Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jo5hm4n

Is it worth it?
« on: November 09, 2016, 10:13:00 pm »
So now being fully WFP, and i've never really ever been a window cleaner that used ladder and trad.  I was trad but only did bungalows.

I'm happy with my regular amount of work i have, could do with a bit more though so enjoy doing addons atm f.s.g cleans conny roof cleans etc...  Now, i've been asked 3 times already this week to do gutter cleaning.  All on houses though.  I'm trying to stay away from using ladders especially moving forward in my business.  I could do with that extra cash though, so my question is, do you think it's worth it?

Longterm i'm thinking i could just buy a skyvac and all the gear to do gutter clearing properly and then i can be banging out a few days a month on saturdays doing gutter clearing only.  That would be my preffered method, but money is tight atm, so should i stick to my guns and only do gutter clearing on bungalows, or should i be brave and do a few houses too aslong as they aren't too high up?

Bear in mind that i have never cleared gutters on a house before, only on bungalows.

Honest opinions as always guys ;)

SeanK

Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 10:21:50 pm »
Gutter vacs are alright as long as you can get the 50mm nozzle into the gutter, unfortunately this isn't always the case.
Then you have the possibility of breaking slates/tiles and even knocking off a piece of the gutter which will require ladder
work to repair.
So to be honest if your aim is to avoid ladder work altogether then I would leave well alone.

the king

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 06:58:36 am »
i use a gutter vac 90 percent of jobs are ok but some u need a ladder as its quicker the vac is good tho and u get different size ends for the job , as for upvc cleaning u can allways soft wash them using cems and a power jet https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwir8PGxzp3QAhXkKMAKHZaxDGsQtwIIKTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDqvABSlIBv4&usg=AFQjCNEW64l3HZL056lSy7SamlTbi-lJJA&sig2=a4tqVOR574H7I5gGTp3u9g&bvm=bv.138169073,d.d24

the king

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 07:00:29 am »
using ladders can be safe if u have the rite gear
ankalad
microlite standoff
fall arrest

kikjason

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 07:02:44 am »
It can be easy work.. but if your not confident on ladders...I'd leave well alone

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 08:27:31 am »
leaflet and canvass if you need more work and maybe get a website done perhaps?

i refuse all gutter clearing.i used to do them off ladders years ago and always hated it.now ive got more than enough window cleaning work to be doing day to day plus f/s/g add ons,conny roofs and the odd solar panel cleaning job.
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 10:27:54 pm »
I do them and only with a vac never ladders because I am scared.

Ian101

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 12:09:14 am »
I have a gutter vac .... send them my way :D

Tom-01

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 09:38:28 am »
If you have the right system, confidence with your pricing you can do very well.

We're doing 190 meters of guttering today, 3 blocks of flats, 3 storey. There's two of us with just the one vac though so a bit slower but still be done earlier than normal, for +35% on normal day on Windows. Plus it's a bit different, keeps things a bit more interesting.

Actually need to buy a second vac, I like the industrial one SkyVac have: http://www.guttercleaningmachines.com/skyvac-78-internal-gutter-vacuum.asp?gclid=CP3-5uOzoNACFZEW0wod-58Cxw (We have the earlier model). Does anyone know where else it can be bought? 

Nick Day

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 10:57:52 am »
As far as I know you can only buy them from Skyvac, they're made by Soteco in Italy (they make the 3500 watt machine we do).

Tom-01

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 11:44:08 am »
As far as I know you can only buy them from Skyvac, they're made by Soteco in Italy (they make the 3500 watt machine we do).

Thanks Nick. Do you sell machines/tools? What is your website please?

Thanks
Tom

Nick Day

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 12:35:19 pm »
Hi Tom,

Yes we do, we are called Gutter Cleaning Systems just google that (sorry but the mods don't like if I put my website up directly). Mod edit - Please do not promote yourselves to members - contact advertising@cleanitup.co.uk for further information and opportunities

Nick Day

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 03:37:17 pm »
See what I mean Tom!! Mods I was stating a fact, I know of several people who thought they had bought 100% carbon fibre from Skyvac and had spent a lot of money and weren't very pleased to find out it wasn't 100% carbon fibre.

duncan h

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 04:16:03 pm »
See what I mean Tom!! Mods I was stating a fact, I know of several people who thought they had bought 100% carbon fibre from Skyvac and had spent a lot of money and weren't very pleased to find out it wasn't 100% carbon fibre.
This is why you should be able to Pm people

duncan h

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 04:17:49 pm »
This time of year, I get a few calls. Trees growing out of them. Not enough to justify paying nearly £2000 for one though.
It takes a lot of gutters before you start making a profit

Nick Day

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 04:41:30 pm »
Totally agree that would be a great feature to have!! 2 grand is a lot of money when there's kits out there do the same job for less than half that!

Ian101

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 06:19:08 pm »

Thanks Nick. Do you sell machines/tools? What is your website please?

Thanks
Tom

http://www.guttercleaningsystems.co.uk/3000carbonfibrekits.html

I got this from Nicks company last week and done 3 jobs with it already.

Very happy with it

SeanK

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 07:16:25 pm »
This is why you should be able to Pm people

Or better still advertise with the rest of the sellers who don't seem to have problems when talking about their products,
bad enough being a freeloader but crying about it when challenged, come on.

Nick Day

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 07:27:45 pm »
SeanK I was stating a fact, would you be happy if you bought a pole thinking it was 100% carbon fibre then finding out it wasn't?

slap bash

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 07:42:58 pm »
Ignore Sean K his not to happy with life. ;D ;D ;D ;D