Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Blue Frog Systems

Does anyone use a card reader to take payments ?
« on: August 26, 2012, 07:50:44 pm »
Really considering a card reader now. am fed up of going collecting and people not being in. I leave a note to say the windows have been cleaned and that i will be back on a certain day.

Tonight ive been out and less than 1/3 of people in. a couple i reckon are on holiday but the rest arent.

so my question is.... does anyone use a card reader, how much is the cost and can you use it over the phone ?
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

magic moments

Re: Does anyone use a card reader to take payments ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:54:38 pm »
I wouldn't appreciate someone knocking on a Sunday night!

Fin Clearview

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:04:14 pm »
I think PayPal have one in us but soon to come here for iphones. Forget remote pdq, unless you want a rather large device on your hip, which you'll have to insure on your home insurance. Merchant banks also have minimum charge of say £10 per month, if you don't go over that in charges that's the charge. Also remember no matter how professional and honest you may be there will still be many who won't want to give you their card due to fraud. Also the PayPal one like 'Square up' is only a dongle swipe attachment to your phone and people may be suspicious tbh, although its the cheapest and easiest solution.

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 10:08:37 pm »
sunday night collecting on a bank holiday weekend?i would never dream of doing it on a normal sunday!! ;D ;D ;D

august is always a bad month for getting your money in ive found.as for card readers i wouldnt want to bother and i hope i never do!BACS,SAE and cash collection works best for me.

just think of all that extra money youll get in september!!im predicting  bumper takings!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 10:14:13 pm »
Id never dream of collecting... never mind on a Sunday  ;D

stuart mc

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 10:21:34 pm »
Really considering a card reader now. am fed up of going collecting and people not being in. I leave a note to say the windows have been cleaned and that i will be back on a certain day.

Tonight ive been out and less than 1/3 of people in. a couple i reckon are on holiday but the rest arent.

so my question is.... does anyone use a card reader, how much is the cost and can you use it over the phone ?

I actually put this to the test, I don't have a card reader, but when collecting and I got the usual oh no cash I pay by card blah blah women making excuses, I said you can do that online or I have a card reader in the van I will go get it, everyone backtracked and made up more pish excuses not to pay

richywilts

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 12:17:13 am »
we use a mobile card machine from card save customers love it im sending my lad out tmoz collecting got pay day coming up on wednesday so need the pennies in if theyre over the 7 day payment terms they owe me money why shud i respect there time off if they cant respect my needs for prompt payments
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Banbury Window Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 07:07:40 am »
i agree with Richy on this one! you provide a regular reliable service so why should you accept late payment? I changed to SAE and online transfers a couple of months ago. If i havent rec'd payment within 7 days i start texting reminders everyday.
I still collect some every sunday evening out of choice but this is only for the very late payers or people I have agreed I will pop back to
In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment."

Ian101

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:41:42 am »
we use a mobile card machine from card save customers love it im sending my lad out tmoz collecting got pay day coming up on wednesday so need the pennies in if theyre over the 7 day payment terms they owe me money why shud i respect there time off if they cant respect my needs for prompt payments

well said that man ....

john@windows2clean

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 12:37:20 pm »
I have an izettle card reader that connects to the base of my iPhone. Only accepts MasterCard at the moment though.

boshravie

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 01:20:16 pm »

Hi blue, how about bank transfer?
Very easy for customer point of view as well as easy for you too. plus it doesn't cost hardly much money.
We have 70% of our customers on Bank transfer now.
All you do is to text your customers your bank details and they do the rest, but you must ask them to put their address as the reference when they pay, this way you know who has paid and who hasn’t.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 01:55:23 pm »
I never collect and never will, I get paid by most of my customers on the day of the clean, even if they are out.

The ones who have forgotten either pay online, send a cheque or pay on the next clean.

I very rarely have more than £120 owed to me at any one time

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 02:33:00 pm »
i always give notice when i collect so they get a min of one days notice... eg clean wed collect thursday evening. some text and say not in, some text and leave the money for me, others dont bother.

bosh - yeah have got about 50% on bank transfer, but this is for those that dont and wont use it.

lee_dewing

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 09:11:44 pm »
Blue frog, as said credit transfer.

Custies that still pay late offer standing order, or don't bother.

I had some pay by cheque, who now do credit transfer and still pay late ::)

Some have offered to go standing order to be fair but i'm late sometimes and would end up paying my custies :D
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 09:20:11 pm »
i do bank transfer but some dont / wont use it.

am sure every one of my customers have a bank card

lee_dewing

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 08:07:03 pm »
Blue frog,  just posted to see if anyone charges late fees?

Am sure some do.

Will think of this for the few that are serial offenders.

The ones that hold onto your money til the death might change their minds if they realise it will cost em a couple off quid extra....or they'l sack me...no great loss really, wheat from the chaff and all that ;)
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

richywilts

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 09:06:40 pm »
we have charged late fees in the past not my idea to be fair some were really apolegetic and were happy to pay and even reminded us they owed a late fee etc yet some really were peed off i think we charged 1.50-2.50 late charge
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk