Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

PoleKing

Re: Gas heaters (again)
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2014, 08:24:11 pm »
Tell your insurance what your using and then see if your allowed to use it from your van,I did years back and unless things have changed its a modification that's not properly installed and on top of that its gas. Like all things there all perfectly fine till you put a claim in. I'm not trying to knock people using them everyone makes there choices but I spoke to an insurance agent who I'm with now and they said you wouldn't be covered.

Ageas don't want to know if you have one or not. It doesn't make any difference to your premium with them - hot or cold.

I'm with Ageas also.
It didn't affect my premium when I went hot but if I'd've not told them and had an accident it would've affected cover they told me.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Don Kee

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2014, 08:29:00 pm »
I take it the general consensus is to just mount near the back door and leave the rear doors open or would a flue be better for a 'proper' job..?

I've never really been interested in hot but I've just been given an lpg boiler that was surplus so been watching these threads with interest...

Usually i'm all for diy'ing and giving it a go, but seem as this involves gas i'm a bit apprehensive...

Scrimble

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2014, 08:43:31 pm »
the early ionics thermopure were gas powered

SeanK

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2014, 08:47:24 pm »
I'm in the same boat I don't and don't want to work in temps below minus one so hot doesn't really appeal to
me for this reason.
But the one advertised is as cheap as chips so might give it a try just to see if it makes things any easier.
For me to consider using a gas heater then it has to cover both the extra cost plus the added risk of working with gas.
I still haven't been able to work out what monetary figure this would need to be.
Would be nice to have a discussion on how mush extra work the hot users get done since converting to hot, not
in money as this would start another willy waving exercise  but in a percentage.

NWH

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2014, 08:52:43 pm »
Like I said some won't ask but you should declare it as its gas,they will take you money and as you say don't want to know but they will when you have a pile up

Spruce

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2014, 08:53:20 pm »
I take it the general consensus is to just mount near the back door and leave the rear doors open or would a flue be better for a 'proper' job..?

I've never really been interested in hot but I've just been given an lpg boiler that was surplus so been watching these threads with interest...

Usually i'm all for diy'ing and giving it a go, but seem as this involves gas i'm a bit apprehensive...

My opinion is that it has to be a flue through the roof. Don't like to leave van doors open when working.

I think we should follow the example of the mobile catering vans. They have to have outside flues.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2014, 08:58:54 pm »
I thought I heard Calor gas actually do one of these systems now and cover it by warranty etc

Don Kee

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2014, 09:07:42 pm »

My opinion is that it has to be a flue through the roof. Don't like to leave van doors open when working.

I think we should follow the example of the mobile catering vans. They have to have outside flues.

This would be my preferred option, purely for piece of mind if i'm honest
Just tentative about cutting holes in the roof of the van...

It wont get fitted this side of xmas, i'm not that desperate.
But when i do it, i want to do it properly, rather than a 'bodge' so i think i'd have better piece of mind having a flue unless i can be convinced otherwise...

Spruce

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2014, 09:08:47 pm »
I'm in the same boat I don't and don't want to work in temps below minus one so hot doesn't really appeal to
me for this reason.
But the one advertised is as cheap as chips so might give it a try just to see if it makes things any easier.
For me to consider using a gas heater then it has to cover both the extra cost plus the added risk of working with gas.
I still haven't been able to work out what monetary figure this would need to be.
Would be nice to have a discussion on how mush extra work the hot users get done since converting to hot, not
in money as this would start another willy waving exercise  but in a percentage.

It like anything else wfp related. How can you put a value on working with a carbon fiber pole over a fiber glass pole. You can't prove that you are going to be able to do ex number of houses a day with a lighter stiffer pole.

When we first bought carbon poles the maths showed that the new poles would pay for themselves very quickly if their purchase allowed us to clean a couple of extra houses a day.

For me, the main reason for wanting to go 'hot' is just to make working in the cold a little easier. The hoses are more flexible and the warm water does warm the pole as well.
So for me I don't want someone to prove that it cleans better. I don't want to listen to the sales pitch - you don't wash your dishes in cold water do you? So why do you wash.......................?

