Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

groundhog

RO problems
« on: August 17, 2013, 11:40:19 am »
I have had my RO man unit for about 7 years with no problems at all, I changed the membranes in february, and change the filters every few months. We recently had some very dirty water coming out of the taps, due to the local water company working on the mains doen the road. Ever since then, my water has been coming out at an average of 40ppm, I keep changing the filters and the resin, which very briefly gets it down to almost zero ppm, then it very quickly starts to rise again! Surely I don't need to change the membranes already? the last ones lasted for 6 years!

Any suggestions? or can anyone recommend a good cheap RO to replace mine?

Thanks

dave0123

Re: RO problems
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:54:36 pm »
Looks like the dirty water has knakkerd your membrane, or the something has changed since they have done work in your area... less water flow? less water pressure? etc
Dave.

PoleKing

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:59:46 pm »
Probably the membranes bud.
If your tap TDS is similar-that's confirm it.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

groundhog

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:43:57 pm »
My tap tds is 270ppm, the system is pumped, and since I have started having these problems, my static tank seems to fill up much quicker than it used to? I am thinking about just getting a new RO system. I am quite surprised though, as all this week I have been using water with a tds of around 40ppm, with very few problems, apart from the odd spot here and there!

PoleKing

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 02:17:31 pm »
If you can afford it, might as well jump to a full system. 4040 or suchlike.
Though I won't knock the ROman's. served me very well for years.
If you're on a meter you'll make your money back in no time
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 02:29:56 pm »
Could you check your reading with another tds meter. We carry a bottle of water with a known tds to check it.

We have also had some really dirty water of late, but it hasn't upset the r/o.

It could be a faulty membrane. I would check the performance of each one individually. Also if you are producing water quicker than before, it could be that you have a housing connected up incorrectly.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

groundhog

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 12:22:19 am »
Thanks for the help guys, I feel like I have tried everything! So going to bite the bullet and get another Ro from RO man, this one has lasted me 7 years. so that can't be bad!

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 01:18:09 am »
Do you use a sediment filter?
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

a900

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 09:12:43 am »
What about flushing them over night.

Nothing to loose.

groundhog

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 10:11:50 am »

Nothing to loose.

Never thought of that! I must admit that I rarely flush the system, can you tell me, when I back flush, should I have the pump switched on or off? Cheers, I will give it a go.

And Rosskesava, I think I have a sediment filter? which one is that?

elite mike

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 10:43:37 am »
Hi Groundhog.

Have a look at these ro,s they come ready assembled and i find them much better than the ROMAN systems

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200gpd-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-SYSTEM-POLE-WINDOW-CLEANING-AQUARIUM-DISCUS-MARINE-RO-/261083298269?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3cc9c6f9dd

andyM

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 11:05:10 am »
If you can afford it, might as well jump to a full system. 4040 or suchlike.
Though I won't knock the ROman's. served me very well for years.
If you're on a meter you'll make your money back in no time

I used a pumped 400 gpd ro for a few years.
It wasn't bad at all, and during the summer would produce around 60 ltrs of pure per hour.
But in the winter when temperatures drop it would produce water much much slower (as all ro systems do).
I've recently made the jump to a 4040 with a decent booster pump and it's sooo much better at producing water FAST.
A completely different animal to the smaller ro's.
And although a lot more expensive, I believe it was worth every penny and worth the investment.
One of the Plebs

groundhog

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 10:26:01 pm »
Thanks Mike, that is a good price, I might give that system a try. Will I be able to produce 800ltrs a day with this system? And thanks Andy, I am sure you are right about the 4040, but I'm not prepared to part with that kind of money just yet!

a900

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 11:20:43 pm »

Nothing to loose.

Never thought of that! I must admit that I rarely flush the system, can you tell me, when I back flush, should I have the pump switched on or off? Cheers, I will give it a go

I would flush with pump on. When I got
My upgrade filters they were not producing great Tds. I left them flushing overnight and they came down. Now produce at 7 from 350 ish.

groundhog

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:00 am »
Hi Groundhog.

Have a look at these ro,s they come ready assembled and i find them much better than the ROMAN systems

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200gpd-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-SYSTEM-POLE-WINDOW-CLEANING-AQUARIUM-DISCUS-MARINE-RO-/261083298269?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3cc9c6f9dd

I have ordered one of these systems, a 450gpd, about half the price of a ROman system! Just hope it's up to the job! Thanks Mike

elite mike

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 04:06:44 pm »
Hi Groundhog.

I have ordered one of these systems, a 450gpd, about half the price of a ROman system! Just hope it's up to the job! Thanks Mike

cheers , i am sure you wont be disappointed