Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

tips for worn extreme sections
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:54:06 pm »
After 10 months of constant daily use my extreme 25 clamping sections on 1 and 2 have virtually worn away so ive wrapped a wide piece of black cloth tape(£2 from asda)on the clamping sections and it clamps like New now!!

I want this pole to last me 2 years then ill just buy another one.

Love em but they do wear quickly even with extra care.
price higher/work harder!

Jonny 87

Re: tips for worn extreme sections
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 09:59:19 pm »
Wow.

I honestly would be tempted if I could get say 3 years out if it. But mayb that is wishful thinking?

I have an slx 25 as my day to day pole and it's 2 and a half years old but still clamps like new. It's on the old style clamps aswell not even the smart ones.

Does your extreme have the smart clamps daz or old lever style?
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

John pearce

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:10:04 pm »
yes daz, they do wear down quick, i had some tape in tool box that scaffolders

use as warning people of hazards,

its a shiny plastic texture, and it doesn't stick when closing sections, i even use it

on the midway section.   :)      john.

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:22:38 pm »
Yes Jonny they are the new smart clamps.it's the usual suspects!sections 1 and 2 always wear quicker than the rest of the sections.the other sections are fine.

Mick Kent

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:26:15 pm »
My slx 25 is near 3 years old on the same old clamps being hammered each day with still loads of life left in it. I never wipe or clean the sections out either.

ben M

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 10:57:03 pm »
After 10 months of constant daily use my extreme 25 clamping sections on 1 and 2 have virtually worn away so ive wrapped a wide piece of black cloth tape(£2 from asda)on the clamping sections and it clamps like New now!!

I want this pole to last me 2 years then ill just buy another one.

Love em but they do wear quickly even with extra care.
after 10 months with new clamps??????? i won't buy an xtreme then, will keep my slx25, still going strong after 2.5 years!

Jonny 87

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 11:03:34 pm »
I wonder what would happen if you lacquered the pole say once a month from new? It's worth doing if it made it last a lot longer.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

bobplum

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 07:28:07 am »
I wonder what would happen if you lacquered the pole say once a month from new? It's worth doing if it made it last a lot longer.

Seems like a lot of maintenance for a new pole to get some good life out of it

imo there is a theme with all the extreme equipment, including brushes...........they dont last as long as standard equipment

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 08:29:12 am »
jonny ive lacquered it a few times mate.stops the black hands but doesnt make much of a difference to wear to be honest.

my extreme 47 will last years and years as its not a day to day pole.

the compromise between weight,rigidity and strength is a fine line and extremes used every day, day in/day out takes its toll.

Avo

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 08:33:15 am »
What's the reason why they wear down faster than standard slx I don't get how it can do this???

I too have than old slx22 about 2 or 3 years old still going strong

ben M

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 02:01:09 pm »
Daz,even with the new clamps you can't use the 2 sections properly? weird!

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 03:05:42 pm »
My second extreme 18 was treated to lacquer around 6 or 7 times in 15 months.

Section one and two had a really nice lip left and once re painted would not spin for a few months.

I have just bought another extreme 18 and have come up with a new idea. So far it looks like it work. So fingers crossed.

ben M

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 04:16:52 pm »

Section one and two had a really nice lip left and once re painted would not spin for a few months.

I have just bought another extreme 18 and have come up with a new idea. So far it looks like it work. So fingers crossed.

tell us your idea then  ;) ;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 04:45:32 pm »

tell us your idea then  ;) ;D

Once i have some evidence it will work i will ;)

TomCrowther

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 09:19:29 pm »
I think all extremes are like Trigger' s broom. Will last for years but every part will be replaced. I understand, via a direct mail from Alex G, that regular maintenance (every fortnight) is required to ensure longevity.
Got to strip it down, flush, wipe, replace all stop tapes every two weeks. I believe they are the best poles for owners/careful employees, otherwise slx all the way..

SB Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 09:26:04 pm »
What's the reason why they wear down faster than standard slx I don't get how it can do this???

Its because you can only clamp the extremes in three places and each bit is only a couple of inches long so they take some hammer especially sections 1 and 2 as they're used the most.

Avo

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 07:27:02 am »

Its because you can only clamp the extremes in three places and each bit is only a couple of inches long so they take some hammer especially sections 1 and 2 as they're used the most.
[/do they really REALLY make that much difference to our working day.. Is it not worth keeping a bit of extra weight in the slx so you don't have to apply pressure on the glass n frames.. Having heard some of the posts I'm not sure id go the the extra mile and getting one.

Avo

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 07:28:17 am »
do they really REALLY make that much difference to our working day.. Is it not worth keeping a bit of extra weight in the slx so you don't have to apply pressure on the glass n frames.. Having heard some of the posts I'm not sure id go the the extra mile and getting one.

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 08:03:34 am »
just depends avo.

how many hours do you spend poling a day?

how old are you?(im 42)

have you had or have any shoulder injuries?

how often do you clean high or awkward windows?

for me i spend up to 7 hours constant poling some days,have a lot of awkward windows to clean,some first floor windows on both domestic and commercial i have to use my 25 footer at full extension.

multiply that by 4-5 days a week then extreme poles certainly cut down strain to a minimum.also f/s/g cleans,conny roofs and solar panels!!ALL are easier with extreme poles.

i have no shoulder injuries and i dont want any either.

no brainer for me

Dave Willis

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 07:29:44 am »
I've used Extremes since the day they came out - brilliant poles.
However, I may go back to the SLX for my everyday pole because it's such good value for what it is.