Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

How does "George" Work?
« on: March 31, 2014, 12:56:28 pm »
I am slowly coming into the 21st Century and starting a new financial year tomorrow - Mrs. Gold is leaving her job to organise, canvass and help out in the business at the end of this month (April) and if she can set up my round on "George" and manage it, it would be helpful.

Or is there a better system - I am not VAT registered, turning over in the 50 - 60k range and no plans to go beyond the VAT limit or limited in the next couple of years if at all.

It's a game of three halves!

bobplum

Re: How does "George" Work?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:12:33 pm »
George is a basic programme, in my opinion, but functional.
You can also run it on a PDA device but they are getting harder to get hold of
You pay a £50 one off fee and then an optional £12.00 a year for internet back up
Its easy to use

The other programme i have used is AWORKA more advanced can be used on a iphone, costs £10.00 a month so no printing of work sheets

I personally use george simply for its ease of use and i print the sheets out for the weeks work

bob

Tom White

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 01:52:26 pm »
How do you currently manage your round, Gold?

I use a spreadsheet and it does the job luvverly.  But I'm pretty good at manipulating them to get the information I want; such as all outstanding payments; or a list of all the people who owe me, but who pay by bank transfer; or who is due for cleaning by date or by area.

It literally takes a few minutes to update each day (or twenty minutes hour at the end of a week).

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:17:36 pm »

I use a spreadsheet and it does the job luvverly.  But I'm pretty good at manipulating them to get the information I want; such as all outstanding payments; or a list of all the people who owe me, but who pay by bank transfer; or who is due for cleaning by date or by area.

It literally takes a few minutes to update each day (or twenty minutes hour at the end of a week).

I have 20+ sheets of paper, lined and in landscape format. On the left is the custy name, address, frequency etc. If it's monthly and I do them say 2nd April I write 2/4 and either "Y", "N", or "OL" meaning "yes paid", "not paid" or "on line payment."

When a cheque, OL payment or cash arrives through the door I update the ledger, crossing out "N" or "OL" and putting "Y". Then once a month I go through the list and put the stuff to clean in the diary.

So let's say I've done a job on 2nd April I know I'm due (generally) either 4 or 8 weeks later and I write it in my diary. When the jobs done I cross it off in my diary and at the end of the day write it up in my ledger.

I therefore take two A4 items with me. A Day a Page diary and an A4 folder with all my custies in. I also write down how much work I've done on a monthly bar graph with £zero to £5000 on the left in £250 increments. If say I do £420 in a day I will draw a line at that point on the chart, fill it in with the amount and the day I did it. Next day I might do £310 and I might write "rain" or "5 hours worked" or "up to date" as one reason why it wasn't as much as I'd hoped.

I add the £310 to £420 and scribe a line at £730 and so on throughout the month.

At the end of the month I put the total and at the end of the year x 12 for turnover but keeping a record as each month goes by.

At the end of the year I generally know my bad debts - I chase them as they get to two cleans and at 3 either cull or cure them (which are usually about £100 lost at year end) and knock them off the total to declare the final figure to the tax man.

I also have a couple of pages for invoiced jobs which I either use word to print and then post or more frequently send by email.
It's a game of three halves!

bobplum

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 04:55:01 pm »

I use a spreadsheet and it does the job luvverly.  But I'm pretty good at manipulating them to get the information I want; such as all outstanding payments; or a list of all the people who owe me, but who pay by bank transfer; or who is due for cleaning by date or by area.

I have 20+ sheets of paper, lined and in landscape format. On the left is the custy name, address, frequency etc. If it's monthly and I do them say 2nd April I write 2/4 and either "Y", "N", or "OL" meaning "yes paid", "not paid" or "on line payment."

When a cheque, OL payment or cash arrives through the door I update the ledger, crossing out "N" or "OL" and putting "Y". Then once a month I go through the list and put the stuff to clean in the diary.

So let's say I've done a job on 2nd April I know I'm due (generally) either 4 or 8 weeks later and I write it in my diary. When the jobs done I cross it off in my diary and at the end of the day write it up in my ledger.

