Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

What is the point / benefit of membership of BICSc?
« on: February 18, 2006, 01:32:31 pm »
According to the SAFEcontractor info pack from, which I have just received, joining their scheme you could benefit from:
1.   discounts on insurance premiums
2.   telephone advice on any employment issue
3.   use of the SAFEcontractor Certificate, instead of completing numerous client specific health & safety questionnaires
4.   advice and support to improve your H&S standards
5.   Yellow Pages corporate advertising scheme at preferential rates
SAFEcontractor current subscription rates are from £100 to £500 (depends on the number of employees) plus Initial Subscription, until accreditation is achieved (from £123.38 to £622.75)

-----------

The costs of membership of BICSc are available from the website.  I would like to ask your opinion regarding membership of BICSc.  What are the points / benefits of being member of BICSc?

Thank you,
Kind regards,
Arthur

solar

Re: What is the point / benefit of membership of BICSc?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 08:17:39 pm »
We have been members of Biccs now for three months, we have picked up 3 major contracts through being members, a major airport terminal that has gone through a refit has just contracted us for the clean up operation, they said that they had looked through the yp and even though we advertise with a half page colour advert they said they didnt know who to trust, so they went to Biccs for advice,     

Key Benefits????????????

£23000 in revenue.    Speaks for itself in my opinion

regards

Solar

CMS

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 08:26:56 pm »
Unlike many trade associations, you can't just apply for full membership with BICS and get it for paying a fee. The grade of membership you are awarded (through 'Student' 'Associate' 'Member' 'Fellow' etc.) depends upon either/or qualifications and experience. It also requires a nomination.

A customer can therefore be certain that a member of BICS has the qualifications and experience that are required...................as pointed out in Solars post.

solar

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 08:39:10 pm »
Further to my last post we have a meeting next week regarding training for all of our staff, this will all be through the NVQ range of qualifications, we had long discussions in the office as to whether we need to do this as all our full time staff are more than qualified through experience and on the job training, however we eventually decided that even if the staff learn nothing, the value to a company as a recognised employer and company is priceless to our rang of blue chip clientel,

just a thought on a lighter note we have also just had to book a manual handling course for our staff, as due to health and saftey guidelines they must have this even to lift a vaccum cleaner up the stairs,

saying that the way some of our part timers leave the vaccume bags to breaking point before changing im suprised they dont need forklift licences to empty them as well.

regards

Solar

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 08:57:54 pm »
Thanks Solar,
Thanks Karl,

Let me put my point of view this way:

Unlike many trade associations, you can't just apply for full membership with BICS and get it for paying a fee. The grade of membership you are awarded (through 'Student' 'Associate' 'Member' 'Fellow' etc.) depends upon either/or qualifications and experience. It also requires a nomination...

Quote from BICS website:

APPLICATION FOR COMPANY MEMBERSHIP

Interested in applying for membership of BICSc and receiving all the benefits that come with it.

All you need is to fill in all the details below and we will process your membership in the next 24 hours.

As simple as that, but I have not found any explanation of the benefits that come with the membership.

...A customer can therefore be certain that a member of BICS has the qualifications and experience that are required...

... the value to a company as a recognised employer and company is priceless to our rang of blue chip clientel...

I and my partner have a proficiency certificate issued to me 7 years ago by the BICS, which we mentioned a lot a the time starting our own business…

However, at this very moment I think there is a point of becoming a member just to have a right to display their logo...  ???

CMS

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 09:05:06 pm »
Quote from BICS website:

Interested in applying for membership of BICSc and receiving all the benefits that come with it.

All you need is to fill in all the details below and we will process your membership in the next 24 hours.

This is also a quote from the BICS website...............

Please list all relevant qualifications (These will assist in accurate grading of your application)

It is rare for someone to be given full member status immediately (unless they hold a certain occupation or have the qualifications AND experience). You would probably get 'Associate Membership' first.

solar

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 09:07:06 pm »
Biccs in the cleaning business are regarded by all as a STANDARD within the industry in which to follow, they are leading members of the british cleaning council which all work together to raise the standards within the industry, imagine them as the education board in which all children work towards their standards and exams, if we all worked to the same high standards, and all used their colour coding and training then we would all be on the same wave length and then the only thing that we would have to sell to our customers is price, workplace experience and services, as standards should all be the same.

hope this makes half sense

regards

solar

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 12:00:17 am »
...It is rare for someone to be given full member status immediately (unless they hold a certain occupation or have the qualifications AND experience). You would probably get 'Associate Membership' first...

When you have a right to use the LOGO does it make any difference what kind of membership you have got...???

CMS

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 08:38:09 am »
I'm really not sure anymore. It's changed since I first became a member in the 80's.

I'm not sure if you even need to be nominated/sponsored now. It doesn't appear so on their web site application - but you always had to be before.

Where could you possibly use the logo as an 'individual member'.

Surely, if you wanted to use it on your website and advertising you would need 'corporate membership'. The costs for this are calculated on the number of employees you have (or used to be).

The best thing to do is to phone them, I think.

CMS

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 08:44:31 am »
More info from the BICSc website..................................

To become a member, a cleaning qualification such as the BICSc Foundation Certificate, COPC, FPCC, N/SVQ, City & Guilds 764 or other suitable recognised qualification or experience in the cleaning or allied industry is necessary.

Companies wishing to join as Corporate Members are required to have been trading for a reasonable period, to provide a sponsoring corporate member and give certain undertakings, which include conforming to the Institute’s Code of Practice.

Members enjoy a wide range of services including a Legal Helpline, Employment Advice, an exclusive special Insurance Scheme, access to a Health Insurance Scheme and discounts on a number of further services. In addition to the above Corporate Members are eligible for discounts on training materials (other than certificates) and individual member subscriptions. Corporate Members will also be listed in an advertisement which appears regularly in Cleaning & Hygiene Today as well as the Cleaning Industry Handbook when it is published in April of each year. They also have the right to use the BICSc logo on company stationery, within advertisements, and in other ways subject to Head Office agreement. Corporate Members also elect three representatives to the Council of BICSc for a three year term.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 09:17:11 am »
More info from the BICSc website..................................

To become a member, a cleaning qualification such as the BICSc Foundation Certificate, COPC, FPCC, N/SVQ, City & Guilds 764 or other suitable recognised qualification or experience in the cleaning or allied industry is necessary.

Companies wishing to join as Corporate Members are required to.....

Thank you Karl,

Where did you read it? I cannot find it on http://www.bics.org.uk/

CMS

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 09:22:39 am »
Click on 'about us' on the menu bar at the top.................then go to 'history'

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 09:34:26 am »
Click on 'about us' on the menu bar at the top.................then go to 'history'

Thank you Karl, :)
I would never think to look for such info there...  :-[, it should be displayed here:
...Quote from BICS website:

I will apply,
Kind regards,
Arthur

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 12:21:22 pm »
Quote from: BICS website:
...Members enjoy a wide range of services including a Legal Helpline, Employment Advice, an exclusive special Insurance Scheme, access to a Health Insurance Scheme and discounts on a number of further services...

Has anybody used any of the above mentioned services? 
Any comments on BICS Insurance Scheme?

Thank you,
Kind regards,
Arthur