Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

nathankaye

DIY trolley update
« on: September 16, 2017, 05:32:42 pm »
So my beast of a trolley was a power thirsty monster.
I managed to make it a little quieter in the end as well which i was pleased about.
However,
The pump was a 150psi  5.5lpm and drained the battery after using it on perhaps 3 or 4 houses. This isnt a major problem for me as i only use it where parking may become a problem etc. But its frustrating that i need to stick it straight on charge.  I was considering just replacing the battery with an higher amp hour but it feels like i have a huge collection of batteries n dont want to add more to it.
So i have changed the pump to a 3amp 100psi 4lpm one instead;

https://youtu.be/KCFWv6JfZAk

https://youtu.be/N_KMBdQwvgI
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

M & C Window Cleaning

Re: DIY trolley update
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 06:21:29 pm »
I use a 5lpm pump as I like plenty of flow, but the 115psi shutoff pressure of the 5lpm version caused it to consume more power than was necessary, flattened my 7ah battery before the day was up and was too high for Univalve.  So I removed the pressure switch spring and cut off about 2mm.  This reduced the shutdown pressure to about 70psi.  Now I get through a solid day on a 7ah battery.  When the pump goes I'll get another and just swap the spring out.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

slap bash

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 05:35:32 pm »
So my beast of a trolley was a power-thirsty monster.
I managed to make it a little quieter in the end as well which I was pleased about.
However,
The pump was a 150psi  5.5lpm and drained the battery after using it for perhaps 3 or 4 houses. This isn't a major problem for me as I only use it where parking may become a problem etc. But its frustrating that I need to stick it straight on charge.  I was considering just replacing the battery with a higher amp hour but it feels like I have a huge collection of batteries n don't want to add more to it.
So I have changed the pump to a 3amp 100psi 4lpm one instead;

At 150 PSI. What are you doing son Power washing windows? That`s what you have a brush on the end for. To clean the glass. Are you trying to rewrite the w/c book of history?

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:26:03 pm »
So my beast of a trolley was a power-thirsty monster.
I managed to make it a little quieter in the end as well which I was pleased about.
However,
The pump was a 150psi  5.5lpm and drained the battery after using it for perhaps 3 or 4 houses. This isn't a major problem for me as I only use it where parking may become a problem etc. But its frustrating that I need to stick it straight on charge.  I was considering just replacing the battery with a higher amp hour but it feels like I have a huge collection of batteries n don't want to add more to it.
So I have changed the pump to a 3amp 100psi 4lpm one instead;

At 150 PSI. What are you doing son Power washing windows? That`s what you have a brush on the end for. To clean the glass. Are you trying to rewrite the w/c book of history?

Lol it is a slight overkill......but thats why i got the flow controller for
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 10:09:37 pm »
No disrespect Nathan, but I've gone through a phase of diy'ing things myself. The conclusion I've come to is that I am giving a lot of my time ( and some money too ) to things that work fine as they are. The old saying " if it aint broke, don't fix ". Using a rinse bar or more than two jets on a brush has thrown up new problems for you. Firstly your backpack wasn't powerful enough requiring you to build a diy trolley, then you find the pump too much of a drain that you need to change it. I know it takes innovators and R&D to push things forward but imo its overkill and for what ? I don't really think that you've achieved anything better than what was already available and quite affordable to begin with. I've just spent the best part of my Sunday rewiring and plumbing in my diy van mount system back to a bare bones faff free set up , I can't be bothered now to elaborate on it but its something I should have stuck with all along because it works. The more I've tinkered around with things the more problems I've created for myself.
Just my opinion  ;)

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 11:09:56 pm »

