Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

Re: I asked the H&S experts:
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2013, 10:51:50 pm »
It was fully extended. What's that-68foot?

So, at last, we have a winner!

Darren Lane has successfully talked himself into having a Gardiners extreme brush dropped on his head from a 68' multi-storey car-park. All in the name of research. Just to prove that dropping a 68' WFP causes no more damage than a mere scrape.

rosskesava

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2013, 11:28:56 pm »
I think there are two types of H & S.

There is one that is pedantic and is about ticking boxes and quoting rules just for the sake of it and designed to make a simple job complex and bureaucratically impossible whilst encouraging paranoia about H & S while at the same time making gods out of those who are 'in the know' about such things.....

And then there is the other type, how to actually do the job taking into account the job being done and the circumstances whilst applying H & S but not to the point of utter stupidity.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

formb

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2013, 11:15:55 am »
Quote from: Andrew Willis
Over the weekend on the FWC SOS Facebook your clearly spelt out your support for our trade association. What I feel would put closure on this whole matter and would clearly help certain CIU members would be to call a meeting with Bryan Dolby and the FWC committee, request our trade association cover the cost of a QC, invite the working at height team from the HSE, representatives from Lloyds underwriting, and a Judge. I!ll attend along with a couple of contacts and we can address the photos and the case I use. I will be happy to provide all the information and other examples this way we can challange all attendng. Clearly the traffic this subject gets warrants our trade association clearing up the doubt, uncertaincy and arrive at a difinitive legal view, I see no point in wasting time on this issue on CIU

I also would recommend also Stuarts image, this would be a an opportunity for you to do something constructive and positive for the industry, I support this 100%

Balls in your court

Oh bejesus, why on earth would you want to do that?

To me this does not sound positive or constructive, quite the opposite. I would understand if people were being killed and maimed up and down the country by falling poles but they are not are they? The risk here is very low. I agree that there may be some cases which in order to remain safe a cordon may be necessary. The last thing any of us need is a ruling from the FWC the HSE or anyone else dictating what is legal and what isn't. Assess each job on its merits and take it from there.

I understand that as a health and safety person your motivation on this issue is different to ours but do not make out like you are trying to help. I don't want to be unsafe but in my view I take adequate precautions to avoid what is already quite a low risk.

It disappoints me that you have felt the need to delete your account again, I think you have much to contribute here and lots to gain also. Even if not everyone agrees with you all the time.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2013, 12:23:02 pm »
I think there are two types of H & S.

There is one that is pedantic and is about ticking boxes and quoting rules just for the sake of it and designed to make a simple job complex and bureaucratically impossible whilst encouraging paranoia about H & S while at the same time making gods out of those who are 'in the know' about such things.....

And then there is the other type, how to actually do the job taking into account the job being done and the circumstances whilst applying H & S but not to the point of utter stupidity.

The voice of reason as usual Ross.

Type A) Gareth Keenan from the office

Type B) The guy who is a manager at a factory where I have been cleaning for the last ten years collars me and says have you guys got ten minutes I just want to cover some stuff we've done with our lads about fork trucks.

Showed us a couple of slides; pointed out that fork truck drivers can't see through the upright stanchions of their truck and that we should be vigilant when on the factory floor. Showed us a case study in which an office girl was walking across a factory floor and got mown down and crushed to death by a truck going at 3 - 5 mph but that because she was walking at about the same speed and the driver couldn't see her through the stanchion he just went into her and under the wheels she went.

A good reminder for us who saunter through the place knowing that trucks are there running at slow speeds but with everyone assuming they can see each other at all times this accident happened.

But there was no "course", no half day training session; just a common sense reminder that was relevant to our job for which we were grateful.
It's a game of three halves!

Dave Willis

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2013, 12:39:38 pm »
I can't believe this  ::)roll

Andrew Willis has deleted his account again? What's the matter with the bloke? From what I gather he's a nice guy but if he's not prepared to debate his side and listen to other peoples opinions then maybe he's in the wrong job. Health and safety isn't all black and white it's full of grey areas and always will be. People like him must understand that everything in life carries some risk - you can't just screw everything into the ground and eliminate everything otherwise there will be nothing.
 Health and safety must listen to our needs too. There must be common sense in all this.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2013, 04:39:07 pm »
I haven't been trained how to use a cone.

Can someone please show me how to use one

Dave Willis

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2013, 04:47:27 pm »
Paint a large 'D' on it and attach a chin strap.

Oh, and goggles.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2013, 05:16:25 pm »
Paint a large 'D' on it and attach a chin strap.

Oh, and goggles.

No! You should turn a cone upside down and fill it with ice cream and stick a flake in the side.
It's a game of three halves!