Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davetherave

Cracked quick release from frost? New
« on: January 18, 2016, 09:15:01 pm »
I had a brand new  female brass quick release connector on a solution hose that was leaking, so i got  a couple of spanners to tighten it up. We were careful not to overtighten.

When i went to test the machine water was spraying everywhere. I realised the brass quick connect had split.

I phoned cleansmart who reckons it could have been the frost. Would frost split a quick release connector like that.?

I have similar quick release connectors on my pressure washing hose, and that has been left in my garage during hard frosts and I've have never had a problem.

I personally believe it was simply a faulty connector.

Just wondering if anyone else has had quick release connectors fail because of frost damage?

ShaunL

Re: cracked quick release from frost?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 11:41:05 pm »
Sure it wasnt too tight? Ive split quite  few of these new from tightening them. Never had it because of frost though

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 06:48:28 am »
Bit of a coincidence that it went just after you had tightened it up, more than likely that, rather than the frost causing  it
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:36:42 am »
Frost will readily split any Brass fittings depends how they are lying and if water is present in that area. Its the expanding water which splits them. Valves are the most susceptible. Our sales shoot up in times of cold weather. Over tightening can do it as well. If ever a fitting is leaking don't just tighten it. Undo it and add some fresh thread tape then screw back up.

davetherave

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 02:56:57 pm »
ok thanks guys.

We will do that next time John cheers

So how tight is tight enough for the connector? Its kind of hard to know exactly how not to overtighten. I didn't realise the brass fittings were so delicate.

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 03:39:41 pm »
just tighten it so you have to use some force but not so you are breaking your hand to get it further!

if you buy gas PTFE instead of normal pluming PTFE tape its a bit thicker and a bit easier to use. It comes in a yellow container instead of white.

wrap it around the thread in the direction you are tightening the connector on - put it round one and a half times. Then just press it down into the threads gently with ya thumb and finger to sit it tight and then put your connector on.

davetherave

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 08:54:35 pm »
ok will do thanks :)