Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Plankton

South Lanarkshire license
« on: January 23, 2016, 03:02:47 am »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OIOsf08BpXQ

What! Proper training to rinse an applicator.  ::)roll
Was he held at gun point to carry this out?

Perfect Windows

Re: South Lanarkshire license
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 10:15:37 am »
They only flashed this onto the screen for a second, so here's a reminder of the real reason they have licensing in Scotland:

Vin

Jonny 87

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 11:16:59 am »
Yip I have a south Lanarkshire license. It's a load of rubbish really.

There are so many un-licensed cleaners around me it's unreal. It isn't enforced.

If the police actually enforced it, it would be a good thing as it would get rid of the guys claiming benefits and doing a days window cleaning a week for £3 per house, but it just seems very hit or miss.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

andyM

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 11:49:22 am »
Is it just window cleaners in Scotland that require Licenses?
Or is it the same for other trades: Gardeners, Builders, Window Fitters etc.?
One of the Plebs

matthewprice

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 06:20:53 pm »
Not all but window cleaners taxi drivers antique shops to name a few we are £230  for 3 years .does seem a bit unfair as most trades don't need .but I find it does stop the flybynight crew .

Plankton

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 07:05:23 pm »
The problem is if they try to catch them working without a license by setting them up they will be sitting around for hours wandering if and when they will show up. They can even watch the window cleaners house and hope they drive to the bait but some will smell a rat and change their plans. 8)

JSMC

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 09:38:20 pm »
It is a tax n nothing else. For everyone down southwanting this then yer off yer head. It does not weed out anyone lol. I know a few guys with no licences operating fair sized operations. Also if you think ye can charge more because yer legit then think again.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 09:48:08 pm »
It's a good idea in general. From a customers perspective  knowing your window cleaner has been vetted by the police can't be a bad thing, when I am quoting jobs I always mention this. The downside is that it is very rarely enforced, most window cleaners in my area don't have one, yet nothing is done about it.

JSMC

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 10:14:50 pm »
Two guys i know have served time in jail. Very hard for council to knock back licence. I know a lawyer who has got many folks them.

It is a con the licence

Plankton

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 11:37:11 pm »
Two guys i know have served time in jail. Very hard for council to knock back licence. I know a lawyer who has got many folks them.

It is a con the licence
I've known a lot a people who have served time, some were good people and some were down right scum bags. There was one chap who robbed his nearest building society and got caught when a neighbour called the cops to report a burglar climbing in a house window. He had locked himself out! Cops turn up at his door and find him counting 12k in the living room :D
If you have committed crimes such as house breaking or car theft you shouldn't be allowed a window cleaning license, but it doesn't stop you working in and around homes with other jobs like painting, building or labouring, electric meter reading, supermarket shopping delivery, carpet cleaning.
The list is endless so it's purely discrimination.

JSMC

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 07:15:25 am »
Aye they say it is needed because you work with the public. So why not every one else?

kempy

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 08:26:51 am »
Seems another crazy Tax . In this country of trying to dominate everything we do and control us .

I suggest a TAX OF £10,000 of MP's having a licence to serve their community ?????

Crazy licence this
Self employment is a declaration of you working

Crazy

Plankton

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »
I'm just heading down to hand in a licence form for East Dunbartonshire and pay them £143.00 for the privilege>:(
Non refundable if its not granted!

kempy

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 06:24:40 pm »
Amazing , feel sorry for you , but I guess £143.00 , means £143 expenses so 20% tax so £28 of ??

If that's right , so it costs you say £115 in true terms ?

Plankton

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 07:23:33 pm »
It's a 3 year period but I have yet to build a run in the Bearsden and Milngavie area which is the only parts of East Dunbartonshire that currently require a licence. There are 13 licenced window cleaners 2 of which work for Mite an outsourcing company that cleans the banks, that leaves 11 licenced windys in an area that's saturated with them.

My aunt was moaning about the price of her windows £7.50 (unlicensed windy) and said the last guys who sold the run only charged £5.00 for a three bed semi with large windows. I won't forget the face she made when I quoted her £45 for her gutters which are around 22 metres. When we used to visit her Italian restaurant we paid the full price and left a tip, never would I expect something for nothing.

Received a text message this morning , "was looking to gutters cleaned - Rannoch Drive. Could you do it for £20? Had a few quotes recently but lost numbers - so just got you on a Google search."

I replied with a quote of £36.00 for John Lawrence semi.

Their reply, "will just leave it as I have a few £20 quotes."

I'm never surprised at how miserable and tight people are in my local area. But their surprised when the Audi's and BMW's are stolen.  ???

I suppose my point is why pay for a licence when the vast majority of homeowners will choose the cheapest untrustworthy of people and not give a poop if they are licenced or claiming disability etc.

Plankton

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 12:51:51 pm »
The south Lanark video could have benefited from a better pitch/interview from the windy. If this was in your area what would you have wanted to be put across by the windy other than rinsing an applicator?