Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

roundbuilder

4040 ro help.
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:45:42 am »
Years ago i bought out a window cleaner and with it came lots of old equipment including an old 4040 ro that the filter housings were broke and was dusty and looked rugged and old and literally had it but i still took it anyway...
3 years later(this morning) i cleaned it all up and tested it(without carbon and sediment as the housings are smashed to bits) so just to see what outcome the membrane has i let it run for an hour and was shocked to see 15ppm coming out unboosted on 40 psi pressure with 360ppm going in..this was with roughly 70/30 waste to pure ratio with the pressure valve.

I had visions of it being shot to bits and being 50-100ppm! So im not going to fire it up again untill i have got all the right filters in place..
i need to order some filters and housings, could someone put me in the right direction on what to buy??
Ie-do i need 10 inch or 20 inch housings and filters and is it just sediment and carbon that i need??

And i have always used merlins and never needed to flush before! how do you flush im guessing disconnect to the di resin and turn pressure valve to 100% waste or is that wrong???
Many thanks.

Smudger

Re: 4040 ro help.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 11:34:46 am »
Am I right you ran the membrane today with no carbon protection ?

If so you may as we'll throw it away as the chorine will now have damaged the the RO
 ( that's my understanding ) and over a short period of time become useless at removing TDS particles.

Sorry,

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

roundbuilder

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 11:49:15 am »
Oh bugger!!.
Even if just for an hour to see the ppm output??.
Oh well worst case is a new membrane needed then too..buggerballs.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 11:59:57 am »
Chlorine contamination....

I'm pretty sure an hours worth will be too much,  might be worth dropping a line to Doug at daqua as he's an expert and could advise better

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

roundbuilder

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 12:14:55 pm »
Ill see how it goes over the next few fills and if it rises ill get a new membrane, any advice for me regarding the filters smudger??
Would be greatly appreatiated as gonna drive to cleaningspot in the morn to get the gear i need.
Taa

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 12:18:34 pm »
Mick, I use 10 inch carbon and sediment filters on my 40 inch r/o.
Boosted with a b and q water tranfer pump. Produces 1000ltr in 4 hours.
Yes you will need to flush before running it through your di. I flush a 18 gallon buckets worth.
As regards running without the carbon block, I am not the best at replacing my pre filters and indeed bought my system second hand and used there old pre filters for a year before changing.  :o I have experienced NO problems with the R/o unit. The 40 inch is over 6 years old and filters down from 180 ish to 011.
Hope this helps.

roundbuilder

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 12:20:47 pm »
Mick, I use 10 inch carbon and sediment filters on my 40 inch r/o.
Boosted with a b and q water tranfer pump. Produces 1000ltr in 4 hours.
Yes you will need to flush before running it through your di. I flush a 18 gallon buckets worth.
As regards running without the carbon block, I am not the best at replacing my pre filters and indeed bought my system second hand and used there old pre filters for a year before changing.  :o I have experienced NO problems with the R/o unit. The 40 inch is over 6 years old and filters down from 180 ish to 011.
Hope this helps.

Music to my ears that.
Thank you verey much.

Ben wood

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 01:10:46 pm »
Can you put a link up of the b and q pump you use please kent

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 04:22:08 pm »
bought it in a sale about 3 years ago for a tenner!!!! similar to these......

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/051011800

Frankybadboy

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 06:14:35 pm »
pure freedom do the housing nick ;)

if y6ou go 20" then you don't need to change then that often compare to 10" ;)