I therefore take two A4 items with me. A Day a Page diary and an A4 folder with all my custies in. I also write down how much work I've done on a monthly bar graph with £zero to £5000 on the left in £250 increments. If say I do £420 in a day I will draw a line at that point on the chart, fill it in with the amount and the day I did it. Next day I might do £310 and I might write "rain" or "5 hours worked" or "up to date" as one reason why it wasn't as much as I'd hoped.

I add the £310 to £420 and scribe a line at £730 and so on throughout the month.

At the end of the month I put the total and at the end of the year x 12 for turnover but keeping a record as each month goes by.

At the end of the year I generally know my bad debts - I chase them as they get to two cleans and at 3 either cull or cure them (which are usually about £100 lost at year end) and knock them off the total to declare the final figure to the tax man.

I also have a couple of pages for invoiced jobs which I either use word to print and then post or more frequently send by email.

OMG :o :o :o :o

bobplum

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 04:55:38 pm »
SORRY FORGOT TO  PUT THIS IN.............. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 05:03:13 pm »
much easier using george gold.saves a lot of faffing about!ive even got myself a decent PDA(brand new).so hardly any paperwork at all! :)
price higher/work harder!

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 05:12:34 pm »
We run George and i am trailing round partner.

For the money George is bang on. But more than one van i can see why RP is appealing

Ian101

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 05:30:14 pm »
don't think I could run without George system ... too cheap at £50

robertphil

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 06:18:47 pm »
if you shorten each address and put the price on the end you can get it into 1 line . then when you print off your worksheets on George you can just print the one sheet with a whole weeks work on it . Easier to refer to i find
  i couldnt  live without George , had it 5 yrs now -i had a crazy card index before

Frankybadboy

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 07:37:01 pm »
you can use a 30day trial with George,

then if you like you just pay the fee£50 and then just carry on.

thye hardest bit is putting all the info on and then it does it all for you .

its idiot proof even Trippy can use it  ;D ;D ;D ;D

firefly123

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 07:49:53 pm »
George is the best 50 i have ever spent
shiney one

DaveG

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 07:54:34 pm »
George is the best 50 i have ever spent

+1
You can't polish a turd

rosskesava

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 08:03:17 pm »
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 08:06:00 pm »
60 day trial :)

Tom White

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 08:35:46 pm »

I'd go for George if I were you, but it'll mean lots of inputting information. 

I find a spreadsheet easy; this is tomorrow's work (I've deleted the amount I charge them, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses).

Black is monthly; red is usually every-other-month.  The column on the far left denotes an area so I can sort by area very quickly; though I keep my master file in alphabetical order.  'Cheque' and 'BT' (Bank Transfer) indicate outstanding payments.  It's easy to do a sort on this column and pull up a list of outstanding payments.

I have the names and telephone numbers of the vast majority of my work; I even ask for names of husbands/wives and I can remember them too, after a while.  It's always nice to say "Hello Mrs ______" when I bump into them in Tescos.

If you can't do spreadsheets, go for George.  Your way sounds like hard work.

8weekly

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 09:29:54 pm »

I'd go for George if I were you, but it'll mean lots of inputting information. 

I find a spreadsheet easy; this is tomorrow's work (I've deleted the amount I charge them, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses).

Black is monthly; red is usually every-other-month.  The column on the far left denotes an area so I can sort by area very quickly; though I keep my master file in alphabetical order.  'Cheque' and 'BT' (Bank Transfer) indicate outstanding payments.  It's easy to do a sort on this column and pull up a list of outstanding payments.

I have the names and telephone numbers of the vast majority of my work; I even ask for names of husbands/wives and I can remember them too, after a while.  It's always nice to say "Hello Mrs ______" when I bump into them in Tescos.

If you can't do spreadsheets, go for George.  Your way sounds like hard work.
I am rubbish at names and envy the ability to say "Hello Mrs Wossername". To me they are just addresses.

Aworka works well. However I do at times find the site a little slow. Chris will give you help with importing the data. I like the ability it gives to watch your round grow.