Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Michel Roberts

Re: Which machine?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 12:12:04 am »
Andrew

I am a carpet fitter in London

I began fitting In 73 and cleaning in 78

80 per cent fitting 20 per cent cleaning in the average week

Cleaning is not as good an earner as fitting  for me but cleaning is good for filling the gaps

Call me me If you want on 020 8743 3977

Jason ,the NICF are running a carpet fitter starter course 2days  21-22 june in Loughbourgh and 18-19 september in nelson lancashire

Regards Michel Roberts

PS Andrew I would'nt personally use the banging down technique referrerd to in your post before this but would prefer to use the Roberts compressed edge starting technique. So named not after you or me but John Roberts of the USA who in the mid 1930's invented smoothedge carper gripper and founded Roberts smoothedge inc the worlds largest manufacture of gripper. My typing is slow for me to explain it here but it is all on the web site last time I looked.

andy roberts

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 11:31:13 am »
Michel

Thanks for advice. Would like to know more about Roberts edge starting technique. Have tried to look on your web site but wont let me on for some reason. I dont use the 'tapping down' technique everytime cos its more time consuming and when im working with other fitters i use standard fitting technique otherwise we end up with one room with two finishes.

Interesting to read that your earning more from fitting than cleaning, I thought that might be the case. But as I am nearly hitting 40 I thought id get into cleaning before my fitting sell by date! My dad used to have a large cleaning company in the 70's which incorporated carpet/upholstery cleaning and I suppose its in the blood to give it ago. Ive read previous posts and im taking advice from them ie training course/s, good machinery/chemicals, professional set up etc etc

Perhaps ill give you a call to have a chat,

Andy. 

Michel Roberts

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 05:00:18 pm »
Andrew

Call me all means if you want. I can explain more in 30 secs than I can type in 30 mins

If you go to my web site from the profile section here, it does nt seem to work for some reason but if you go to it directly it works fine. www.carpetfitter.uk.com

However, the info I was talking about was not on my web site but somewhere on the roberts web site, if you can t find it  let me know and I will track it down.

Regards Michel 

Len Gribble

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 03:21:20 am »
Phil

Have you ever been to donkey land (a motor bike has trouble parking, not to mention there lanes, was on two months secondment a few years ago) I note Ian has been there! So I will eat humble pie as I forgot about the porty TM, which is not mains connected! ;D

spickandspan

Please quantify or are you agreeing with me on location.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

andy roberts

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 07:57:22 am »
Len

Just to put you right on one point. People living in Jersey like me are called 'JerseyBeans' or 'Crapos' by Guernsey people and we call Guernsey people 'donkeys'. This name calling dates back a couple of centuries when the Islands used to vigourously compete exporting potatos and tomatos to the mainland. These days you very rarely hear Jersey people mention the word 'donkey', the only time being once a year when they hold the inter-island football match.

As a 'Jersey Bean' i'm hoping to 'clean up' soon with my new business. Are there any other 'beans' out there willing to give me some advice?

Andy.

andy roberts

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 12:38:26 pm »
One last question on machines guys then I'll drop the subject.

Is there any need for me to buy a dry solvent cleaning machine ie spirit 2 to clean curtains, fine fabrics & rugs etc etc? Or would I manage with a HWE machine.

Andy

John Kelly

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 12:49:14 pm »
Save your money

Ian Rochester

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 10:51:43 pm »
I agree, save your money, buy your HWE machine then wait to see how many times you are asked for or need a solvent cleaner.  If it is anything like me it will be very rarely, perhaps once a year.