Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul slater

getting on the table with the big boys
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:45:08 am »
i would like to pose a question? You have a cleaning business small or medium in size, you are making a good income or just getting by. But you want to get bigger and become a thorn in the side of the bigger cleaning companies that control a good number of the big cleaning contracts.

How do you get on the table with the big boys, eating chicken, caviar, fresh fruit, champagne etc. You get the picture. And you are on the floor eating the crumbs and scraps off there table that they dont want ,or cant be bothered with.

They think they have got to leave something for you guys, little to medium size p ant contracts some ones got to do them. Many may be happy where they are and thats fine. But if you want to get on that table there are alot of things that are hidden that might not be as straight forward as you think.

Cleaning well maybe the least hurdle you face. I have some ideas that i can add, but would like others to give me there take on this. anyone care to add a thing or two to this post. I would be most interested cheers paul

stevieg

Re: getting on the table with the big boys
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 06:18:56 pm »
You start it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diamond standard ltd

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 06:45:03 pm »
Depends on how many is eating at the table!! Because a lot of crumbs can make a big meal

pristineclean

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:07:26 pm »
I think that the phrase 'big boys' should be defined more clearly. The largest companies in the industry generally take on complex, large contracts with a low net profit margin which SMEs wouldn't be equipped, or would even want, to service.  

SME, though, covers a wide range of business sizes ranging in turnover from £3000 to £30m and there are certainly 'big boys' in that - these companies have mostly become larger through years of trading and I don't think that there's a realistic shortcut to that process.

My reading of your post, which may of course be incorrect, is based on the assumption that other cleaning companies view others as 'competition' on an individual basis and I struggle to accept that as being accurate. When I'm tendering for a contract, I know that I'm going to be bidding against 2-5 other companies and I really don't care who they are; I've never been particularly interested in the size of a company who I lose a contract to or gain a contract from and I never think about how my business success or failure affects other companies.

So my answer to your question is this:
I don't think that SMEs are 'on the floor'; we're sitting at a larger table with better food. Not so much with the caviar, certainly, but there is more meat on our chicken and our fruit is considerably smaller but has much, much more juice when you squeeze it.

paul slater

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 01:36:23 am »
The word big boys may have been thought of as a put down word on small to medium size business, but that was not my intention. It was a question? that one might think as directed at anyone of us, that would like to get much bigger but may not know how to achieve it, on a personal level or business level.

On a personal level you may not have the correct personal tools to get bigger. Some people need to do things to grow to achieve this other wise he would not be able to mix it with the people that matter when trying to get bigger contracts.

The word attitude comes to mind. How do you get it. This can be more powerful than having a business brain though it does help if you have one. I will throw a few things out there as someone wanted me too kick it off. You may have to transform your self, how do you do that you may ask.

Books on self development can help. On Social skills, dress skills, how to converse on all levels, from high class to middle class individuals.Sell yourself to others ,act bigger than you are, you may have to change the way you look to think big. great book by the way.

there are more things that i could add but i will leave that to others if they want to add to this post. On the business side of the ledger that could be tackled next post on how to get bigger major contracts with your new attitude and development. because that is were it starts.

To some this may sound like a strange post, then again it is on this type of forum. Because it has nothing to do with cleaning.  But i posted it anyway for what is worth. cheers paul