Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Matt Gibson

hypo substitute?
« on: December 05, 2012, 08:19:57 pm »
Im looking for a product that will do the same as hypo, remove the moss/vegetation staining but it needs to be biodegradable as all the drains run into a pond which is a sort of project/environmental study (its a school)

Anyone got any ideas?

Roger Oakley

Re: hypo substitute?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:54:38 pm »
Never found anything that comes close Matt.
Does the pond have aquatic life in it? or some other sort of project.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 06:25:17 pm »
Yeah Roger the pond is full of fish/frogs etc and has some swans/duck too.

i have been put onto oxygen bleach. the yanks use it apparently to clean decking. i know its nowhere near as effective as hypo but knew i wasnt going to find anything like hypo.

Most of the clean is water only. just wanted something for the stubborn stains.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 06:34:16 pm »
Yeah Roger the pond is full of fish/frogs etc and has some swans/duck too.

i have been put onto oxygen bleach. the yanks use it apparently to clean decking. i know its nowhere near as effective as hypo but knew i wasnt going to find anything like hypo.

Most of the clean is water only. just wanted something for the stubborn stains.

Even the oxygenating bleach will damage/kill the fish Matt, do you have heat on your machine, if yes do it that way, last thing you want is a pond of dead fish.

BDCS

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 07:12:47 pm »
What about hydrogen peroxide - when I cleaned a water mill it was what the enviroment  agency wanted me to use instead of hypo. They use it to re-oxygenate waterways after a sewage spill. Percarb is a weak substitute. Check before in case I'm wrong  ::)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

Matt Gibson

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 07:43:08 pm »
The oxygen bleach is the hydrogen peroxide. same stuff. I emailed the company that sell it and they said it can be used in pond/waterways to do as you said, re oxygenate and kill bacteria/string algae.

I've got heat, so i might just use that like you suggested Roger, I dont want to have all those fishy deaths on my conscious.. ;D

Matt Gibson

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 08:00:38 pm »
Sorry, I tell a lie. The product i was looking at buying was Sodium Percarbonate.

BDCS

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 08:30:25 pm »
At end of the day there is nothing you can use unless very diluted. The EA moaned about the use of heat on that water mill job - but were happy about percarb when they researched it. The EA never found out about the hire company driver who drove the cherry picker over the bridge, it collapsed and the machine spilt oil everywhere. The hire company had to send a 20 tonne 360 to retrieve the cherry picker and then repair the bridge. Heat usually gets most things off

Roger Oakley

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 08:37:01 pm »
Sorry, I tell a lie. The product i was looking at buying was Sodium Percarbonate.

Sodium Percarb is really just a weak bleach chem you can use on decking, Matt stick with the heat and you really should be able to remove most stuff you are talking about, plus you won't have a pond of floaters to worry about.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 10:42:32 pm »
Yeah i think ill stick with the heat.

Roger, whats the percarb like on the decking?

Roger Oakley

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 06:24:19 am »
Yeah i think ill stick with the heat.

Roger, whats the percarb like on the decking?

Okayish doesn't clean as deep as a hypo mix, the americans call it "wood care for dummies" as you shouldn't do to much damage if you haven't got a clue, IE weekend warriors, add-on merchants etc. Hypo is fine in the right hands and a bit of care taken  ;)