Looks like you have the same PWM controller I purchased a while back.  They are great little unit. However, they only control the speed of the pump, not the pressure like the expensive digital controllers do.  The 150psi cutoff pressure is still governed by the spring in the mechanical device attached to the end of the pump.  So even if you run it at just 2 lpm it will still pump the pressure up to 150psi before switching off when you shut off the water supply, it'll just take longer doing it.  That makes the pump work really hard which is probably why it drained your battery so fast.  When I reduced the cutoff pressure in the manner I described earlier, it made the difference between running out of power halfway through the afternoon to getting a full day.  If your 4 lpm pump doesn't deliver the volume of water you like, it might be worth a try.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 07:28:17 am »

Looks like you have the same PWM controller I purchased a while back.  They are great little unit. However, they only control the speed of the pump, not the pressure like the expensive digital controllers do.  The 150psi cutoff pressure is still governed by the spring in the mechanical device attached to the end of the pump.  So even if you run it at just 2 lpm it will still pump the pressure up to 150psi before switching off when you shut off the water supply, it'll just take longer doing it.  That makes the pump work really hard which is probably why it drained your battery so fast.  When I reduced the cutoff pressure in the manner I described earlier, it made the difference between running out of power halfway through the afternoon to getting a full day.  If your 4 lpm pump doesn't deliver the volume of water you like, it might be worth a try.

Cheers, I'll probably give that a try then.
Thanks for the advice
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

MNWC

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 08:08:51 am »
can you trim the spring on the shurflo pumps....ours are 100psi and we have the safe flow  controllers so only control the speed of the pump not  pressure .... consequently when you shut the flow the pump stays on for a good minute until the pressure is reached..

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 10:43:13 am »
No disrespect Nathan, but I've gone through a phase of diy'ing things myself. The conclusion I've come to is that I am giving a lot of my time ( and some money too ) to things that work fine as they are. The old saying " if it aint broke, don't fix ". Using a rinse bar or more than two jets on a brush has thrown up new problems for you. Firstly your backpack wasn't powerful enough requiring you to build a diy trolley, then you find the pump too much of a drain that you need to change it. I know it takes innovators and R&D to push things forward but imo its overkill and for what ? I don't really think that you've achieved anything better than what was already available and quite affordable to begin with. I've just spent the best part of my Sunday rewiring and plumbing in my diy van mount system back to a bare bones faff free set up , I can't be bothered now to elaborate on it but its something I should have stuck with all along because it works. The more I've tinkered around with things the more problems I've created for myself.
Just my opinion  ;)

exactly.post of the week this barry! ;D

we all learn (over time)that keeping it simple is the best way.not just in window cleaning either!in lots of aspects of life. :)
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 01:07:39 pm »
Totally agree!  Keep it simple.
Ive not fundamentally changed anything. Instead of upgrading the pumpnin a gardiners new backpack ive made my own instead. I can keep the gardiner one for my soft washing jobs, so thats a plus.
Where as the new trolley is easy to use and has a powerful pump for my needs.

The 2nd change has been to use a bigger brush and more jets so again no faffing really involved in that improvement and the final one is sticking a motor on my reel.

Easiest one is sticking a solar panel on roof to charge up my battery either on my main leisure battery or to now charge up my trolley.
Easy peasey lemon squeegee  (as we used to say as a kid 😂😂)

Oh nearly forgot an immersion heater for hot water.
But with either one its been an improvement, as of yet no problems occuring and has made my working life easy which makes my life easier outside of work also,,to the point where ive made a  last minute decision to take a wk off work n go away relaxing with family.

But i do agree with keep it easy and don't overly complicate it for the sake of doing so.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 02:55:56 pm »
can you trim the spring on the shurflo pumps....ours are 100psi and we have the safe flow  controllers so only control the speed of the pump not  pressure .... consequently when you shut the flow the pump stays on for a good minute until the pressure is reached..

Does the pump have a screw in the pressure switch section?  If so you may be able to lower the pressure setting by unscrewing it slightly.

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 03:55:28 pm »

Does the pump have a screw in the pressure switch section?  If so you may be able to lower the pressure setting by unscrewing it slightly.
yes they do and that's all you have to do, now that really is keeping it simple  ;)