Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jo5hm4n

Hose Reel Problems
« on: June 27, 2017, 10:49:08 pm »
So i've noticed that My side by side Pure Freedom Hosereels have been getting easier and easier to reel out when taking hose to a house.  No problem...  However since the really hot weather last week, my hose reels are now turning far too easy.  To the point where i can't pull the hose out too quickly or too hard, otherwise the reel will keep turning and then all the hose gets loose on the reel and gets all stuck and becomes a nightmare. 

Has anybody else had any problems like this before?  Had my hose reels for about 9 months and they only started doing this very rarely few months ago but in the last week they have got really bad, getting really loose when unwinding every time and getting caught and wrapped round the outer part of the reel.

Cheers

dave f

Re: Hose Reel Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 06:53:51 am »
how long have you had them for ? may be that the spindle is wearing out. make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight.

DaveG

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:45:47 am »
It won't cure your problem but to slow down your reel, put some 22mm pipe insulation on the top (the section you would lift the reel with) and sides.  This will "rub" on the spinning section of reel and slow it down..
You can't polish a turd

jo5hm4n

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 10:09:27 am »
how long have you had them for ? may be that the spindle is wearing out. make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight.

9 Months, checked that everything is tight.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:42:50 pm »
It won't cure your problem but to slow down your reel, put some 22mm pipe insulation on the top (the section you would lift the reel with) and sides.  This will "rub" on the spinning section of reel and slow it down..

Good suggestion thanks, how do you recommend i put it onto the reel?  (im totally useless at diy)  Also, still wondering why this is happening in the first place, is this normal after using a reel for 9 months?  It's my first set of reels with a van mount system.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 10:00:36 pm »
Thanks for suggestion Dave. My proloc reel was doing exactly same thing. I've drilled two small holes on one side of the reel body and ziptied some pipe lagging on. Has done the trick ! Cheers, nice one ;)

DaveG

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 08:30:18 am »

Good suggestion thanks, how do you recommend i put it onto the reel?  (im totally useless at diy)  Also, still wondering why this is happening in the first place, is this normal after using a reel for 9 months?  It's my first set of reels with a van mount system.

Just use some tape or, as Barry suggested, some cable ties..
You can't polish a turd

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 09:59:53 am »
I'm wondering whether in my case I have intensified the problem by using a 100 meters of Gardiners heavy duty pole hose on my reel - its a smaller diameter and lighter  ???
Anyways, thanks Dave. Its been a cheap and easy fix to a frustrating problem  ;)