Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

andy east sussex

pureifing water ?
« on: April 04, 2006, 04:35:37 pm »
ive just built a trolly system and i live in a hard water area what do i need to start makeing pure water rather than buy it off a window cleaner for £5 a day what i dont want to pay so any advise needed cheers guys.

Tim Morton

Re: pureifing water ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 04:45:12 pm »
Hi Andy, what you need is a Reverse Osmosis unit. There are many different units out there, the differences between them is usually in their daily capacity measured in Gallons Per Day. (and that's american gallons )
I have a Ro-Man pumped 200 GPD (gallons per day) unit and I produce 420 Liters in about 14 Hrs into 2 210L water butts. My tapwater TDS is 144-148 and my Ro output is 1-1.5 TDS
My brother has a 4040 Ro unit, it produces a lot more than mine, but i never use more than 375 L per day.
One thing to watch for is, Ro units produce waste water as well as pure water, some produce up to 5 times as much waste as pure, and if you're on a water meter that would be a concern. The better Ro units produce as much waste as pure water.
Try these for Ro units, http://www.gapswater.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html and http://www.ro-man.com/

Hope this helps.
Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

sair

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:46:26 pm »
you can come round and see me andy and look at r/o or you can get two di vessels and make it yourself or you can by from me 10-15 1000 liters we are just round corner at mayfield 07944 227635  01435873555

our 40x40 units only waste about 20-25 % water doen the drain
Essentially Pure Ltd

carl clearview

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 04:47:08 pm »
Hi Andy,
purifing water is a straight forward process but you have to spend some cash. if you go for a di resin based system the inital expense is low, however, running costs will be alot higher. if you go down the R/O route your running costs will be less but the inital investment will be larger. the same applies with R/O systems. the more cash you spend, the better the quality of the kit and the longer it will last, further reducing running costs. how much work do you do?

andy east sussex

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:10:18 pm »
how good is the reverse osmos do you still need a tank or can u put a hose on it and fill the tank that way or would that way take to long?
i might take you up on the sair.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 05:46:25 pm »
how good is the reverse osmos do you still need a tank or can u put a hose on it and fill the tank that way or would that way take to long?
i might take you up on the sair.

Reverse osmosis can purify the water really well but the level of purity can depend on your set-up. However, for practical purposes, it doesn't purify fast enough for you to use it as you purify so you would need some kind of storage tank with a pump (either in your vehicle or a static one).  You would probably need to run the RO'd water through resin.  This would purify fast enough as you use it.
I have a static tank with RO unit.  I leave it purifying around the clock and pump it into my van tank.  It fills the van tank within a few minutes as I use a powerful submersible pump with one and a half inch transfer pipe.  I also have an RO unit in the van as well.  That is only for when I may need to make water on site if I've got a big job a long way from base.  I've never used it yet but it's useful to have as a back-up in case the static RO goes wrong.

carl stanton

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 07:31:31 pm »
try this site it is what all above have said but its helpful to see the pics, dont forget to donate.  ;D
http://www.d.co.uk/

simbo

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 08:07:59 pm »
what would you do if your water was 450-500 tds as mine is, ro produces too much waste for my liking, i have had my 75 gallon ro for a couple of weeks now not going all the time and tds is starting to rise already and i reckon its only produced around 800 ltrs
any thoughts welcome simbo

Tim Morton

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 10:02:14 pm »
I'd get a 300GPD ro-man unit, they have a 1-1 waste ratio and if you get the pumped version, it'll reduce your tds by 98-99%. I have the 200 GPD pumped and my tds in is 148, my out is 1-1.5tds. I'm gonna add  another membrane to make it a 300 GPD unit as the waste is less and the filter life gives you more pure before you need to change them.
Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland