Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Simon Fish

Header tank not shutting off
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:05:58 am »
Hi Folks again. This is just a minor fault on the truck mount, the header tank isn't shutting off and is overflowing. We imagine this is to do with the float. Does anyone know if you should adjust clockwise or anti clockwise, or is it another part we should be adjusting?

Simon Gerrard

Re: Header tank not shutting off
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:23:15 am »
Simon,
It's usually a seal in the ball cock assembly that's not seating right.

Simon

Adrian Walton

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:11:41 pm »
ive had problems in the past with mine were part of the brass linkage had worn so although the float was going up and down it was not closing the valve.

john rees

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 05:47:31 pm »
dismantle and lubricate valve parts with some silicon grease, that should sort it.

all the best
                                                                          John
john

Jim_77

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:36:39 pm »
Funnily enough mine has gone the same way this morning!  Mine's broken though, the plastic part that the swinging arm seats up against has broken, the bits fell out as I dismantled it.

If it's the same as mine.... You'll need to unscrew the float off the arm, then do your best to remove the valve from inside the tank.... it's a complete pain in the jacksy, on mine at least!!!

They should be a standard ball valve fitting, new one from plumb centre maybe set you back a tenner or something?  I'll find out first thing in the morning!  

Then got to fit it back in :-\

You need a spanner with the gape of a very big spanner, but the length of a very small spanner.  Or chew the nut up with pipe grips like I did, either way round a bit of a ball ache :-\

Jim_77

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 06:47:30 pm »
Ball valve repair kit from Wickes £3.49

Needn't have actually taken the valve assembly out of the header tank with hindsight but hey ho you live and learn

On my phone at the mo, will post a pic later on my computer

Simon Fish

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 12:26:03 pm »
Thanks everso much everyone, especially Jim for finding out about the ball valve repair kit. The funny thing is, I put my hand in and don't know what I did but it seems to have fixed itself. Good job it did, we're down to one van and machine at the moment, the other van's back axle went a few days ago. I'm going to have to post a new problem now with the heat exchanger, but thanks again.

Jim_77

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 12:23:09 am »
The plunger might have just been sticking, could be a little bit of debris or grit in there stopping the valve from seating properly.

I'd still take it apart and clean it out, and change the plunger for what it's worth... might continue happening?

Found this diagram..

You can see the brass arm that has the float on the other end... it moves the plunger in and out, opening up the water inlet aperture.  Obviously you've got brass pushing against plastic and there's only going to be one winner in the long term.

Picture below shows old plunger above, with bit snapped off that the brass arm pushes against.

Such a ridiculously silly little thing that can cause such a big problem!!

Hopefully this post might help a few people in the future! :)