ago and that he hadn't seen me again since.

I then went on to expain that i do not offer that kind of service (payment in advance), and that somebody had obviously conned him.

The guy who had been conned actually lives in the road where i've just moved from. Somebody local must have picked up my leaflet after i did the drop and gone round trying it on around the neighbourhood.

I've been round to see the unfortunate victim of this incident and he's more than happy that this has got nothing to with me. However, i was wondering how many other people this a*****e has conned and whether my name is being dragged through the mud because of his actions.

I have contacted the police about the matter but have been told they cannot act unless the victim of the crime makes a direct complaint. I can only contact a solicitor and deal with it through a civil court claiming damage to reputation and loss of earnings etc..

I have a feeling that the person who commited the offence is a local window cleaner himself because he must have the tools to clean this fellows windows in the first instance.

I have written this topic because i would like some advice on what to do about this matter and whether you think it would be worth contacting the local papers to highlight this issue. Do you think it would do more damage than good in having this brought to the publics attention.

Regards,
Sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

jeff1

Re: Blatant case of fraud
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 02:24:39 pm »
Hi Sunshine
sorry to hear of your dilema,

My advice to you would be to contact your local citizens advice bureaux, you will get half hour free, with there legal Solisitor's. It would be better to get expert help, rather than to jump in feet first.

I hope all goes well for you.

sunshine windows

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 02:38:27 pm »
Cheers Jeff.

The thing that is most upsetting is the fact that the police won't do anything on my sayso.

I have a feeling this guy is living in the area because he produced a leaflet when he knocked on the door of the guy he ripped off.

Sunshine
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 03:42:40 pm »
The thing is, the police can't do anything without proof, and I think the complaint has to come from your customer. 

If I was him and paid for 1 year in advance then I would certainly be down the police station. or keeping my eye open for him! >:(

spotless2000

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 08:12:27 pm »
My advice to you would be to contact your local citizens advice bureaux, you will get half hour free, with there legal Solisitor's. It would be better to get expert help, rather than to jump in feet first.

Great advice!

However, i was wondering how many other people this a*****e has conned and whether my name is being dragged through the mud because of his actions.

Ask the 'customer' to report the incident to the police - both of you should then give statements.  Any resulting investigation may bring forward further 'customers' that should enable the police to compile an accurate description of the offender.

But go the CAB route 1st.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Spursboy1972

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 09:06:50 pm »
My Advice

Invite the guy round for tea and biscuits.

But....

Make sure when he leaves he wont be doing it again!!! ;D ;D
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

craig jwc

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 09:12:28 pm »
My Grandad who lives in York paid a window cleaner for a year.

The guy only turned up twice and after a few attempts contacting him decided to go to the Police.

They said he needed a receipt to prove it otherwise they could do nothing.

I'm sure if enough people complained, if they have paid up front they should be able to do something

jeff1

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 09:17:17 pm »
I get paid by one of my customers for six months in advance, and have never missed him.

must admit I don't like it but for the amount of time he's home, it works out best for both of us.

DASERVICES

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 09:49:03 pm »

Whilst I was cleaning windows the other day the house next to me was
  having their garden landscaped. The guy who was doing this received a phone
  call from one of his customer's saying they had just paid one of his boys for
  a job he had done, which was wrong as they were all with him.

After he went to the Police station he told me what had happened, it appears
  some Irish guys turned up in a van with his logo and asked that cash be paid
  for the work that had been done. They must have been watching him and
  waited for him to finish.

I've heard of other horror stories of Irish gangs ripping people off, sorry nothing
  against the Irish.

Doug

sunshine windows

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 09:46:11 pm »
It really does make my blood boil. The fact that someone like myself (and many others i've no doubt) are trying to build up a business and earn a wage legitimately. Then you get some dole dossing W****R come along and rip you and your potential customers off, leaving you to go round and resolve these situations.

Still fuming,
Sunshine.

P.S. I will take the advice on the CAB and see if i can persuade the victim to go to the police himself.

Cheers all
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

mfwindowcleaner

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 09:55:31 pm »
ive got about 10 holiday homes and they pay 12 months upfront ..... never missed them......
my advice would be go round and speak to the guy personally ........ explain the situation and tell him to report it to the police.....
this will show the guy your honest and stop the neg rep it may give you  ;)
" You can take the girl out of Cork "

sunshine windows

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 09:29:17 pm »
I went round to see the guy as soon as i got the phone call from him. Wanted to assure him that i wouldn't do such a thing. He was more than happy that i had no involvement and that he was the victim of a scam.

I think it might be an idea to put something on my future leaflets denoting the fact that i don't accept money upfront or my name and that i'm a sole trader. Just a thought.

Sunshine
(Swindon, Wiltshire)