Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Kevin Miller

Starting to get passionate about driveway cleaning
« on: March 22, 2014, 04:17:22 pm »
Ok CIU members I introduced a little bit about myself a couple of weeks ago but this past week got my first proper jobs of the year and I'm really starting to get passionate about it and really taking pride in my work and feeling proud of the results. Over the past 2 days I've read this part of the forum all the way back to page 30 and if anybody is starting out in this business I really suggest you do the same as it's been a great source of information as well as really good fun. I'll give information about my set up and then I'll ask some questions as some things are confusing me from reading over the pages. My machine is Japanese Yanmar L100 10 HP Hilta Electric Start, genuine interpump ws201 driven by reduction gearbox, doing 3000psi that produces 15 litres per minute, it was purchased of lee Kenny who I now know is a member on here and top guy, cheers lee. ( what bar would this be). At the moment set up is nothing special ie I fill wheelie bin up using customers water and away I go.

Question 1 - I see quite a few people no longer do sealing and one of these factors they say is weather. This is confusing me as if you are cleaning a drive and going back to re-sand surely you seal it straight after re-sanding so weather should not play a part or have I got this part wrong.

Question 2 - hypo? Done loads of reading the last couple of days and I now know what this stuff is and where to get it. From reading previous post it seems the general consensus is a mixture of 3:1 would that be correct ie 3litres of water to 1 litre of hypo? Also how is this applied through A watering can/sprayer. From reading on here is seems most people go over the surface with a fsc then apply the hypo then rinse off with a vario lance?

Question 3 - what is the best turbo nozzle to use and where do you guys get them from and for my machine am I right that I would need a no5

Question 4 - machine maintainace - ie how often does the oil and filter need to be changed and what oil to use for this machine.

Question 5 - where is the best place to buy say 30m of hose so I don't need to keep moving my pressure washer on the bigger jobs.

Sorry for all the questions guys but I thought it would be better asking all in one place instead of starting numerous threads. Some great people with great knowledge on here of the top of my head really enjoyed reading the contributions of lee (blast away) lee (powerwash cleaning), roger, Chris and I'm sorry cause I know I've missed some people out.

Ps it only allows me to upload 2 photos so I've uploaded a before and after of the Indian stone I cleaned yesterday. I'll try to upload some more later of other jobs I've done.

Cheers

Jettaway

Re: Starting to get passionate about driveway cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 04:38:09 pm »
I was gonna answer this but I never saw my name so I'm not... ... Haha no, I'm messing.

I don't seal because its a massive hassle. Its expensive to buy and can often make you more expensive than the next guy. Plus why would you graft just to give a sealant company a profit?! I'd rather have the money I earn myself. I understand your point regarding going back to seal when sanding, but if we've had a bad weather spell sometimes you can have several jobs to finish on a nice day. My diary can often be up in the air due to weather,  don't need the extra mess about.

Your right with hypo, I apply with a car wash brush. 3:1 is the same wether it's 3L to 1L or 12L to 4L.

Malcleanse have a nozzle chart on their website, see that but 0.5 sounds about right.

For me every 3-6 months depending on how much its used.

A local hydraulics shop, a lot cheaper than buying from a pressure washing supplier.

Photos looks good!

Kevin Miller

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:01:24 pm »
I was gonna answer this but I never saw my name so I'm not... ... Haha no, I'm messing.

I don't seal because its a massive hassle. Its expensive to buy and can often make you more expensive than the next guy. Plus why would you graft just to give a sealant company a profit?! I'd rather have the money I earn myself. I understand your point regarding going back to seal when sanding, but if we've had a bad weather spell sometimes you can have several jobs to finish on a nice day. My diary can often be up in the air due to weather,  don't need the extra mess about.

Your right with hypo, I apply with a car wash brush. 3:1 is the same wether it's 3L to 1L or 12L to 4L.

Malcleanse have a nozzle chart on their website, see that but 0.5 sounds about right.

For me every 3-6 months depending on how much its used.

A local hydraulics shop, a lot cheaper than buying from a pressure washing supplier.

Photos looks good!

Apologies how could I miss you as I've read through quite a few of your posts last couple of days, cheers for the reply it's appreciated.

Jettaway

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 06:02:45 pm »
Your welcome mate, I'm only goofing about that 8)

I've asked a lot of questions over the years and guys here have helped me loads. Only fair to pass it to other genuine people.

Some 'basic' questions are only simple if you know the answer. I remember when some of the 'ABC' questions seemed really complex to me.

BDCS

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 06:06:06 pm »
I'm only famed for sarcasm  :)
What do YOU gain by sealing ? Grief over weather, grief with customers expecting too much from what the sealant companies lie about their products - I tell the customers its cheaper to clean every other year.

Filter should be checked daily or weekly depending on its size - I buy a large filter to extend its range between checks.

I use 10/40 in the engine and a light gear oil in the pumpcase and gearbox - any low foam. I buy Silkolene gear comp and change anually.

I buy hose from these - tell them what you want, either 3/8 or 10m of 1/4" for the last length. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDRAULIC-HOSE-2-WIRE-SAE-100R2AT-1-4-3-8-1-2-3-4-1-/121163522810?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&var=&hash=item1c35e8a2fa

QR's I use are stainless
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pressure-Washer-Jet-Wash-Stainless-Steel-Quick-Release-Snap-Couplings-/271300061551?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3f2abe696f

Jettaway

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 06:22:20 pm »
I need to start reading posts properly, just realised I only answered about half your questions.

10/40 oil in my engine too, did use straight 30 but its like £9 a litre.

Some good eBay links there, I need some new quick releases and there a lot cheaper than my local hydraulic shop. Do you get both male and females with them? Do they crimp the hoses too on your first link?

BDCS

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 07:16:24 pm »
Yes and yes. The drop down list allows you to choose ends, length, etc. they are cheaper if you get the sellers details and order direct. The quick release seller is very good and stainless does not corrode and this allows seals to last longer - a bag of 100 viton seals for the QR's cost about a fiver - only need the big size.