For me it just making my working environment in the winter a little more pleasant.

I fitted an air diesel heater into my van many years ago. It warms the cabin. If its especially cold out, I can fire it up and retreat to a warm van for a few minutes to 'thaw' out.
I can't ever justify the expense, but on cold days it keeps me going a little longer.

Scrimble

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2014, 09:18:21 pm »
when its really cold the water at the brush head is usually luke warm or cold anyway, its just mainly about keeping going in freezing conditions when you would be unable to with a cold water system,

some might say they dont want want to be out working when its that cold anyway? but what about for an employer who has a fleet of vans? stopping work because its too cold isnt an option

Spruce

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2014, 09:19:07 pm »

This would be my preferred option, purely for piece of mind if i'm honest
Just tentative about cutting holes in the roof of the van...

It wont get fitted this side of xmas, i'm not that desperate.
But when i do it, i want to do it properly, rather than a 'bodge' so i think i'd have better piece of mind having a flue unless i can be convinced otherwise...

If you wanted to sell the van on the hole in the roof could always be replaced with one of those rotating vents. First though would be to try to sell the van as a working unit.

I've been messing on with a diesel heater on a test bench for a few years now but haven't got as far as boxing one up and installing it in my van.

Spruce

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2014, 09:19:50 pm »
when its really cold the water at the brush head is usually luke warm or cold anyway, its just mainly about keeping going in freezing conditions when you would be unable to with a cold water system,

some might say they dont want want to be out working when its that cold anyway? but what about for an employer who has a fleet of vans? stopping work because its too cold isnt an option

Good argument

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2014, 09:49:22 pm »
Is there a general consensus amongst the hot water users as to which roof flue is best?

And, while we're at it, where can I buy the threaded brass fitting that connects the gas hose to the water heater?

Thanks chaps!

Nick
Do quantum mechanics fix old transits?

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2014, 09:53:11 pm »
I don't know what is going on with that spelling!

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

dazmond

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2014, 10:24:03 pm »
nick when i bought my L5 from corwoods last year it came with the  gas regulator and fittings for gas inlet.

i also bought some 13mm car radiator hose for hot outlet to reel and heavy duty QR metal hoselock from gardiners.

id recommend 1/3 bsp brass screw thread male hoselock for hot and cold inlet/outlets on the heater as the plastic ones are no good for hot water.

a decent heavy duty metal reel,thermobore hose,all brass connectors(i use rectus 26 fittings)are also essential and decent pole hose and you ll have a good solid cheap hot water system.double jublilee clip hoses as well.

oh and get some decent duracell "D" CELL batteries for the auto ignition! ;)

best wishes
price higher/work harder!

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2014, 10:34:41 pm »
Just the info I was looking for, daz!

Ta!

Nick

SeanK

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2014, 11:35:10 pm »
me for this reason.

It like anything else wfp related. How can you put a value on working with a carbon fiber pole over a fiber glass pole. You can't prove that you are going to be able to do ex number of houses a day with a lighter stiffer pole.

When we first bought carbon poles the maths showed that the new poles would pay for themselves very quickly if their purchase allowed us to clean a couple of extra houses a day.

For me, the main reason for wanting to go 'hot' is just to make working in the cold a little easier. The hoses are more flexible and the warm water does warm the pole as well.
So for me I don't want someone to prove that it cleans better. I don't want to listen to the sales pitch - you don't wash your dishes in cold water do you? So why do you wash.......................?

For me it just making my working environment in the winter a little more pleasant.

I fitted an air diesel heater into my van many years ago. It warms the cabin. If its especially cold out, I can fire it up and retreat to a warm van for a few minutes to 'thaw' out.
I can't ever justify the expense, but on cold days it keeps me going a little longer.

Cheers Spruce a nice honest answer and something to think about, a little bit of extra comfort is never a bad thing in any
job and worth paying for.