Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Morph

How long does it take to learn?
« on: February 16, 2006, 09:46:15 pm »
Well, how long would you say, it took you to learn, before you could say you were a skilled window cleaner, traditionally?  When did you reach the point where you could walk into a job/quote and not be anxious?  You'd just deal with it.  You knew you could either do it, or you couldn't as soon as you pulled up.  And with just a glance, you'd have a good idea of the price?
I reckon that took me years, maybe 3 at least.
And that was with a bucket!  I don't think you can really get the wfp skill under your belt much quicker, it is, in fact harder to learn.  But it does seem like the rush is on, to get rich quick!
 What do you think?

rosskesava

Re: How long does it take to learn?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 10:08:17 pm »
We've been going 4 or 5 years. I can't remember which.

I still don't get it right.

Sometimes we over price and smile when we get paid and sometimes we seriously underprice and then say for the customer to phone us when they next want us and pass the job onto another local w/c who seems to enjoy under priced jobs.

More often than not I now over price the job because we don't need anymore work.

It's a great feeling to be a position to turn down the job.

I still um and ah at new quotes though and have the pretend discussion with the other 2.

macleod

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 01:07:32 pm »
i recon you get to know your speed after a year, then probably another year to price a job, and be prepared to walk away.... :-\

then, i think the answer to How long does it take to learn, is about the same length of time it takes for yorkshire folk to 'accept' outsiders esp 'southeners'... ;) ;)

macleod

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 01:09:45 pm »
pj what was the h&s thing you talked about in another tread.... also thanks for the outline - very useful  :-*

Morph

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 03:31:56 pm »
I'll start a new topic probably tonight.
Most of it has already been said, but all worth saying again.  Plus one or two things I didn't fully realise, and probably lots don't know.

For example (I shall repeat this), It has been said by some, that the client, esp domestic (housewife etc), isn't really bothered how we clean the windows, as long as they are clean, so why worry?

That viewpoint, belongs in the past.  It definitely does matter, the client should be bothered, and will have to be bothered.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 03:52:31 pm »
I got it sussed after about 2 or 3 years myself, but I've only recently got a lot quicker.
Strange, but after 8 years I suddenly find I'm miles quicker than a year ago....

Must be still finding new techniques I suppose.

dustycorner

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 05:28:35 pm »
I always add a £1 to the price i want to charge the customer so if they um and ah i have room to negotiate, if price drops  i still get the price i want if they don't haggle even better.

Took me about a year to switch off to all the reasons why i should be doing jobs cheaper, you know the ones "i'm only a pensioner " etc.

Cheers Mark.

macc

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 05:36:45 pm »
i reckon about 2 years, saying that 15 years later i get the odd one when i wonder if my brain cell was connected or just floating around again.  ???

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 05:54:38 pm »
When I first started window cleaning, I phoned a local window cleaner who took me out for two days.

I was prepared to pay him for teaching me, although I did tell him I'd be his 'female dog' for a couple of days.  Carry his ladders; anything.

I remember he told me the hardest part of window cleaning was learning how to use the 'squeegie'.

That made me laugh.  I was doing a 'technical' job at the time.  I was the equivallent of a pay-roll manager for a battalion of 500 soldiers and also the computer net-work systems administrator.  I had a team of ten soldiers to manage, and even had a civillian assistant who acted like my PA.  Surely any 'thickie' can be a window cleaner; as long as you're not scared of heights?

He was right though.  After three-years I can clean a window with a squeegie quickly and efficiently; but when I see guys who've been doing it for far longer; there's a big difference between them and I.

They make it look like an art; almost effortless.

But after three years, I feel I'm only 'competant'.  I've quoted for some big(ish) jobs, won a few, but lost most and every window cleaner who I've met; who appears to be successfull; has been articulate, personable and has that 'certain something' about them.

My residential customers - on the whole - seem to like me and appreciate my services; though.

But, I've still got a lot to learn.

Roy Harding

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 06:10:45 pm »
Tosh

"most and every window cleaner who I've met; who appears to be successfull; has been articulate, personable and has that 'certain something' about them."

You have not seen or spoken to me yet, Ill shater your image of a window cleaner. ;D

Perhaps its because im still learning after 21yrs, or im slow on the up take.

Roy

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 07:20:55 pm »
Tosh

"most and every window cleaner who I've met; who appears to be successfull; has been articulate, personable and has that 'certain something' about them."

You have not seen or spoken to me yet, Ill shater your image of a window cleaner. ;D

Perhaps its because im still learning after 21yrs, or im slow on the up take.

Roy

Roy,

From what I've heard about you; you'd make me feel like a 'gypsie' too!

PS.

Does anyone want to buy any homemade pegs? 

neil100

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 07:32:43 pm »
It is not just learning how to price jobs up. You also have to take into account any Cut Throat Charlies out there.

I W/clean at one village along with 3 other w/cleaners. They are all cheaper then me but I do have many loyal customers.

Nel.