Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul alan

new numax 120ah not fully charging
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:11:25 am »
bought a new battery at Christmas for the new van fit out with electric reels and the first few charges were fine, the last few its not taking a full charge.

I don't get why~?? 

Same charger i have always used and it goes from red - amber - green(float), but its not going from the red anymore. Had it on charge for 24 hours over the weekend and no change.

It died on me yesterday at the end of the day, had it on charge overnight and it has taken some but not full, I don't know how long it will last today?

What to check??

andyM

Re: new numax 120ah not fully charging
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:24:22 am »
If you have a multi meter or can borrow one you should be able to check the battery voltage when it has been taken off charge.
I suspect your Battery might have a dead cell.

One of the Plebs

paul alan

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 08:29:55 am »
I bought it locally and they open any minute now so will call them and ask them to check it for me.

I re did all the connections when i installed the new battery so that shouldn't be the problem.

paul alan

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 08:38:17 am »
just spoke to the supplier and they want the battery for a whole day to test it and i just cant take a day off.

I explained that to them and they are not willing to supply me with a replacement for the day.

Really hacked off right now!

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 08:46:00 am »
just spoke to the supplier and they want the battery for a whole day to test it and i just cant take a day off.

I explained that to them and they are not willing to supply me with a replacement for the day.

Really hacked off right now!

try another charger?ive got a numax "connect and forget" 20amp charger...
price higher/work harder!

paul alan

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 08:50:49 am »
Don't know about you daz but its pouring snow here in rhyl, I'm taking the day off and the can have the battery for a day.
If they say the battery is fine i will get another charger.

They are saying I shouldn't be using the battery for window cleaning and I need a different one, an industrial dry cell or something like that?

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 09:04:14 am »
Don't know about you daz but its pouring snow here in rhyl, I'm taking the day off and the can have the battery for a day.
If they say the battery is fine i will get another charger.

They are saying I shouldn't be using the battery for window cleaning and I need a different one, an industrial dry cell or something like that?

you should have told them it was for your caravan mate........their trying to fob you off.ive had dodgy batteries before from my local caravan spares shop.sometimes these batteries are on the shelf for months and months but they ve always replaced them...

no snow here yet but its forecast for later.....6 large domestics scheduled for today but im not starting til 10.(its still -1 here).

paul alan

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 09:09:23 am »
Have just sent the txt out to cancel till tomorrow so its a feet up day in the warm.

Would not of done it but battery situation needs sorting so hands been forced.

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 10:59:36 am »
Have just sent the txt out to cancel till tomorrow so its a feet up day in the warm.

Would not of done it but battery situation needs sorting so hands been forced.

Unfortunately, its one of those things. You can't immediately tell if a battery is faulty until they put it on a charger they know is working and then do a load test on the charged battery.

They will need to justify to the battery manufacturer why they deemed the battery faulty and replaced it. If the manufacturer tested the battery and found it wasn't faulty, then what? The supplier doesn't get refunded and the supplier takes the financial hit. Are you happy if a customer you have worked for decides not to pay you for your window cleaning service you have done? I'd be pretty amazed if the manufacturer hadn't provided the supplier with guidelines on how to test and check if the returned battery is faulty or not.

I'm afraid that from bitter experience they have had prior customers who have told them all sorts of stories to get an immediate decision, many of them down right lies.

In all honestly, if you couldn't spare a day off whilst they checked your battery, then it wouldn't take long to take a temporary power supply from your van's battery to power your controllers and pump for a day or two.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

paul alan

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 11:38:09 am »
I had to take the day off and the battery is being tested at the minute.

I wouldn't want to power from the van battery as that is also giving me trouble, i have had to take the fuse out from the internal lights as they are draining the battery. Also had to stop using the hazards too, battery died a few times lately and had to call out rescue to get me going again, the guys check the battery each time and say its receiving charge no problem. Its 12-13 months old.

The leisure battery supplier has stated that they do not supply leisure batteries for window cleaning and certainly want warranty it.

He tells me I need a deep cycle industrial battery for the application, or something like that I cant remember exactly what he said.

Myabe its the charger?? though it has been fine for the last 5 years , 10a charger though has only been used on 85ah at most up to now. I went for 120ah as running 2 pumps and now 2 reels.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 03:42:07 pm »
the battery to battery smart charger i have wired up in my van for my diesel heater,pump and controller always puts the van battery first so no chance of being stuck somewhere unable to start van due to flat battery....this is in addition to bench charging most nights with a numax 20amp battery charger...

i have my van battery plus 2 numax 105ah leisure batteries linked together to power everything....

paul alan

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 03:56:16 pm »
Just picked a 150ah Trojan , beast of a battery!

They give me a years warranty knowing it’s for window cleaning.

I reckon I’m using 50 amps at most each day so should get 2 days without charge.

P @ F

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 04:39:43 pm »

I reckon I’m using 50 amps at most each day so should get 2 days without charge.

Well thats your first mistake right there mate !
To keep a battery in tip top nick you need to not drain it below 50% capacity , 2 days at 50 amp and you have pulled the battery down to 34% charged , i have been there and done that many times .

Also as you have just laid a big wedge out on the battery would it not make sense to get yerself a decent charger ?
You are going to want a 15 amper at least for that beast .

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 06:07:57 pm »
i reckon you need a 20amp charger (and charge it up every night mate not every other night and the battery should last you a few years)you shouldnt really drain a battery further than 50%(i reckon 60% or 70% is even better)

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 06:35:02 pm »

£250?  :-\

Interesting that the others are asking what charger you are going to use.
The specs are;

Bulk Charge = 14.82v
Float = 13.5v
Equalise = 16.2 v

None of our intelligent battery chargers will meet that spec.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

paul alan

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 07:15:41 pm »
https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/trojan/24-agm/

Its a deep cycle one so the guy said i can discharge below 50% with no issues.

I will need another charger that's for sure, the guy said theirs are £135 ish and best to look around and maybe a second hand one might be cheaper.

paul alan

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 07:16:31 pm »

£250?  :-\

Interesting that the others are asking what charger you are going to use.
The specs are;

Bulk Charge = 14.82v
Float = 13.5v
Equalise = 16.2 v

None of our intelligent battery chargers will meet that spec.

What type of charger will i need please spruce??