Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ben M

propane gas regulator help
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:57:45 pm »
i have this propane gas regulator:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Propane-Gas-Regulator-37mbar-Manometer-Level-Gauge-BBQ-Camping-Caravan-Plumber-/181201442827?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

what does at mean when the needle is in the yellow bit?

Many thanks

Ben

Spruce

Re: propane gas regulator help
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:48:47 pm »
I presume that because red is on the other side (danger low gas and green is between the yellow and red) that you have a full cylinder of gas, which you will be able to confirm. If you have used it for a while, then maybe the needle is stuck or red means that the pressure it too high in the gas bottle from heat etc = danger and yellow means you have no gas left.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dannymack

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 07:04:22 am »
Yes Ben Spruce seems right, I'm guessing its a pressure of how much gas you have in the bottle and when you get low the needle will work its self to red
You will have to let us know as I could do with one, never know when I'm gonna run out until it does

andyM

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 08:21:21 am »
I would agree with Spruce.
Yellow is empty.
One of the Plebs

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:43:37 am »
Yes Ben Spruce seems right, I'm guessing its a pressure of how much gas you have in the bottle and when you get low the needle will work its self to red
You will have to let us know as I could do with one, never know when I'm gonna run out until it does

The trouble with those gauges Danny is that they rely on pressure to tell you how much gas is left and are very inaccurate.

The liquid gas turns to vapour in the top of the cylinder and stops when the pressure gets to a certain level. That pressure keeps the remaining gas in liquid form. When you draw some vapoured gas off for your boiler the pressure drops inside the cylinder allowing a little more liquid gas to turn to vapour.

The process works very well until the end when there is hardly any liquid gas left and by then you are just about to run out of gas. This is an issue the LPG tanks used in motor homes still experience (see RV forum complaints), so over time owners get pretty good at estimating how much gas they have left. My dad was pretty good at doing that over 50 years ago with his gas bottle in our caravan when were were kids.

This is why the safefill gas bottle is a good idea imo as you can see how much gas you have left in the bottle. (Unfortunately, Morrisons LPG garage in Redcar 5 miles from where we live won't allow them to be filled there now either.) If you have a fitted LPG tank then topping up when you are passing a garage is easy.

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:58:34 am »
Yellow is empty.

;D.

TBH I put each foot on either side of the fence leaving Ben to tell us. I know he bought his setup at the same time as Daz and Daz is using his. I haven't seen any posts with Ben using his yet I don't think. (There must have been an instruction slip in the box when he bought the regulator - has he bought a regulator yet I wonder?)

If he has connected his unit up and used it, then he would be able to tell us where the needle is with a full bottle of gas. After that the rest is easy to figure out.

Which is most dangerous; running out of gas or the gas bottle getting too hot and in danger of exploding? So is this a friendly information gauge for the user or a warning gauge? I did an internet search but found nothing.

The sales illustration is with the needle on yellow and is a photo of the unit itself not connected to a gas bottle, so if I had to choose Andy, I would go with you and say yellow was empty.

ben M

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 09:17:26 am »
Yellow is empty.

;D.

TBH I put each foot on either side of the fence leaving Ben to tell us. I know he bought his setup at the same time as Daz and Daz is using his. I haven't seen any posts with Ben using his yet I don't think. (There must have been an instruction slip in the box when he bought the regulator - has he bought a regulator yet I wonder?)

If he has connected his unit up and used it, then he would be able to tell us where the needle is with a full bottle of gas. After that the rest is easy to figure out.

Which is most dangerous; running out of gas or the gas bottle getting too hot and in danger of exploding? So is this a friendly information gauge for the user or a warning gauge? I did an internet search but found nothing.

The sales illustration is with the needle on yellow and is a photo of the unit itself not connected to a gas bottle, so if I had to choose Andy, I would go with you and say yellow was empty.
Hi Spruce,

Thanks for your message. Yes i bought the regulator and used it, no instruction in the box regarding the manometer!
the needle is just after the yellow section(green section) with a full bottle of gas and even after 5 days of use  ??? the needle didn't move!

dannymack

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 02:15:33 pm »
Ooo ill leave from getting one cheers Bruce. I did have the clear gas bottle but they don't hold much gas. I did have one of those things you put in the side of the bottles that have magnets what a load of rubbish that was !!!

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 05:41:43 pm »
Yellow is empty.

;D.

Hi Spruce,

Thanks for your message. Yes i bought the regulator and used it, no instruction in the box regarding the manometer!
the needle is just after the yellow section(green section) with a full bottle of gas and even after 5 days of use  ??? the needle didn't move!

Hi Ben
This is the problem. That needle won't move until the very end of your gas and then it will drop very quickly. Please let us know how you get on with it once the bottle is nearly used.

Well done for getting your system up and running. How are you finding it?

steven ainger

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 06:54:52 pm »
I had a gauge like that once,
The're poope

Mark A Smith

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 08:42:30 pm »
Hi all

This is a post for Ben, I see your in the east devon area. I'm just starting out wfp cleaning in south devon. Wandered whether I would be able to tag along for a day with you ? got lots of questions, mainly on pricing and equipment maintenance,etc. Would be more than happy to buy you a few beers or similar for your time and expertise..  :)

PoleKing

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 08:44:43 pm »
Hi all

This is a post for Ben, I see your in the east devon area. I'm just starting out wfp cleaning in south devon. Wandered whether I would be able to tag along for a day with you ? got lots of questions, mainly on pricing and equipment maintenance,etc. Would be more than happy to buy you a few beers or similar for your time and expertise..  :)

He will have more questions than you fella.
No offence Ben
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

ben M

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 09:27:57 pm »
Hi all

He will have more questions than you fella.
No offence Ben
;D
I don't know if i could be very helpful, i have a ionic system, not like most of them on here, cheap and cheerful system  ;D Where are you in south Devon Adam?

Mark A Smith

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 09:45:04 pm »
In torbay Ben, whereabouts in the east are you ? i have a 250l RO k-system, as i say the pricing namely commercials around this way, your opinion on what i have equipment wise and any other tips.  Any spare time would be much appreciated.