Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

People trying to barter
« on: March 30, 2013, 12:42:21 pm »
I was asked at the start of the week to price up a small commercial place.

Inside and out.

It has georgian windows, so outside fine, inside not so fine.

I gave them a price of £35.00 for the insides and £10.00 for the outsides on a regular monthly basis.

The guy just phoned me up and offered £20 for the lot. When I proceeded to explain that wasnt enough and the reason why the outside was so much cheaper than the insides was because the WFP system is so much faster than trad he went on to tell me it doesn't work anyway.

Dont they just bug you.

sean mcc

Re: People trying to barter
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 12:48:09 pm »
Just let him get some fool who will do it for £20,your the boss,you know what you need to make,just laugh at them,i do ;D

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:52:44 pm »
Yea, I wont be doing them thats a fact.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 01:14:13 pm »
I was asked at the start of the week to price up a small commercial place.

Inside and out.

It has georgian windows, so outside fine, inside not so fine.

I gave them a price of £35.00 for the insides and £10.00 for the outsides on a regular monthly basis.

The guy just phoned me up and offered £20 for the lot. When I proceeded to explain that wasnt enough and the reason why the outside was so much cheaper than the insides was because the WFP system is so much faster than trad he went on to tell me it doesn't work anyway.

Dont they just bug you.

Option 1. Tell him you'll do the outsides for £35, making it £70 in all!

Option 2. String him along and tell him you'll think about it; if he phones to chase you up tell him your still thinking about it; if he phones to say he's got someone else just tell him you're still thinking about it - mess with his head ...

Option 3. Tell him to get a life.

Option 4. Smile to yourself. 
It's a game of three halves!

andyM

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 01:51:48 pm »
I've got a customer who at the beginning told me that the wfp I was using "doesn't work" as her last window cleaner used this method and it didn't clean the windows properly.
After questioning her about her comment it turned out the old window cleaner was just rinsing the windows and not touching the frames or glass with the brush at all!
And that was why she thought wfp "didn't work" as the windows were not coming up clean.
One of the Plebs

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 03:32:37 pm »
i had a woman approach me this week asking to price her house up(1930s 3 bed semi with big bay windows and large conny).

i went round then phoned her back in the evening with a price of £30 every 2 months including 2  velux windows on the roof.she said her current window cleaner charges her £15 but doesnt clean frames or window over conny and velux windows.

she said she will have to have a word with her husband first and she will get back to me.i told her im the best window cleaner in her area with over 250 regular customers(true!) ;D ;D

anyway she got back to me and  said "fine!start cleaning them next month for me!" :D :D

ill spend an hour on first clean getting them up to scratch then the job will take me around 25 mins on maintenance cleans!!

happy days!! :D :D
price higher/work harder!

Michael Peterson

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 06:12:55 pm »
i thought you would have a lot more customers than that mate especially with your estate work ? you must have good prices daz

ronnie paton

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 06:28:12 pm »
You can't lie to customers the best window cleaner in your area??? 250
Customers definitely don't make that true either!!!

;D

robertphil

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:07:19 pm »
as ur a 1 man band i can understand your reluctance to do it at 20 , providing it was only a few windows id hav done it

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 07:24:33 pm »
Who's a one man band?

It is 7 edwardian paned windows, 5 of them have 12 panes of glass on them, 4 of them have 16 panes on them; with 3 doors, two of those needing to be done on both sides. If thats a few to yourself then you'd be happy. I wouldn't. Different kettle of fish as its edwardian windows.

So close to 250 panes of glass plus the doors. Crack on my son, crack on.

robertphil

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 07:37:08 pm »
aw,i thought you said was a small job. praps to you that is small .  id av wanted at least 15 quid per side  ,praps 18 . how many workers do you av?

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 11:11:09 pm »
It was a small job, £35.00 for the insides is small.

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 11:36:33 pm »
michael i have another 90 customers so 340 all together but not in her area!! ;) ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

robertphil

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 08:22:01 am »
 sometimes its worth a gamble to send a couple of workers inside while i rattle off the outs . often the insides are only done now and then ,once they see they look clean for a long time.    just my experience . 

Michael Peterson

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 10:08:15 am »
ahh that sound about right daz :-)

G Griffin

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 11:08:04 am »
That's not bartering.
It's bargaining, haggling etc but not bartering.
Bartering is an exchange of goods or services. Like, you cut my hair and I'll do your windows.
Just saying.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Neil Gornall

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 12:07:09 pm »
Think I have told this story on here before but it still makes me laugh so one more time wont hurt  ;D

a few years ago I was working on a local estate and was approached by an Indian fella who owns one of the local restaurants.

"How much to clean my windows?" he said
£12
"That's too much I will give you £10"
Sorry but the price is £12
£10 is plenty.
Maybe, but my price is £12
"OK leave it"
OK bye.

2 months later, same guy.
"How much to clean my windows?"
£12
"Thats too much I will give you £10"
Sorry but the price is £12
"That's too much I will give you £10, come on you need the work"
OK £10.
"great will you do them today"
Yes
"good"
Oh bye the way...... which windows do you want me to miss?
"I want them all done"
Oh right well its £12 for all of them.
"leave it then"
OK Bye.

2 months time
"how much to clean my windows?"
£12
"OK"

;D