Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Claire Giles

Newbie here
« on: January 16, 2017, 10:14:06 am »
Hello and Good Morning everyone,

I run a Cleaning company for around 23 years, i went into more deep cleaning and end of tenancy 10 years ago and i am now finding the need or would like to go further i am now qualified oven cleaner, and i would like to go into carpet cleaning.

I am looking at more portable than trunkmount.  I have done lots of reading ( so much involved and to learn ) feeling excited.

I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction with so many brands out there and performance, which ones would u guys recommend i am mainly doing domestic ie student housing, and spring cleans.

I am hoping to attend the NCCA training course in Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning, Advanced Spot & Stain Treatment and Removal Course, and Health & Safety Course for Carpet and Upholstery Cleaners.

Its just Myself and Partner.

Thanks you so much

Claire

Forum Admin

Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 11:11:51 am »
Welcome Claire, sounds like a great venture!

I'm sure our professional members will be able to help you out with all your questions here, it's great to see that you're looking at doing things the right way which is learning first and going on courses. Knowledge is key in Carpet Cleaning, we wish you luck.

Claire Giles

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:25:29 am »
Oh thank u so much admin. :)

Steven Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 07:51:18 pm »
Hi Claire,

How have things been going with venturing into carpet cleaning?

Claire Giles

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 10:37:02 pm »
Its going ok, so much to learn.
Been doing a  lot of family and friends, gaining confidence as i go. Just started on a few clients this week booked with there cleaning. They just gave me some great feedback and are very happy, so if there happy so am i.
:)

Steven Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 11:28:54 am »
Sounds great Claire, confidence is probably the biggest thing to work on.

Is there anything in the process that has been particularly difficult to overcome?  Are you looking to eventually move into Commercial cleaning, or just stick to residential?

Claire Giles

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 05:33:47 pm »
I think ph in carpets im finding it hard to under what chemicals i need to use to what carpet.

Bascially i dont a ph test was 6
Burn test its a synthetic carpet either acrylic or polypropylene.

Its got a bad odour of pet urine and i have done a UV test on the carpet shows two big spots of urine, and there is food residue in the carpet or something chewy in the carpet.

So i am working out my process i want to do this right, and use the right chemicals, i am still learning so not taking any big leaps yet.

I am happy to only do friends / families / my own just for the practice at the moment, and i have done a few simple freshen carpet jobs.

So much to learn.

John Kelly

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 10:57:18 am »
Hi Claire don't get too hung up on carpet type as long as you can distinquish wool from manmade. For wool you are safe using products accredited by the Woolsafe Organisation. Basically manufacturers pay to have their products tested to make sure they are safe to use on Wool without detrimental damage. Products which have passed these tests will display the Woolsafe logo on the label.
On manmade carpets you can use vitually any products although sometimes need to be slightly cautious on some Nylons. Howver the bulk of manmade carpets are Polyprops.
Sometimes even on wool carpets you need to move away from the "safe"  area and use something with a bit more grunt to get a decent result. Its essential to use a good quality acid rinse to reduce the alkalinity.
When dealing with Urine it is important to understand that it may not just be the carpet pile which is affected but also the underlay and floor below as well.  Its important to deal with areas to obtain a satisfactory result. If at all possible I would try and attend the TACCA day on May 20th which is held at Crewe Alexandra Football Club. Some of the best trainers in the industry will be there including Paul Pearce, Adam Jankowski and Julie Roberts. Julie will be doing Urine Mitigation as part of her training day. Also buying a ticket enters you into a draw for some fantastic prizes including a full Tilemaster setup worth over £1000.

Claire Giles

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 09:31:45 am »
Thank you so much for your reply, i am learning so much and i have started to do a few carpets now :).

Also in process of booking tickets for TACCA day on May 20th , i think this would be excellent to get to met others.