Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

C.C.S.

Recovering debt
« on: March 01, 2016, 11:21:55 am »
Hi guys. I have 3 customers ,1 commercial and 2 domestic that have no intentions to pay for what they owe.It's a total of about £200.I wouldn't really want to write it off .I tried to reason with them but my feeling is they don't give a poop.I just wrote them a letter with payment to be made in the next 7 days or will be looking at legal ways to recover the debt.
What do you think it's the best option to recover my money if they fail to pay?
Thank you

chris turner

Re: Recovering debt
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 11:40:25 am »
Throw 200 eggs at there windows.

Micky Barber

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 12:30:08 pm »
The egg solution is the preferred choice it's a very grey area to get into going the legal route, for a start they can dispute the charge and even claim you didn't do the job or did a poor job, with any claim evidence is crucial or it just becomes your word against theirs.
I had one 3 storey job before xmas for £30 first clean guy said he would be in, there was no answer at the door when we arrived so stupidly we did it anyway, I texted him time and time again before he responded when he did respond I received a text saying "jog on". I have quote books now where the customer signs for the quote it's just more evidence although it's just a gesture really to engage the customers loyalty by making it appear more official and professional but instead of knocking a day off work to go to court or send out letters for a debt I'd probably spend more money on and time wasted pursuing it not forgetting the stress I'd sooner protect myself better in future. 

SeanK

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 12:50:58 pm »
If it was £200 for one bill then I would suggest taking the customer to the small claims court but as its 3 different customers
then no matter what you do its going to be a hassle and more than likely not worth it financially, I know its not easy to let scum
like this get away with it but sometimes its just better to walk away.
You could try sending a Thomas Higgins letter or similar just to see it will frighten them into paying up but in my experience
these type of people are always one step ahead and know exactly where you and they stand.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 01:16:45 pm »
When it is obvious it is too much hassle to keep on trying to collect don't wait a few weeks, go to their door pretending to drop off a reminder and stick a toothpick in their front door lock and break it off.

No. Don't do that. That would be bad.
It's a game of three halves!

Micky Barber

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 04:49:41 pm »
The retail industry take a hit by losing out to shoplifters these non payers are money thieves and are just as dishonest as shoplifters, it won't be just the window cleaner who they'v e ripped off before you'll never get the money and letters will only strengthen their resolve as my deceitful customer said to me "jog on".

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 09:27:59 pm »
The retail industry take a hit by losing out to shoplifters these non payers are money thieves and are just as dishonest as shoplifters, it won't be just the window cleaner who they'v e ripped off before you'll never get the money and letters will only strengthen their resolve as my deceitful customer said to me "jog on".

it was an xmas clean!you shouldnt of  asked for payment!twas the season of goodwill after all.
price higher/work harder!

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 09:54:58 pm »
Sometimes the front door lock needs a little superglue to free it up I've been told.

windowswashed

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 11:04:18 pm »
Sometimes the front door lock needs a little superglue to free it up I've been told.

haha that's an old 'un  ;D