Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

darioariccio

Employing from abroad
« on: November 09, 2004, 07:17:34 pm »
We are a small cleaning company in Surrey trying to recruit a full time area cleaner  for months. The people we did see were really 'end of the liners'. Then I received an e-mail from an agency from Poland who have experienced cleaning staff available that can drive and speak reasonable english for Basic wage money.
Now i'm not a skinflint but by the time i've factored in wages. Employers N.I,  purchase/ lease of van and insurance i'm not getting much change from 17k.

In poland it's refreshing as people really want to work and I have many ladies working for us from the former Soviet who work very hard.

Before I give the Polish company the go ahead I wanted to ask anyone what they would do in my position and give me a few pointers to think about. Not just the moral side of taking someone on for minimum wage and take a good flogging when they mess up (joke) but also financial.

Many thanks

Also looking for advice on a small scrubber dryer Rotowash or Numatic twintec 1535 to use on changing room floors as we clean many clubs in South. What chemical is best. These floors are filthy!

Dario

julieg

Re: Employing from abroad
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 01:57:12 pm »
Hi, I also run a small cleaning company in Surrey. I would ride on the side of caution. I think recruiting is the hardest part and sometimes  it is really tempting to employ the wrong people because you are desperate.

I have in the past employed a polish lady. She was fantastic, but she was my neighbour's niece, so I knew she would be ok. However, when I have placed adverts in the paper I do get a lot of calls from Polish people, and I always record and make notes of everyone I speak to. On my last ad I got calls from the same person, giving different two names and contact numbers, another person who I actually went to meet and it turned out that she lied about her address. I spoke to my polish lady and she said that I should be very careful, as there are quite a few scams going around. It is a shame, it has put me off. I was also about to take on a very nice lady (British) and although she had glowing references, I still checked them out, and what I got over the phone was very negative. Lucky escape.  I simply don't think its worth the risk, unless someone checks out completely.   

You have probably tried several of these methods but schools are a good target, mums wanting to work around school hours, also your existing cleaners are often a good source, doing leaflet drops in local authority blocks in the areas that are close to where your clients are.  Good luck.     

JulieG

Len Gribble

Re: Employing from abroad
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 09:22:32 pm »
JulieG

Why would a pole need to scam they are apart of the EU the same Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, but those from Canary Islands are not EU members.

Dario

Just make sure you dot the I’s and cross the T’s when employing non nationals, but saying that the same applies to those who born here.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)