Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Moderator David@stives

Why do we do it
« on: January 12, 2006, 10:01:22 pm »
In my first 3 years i had bags of enthusiasm,but it started to slowly wain.
The fact is if you have young children the state looks after you well and heavily penalises those who earn more money.so until you start grossing £500 a week you are no better off than the man who earns £200 a week at least he will get a huge top up off the state and pay very little tax.
The man earning £500 will pay a lot of tax and recieve no help.

So the take home pay will be the same for both after taxes and benefits.

I only realised this when it became to late and slogged my guts out for the last 8 years.

I am only just getting my rewards after 8 years and i am getting to a stage where i feel comfortable. By no means well off.
Just comfortable in the fact i can pay my bills and afford a few beers etc.
My eldest child has just turned 17 so my family credit got reduced to zero.
I still have 2 children at home and now have to earn all my crust with no help off the state.
Those with children will understand what i am saying.
I have just worked out i need £2000 every month to pay my bills including shopping and vehicles mortgage etc.  Then after that i have to find money for my tax bill.
Scarey thought isnt it.
There were times i thought about reducing my workload so i would get the tax credits everyone else seems to be getting .but i pulled through that and i am now going from strength to strength.

To all them that think it is easy think again it is going to be a long bumpy ride and there will be times you will feel so depressed in the mornings it will make you sick with worry.

But chin up.

I dont know why i said all that,  but there is always down sides to this job as well as the good.

Chris Cottrell

Re: Why do we do it
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 10:32:36 pm »
Amen Dave Amen

were all sheep !

Morph

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 10:38:08 pm »
Keep at it lads, millions on benefit are depending on you!

It's called the poverty trap Dave.  Although we live in an affluent part of the world, to get "comfortable" is an almost impossible leap for the majority.
Why do we do it?  Cos it's just a stop gap 8)

DASERVICES

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 10:41:12 pm »
  Dave,

Why bust your guts out, I'm in the same boat. Anything past £6750 profit
  is not worth it, the extra £1k you will only see £410 of it in your pocket.

So let someone else earn you that extra £1k, giving you more time to spend
  with the misses  ;D ;D ;D

It replaced the married man's tax allowance so we are all entitled to it, take
  and enjoy the life of free time and window cleaning.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 10:45:37 pm »
There is really one simple answer to this for me.

Lack of stress!!!

I decided to get out of the rat race and look for quality of life. I have always been quite a driven type of person and like a challenge but after a nervous breakdown (nothing to be ashamed of) and a lot more physical than most think. You aren't crazy when this happens. It's just that your system says "ENOUGH" I took some time out to get over it and just didn't want to go back.

I knew nothing about window cleaning but thought that there had to be an opening for a "PRO" service. I started out with not one customer. Got slogging the streets, wore a uniform and set to trying to build something I could be totally in control of and would rise or fall on its own merits. I started out charging around double the so called going rate. I offered frames and cills cleaned down every time, did just that... took me 6 months to even be able to squeegee at any speed. I am talking here about taking 1 hour to do a semi but stuck to it. Found this and other forums where I learned so much that within 3 months I was really starting to make a decent living.

Now I honestly do make a very good living out of window cleaning. Although its around half of what I made at one time I am a far more happy person. Having said all this I am only 2 years down the road and yes.. some days it's a slog to get out there. It can be very lonely as well working alone which suits me some days but on others I would be glad to talk to anyone.

Now for a statement that some might find a bit contoversial. If you do please remember that this is only my experience. It's no judgement on others. As I always say each to their own. I believe where I got it right was at the start not to be afraid to charge well for my services. OK its harder to get going as far as number of customers is concerned but it has paid off for me. I did deliver the goods and a lot of people are prepared to pay well for a good service. The end result is that instead of quantity I now have quality in terms of well paying customers. I footslogged whole streets at times where I didnt get one customer at my prices but I just kept on going. Its funny.. same town/village.. nothing in one street then loads in the next. Its just the way it goes.

Its all very well saying its stress free..  healthy.. etc but unless the rewards are there it must be very hard to get out there and work for what David so rightly says is an income that could be just as good with state benefits. I wouldnt do it. I couldnt in all honesty.

I have bought no work.. all my work I have got myself. Maybe if I had bought my work and had to stick to the so called normal price then I probably would think well thats all you can make around this way. I know better and am thankfull that I do.

One other very major factor in my motivation is that I have a 20 yr old son who has dyspraxia. Its a mild learning difficulty and to be honest he will never be really employable in any half decent job. What I am building now will look after him when I and his Mum ( My ex wife) can't any more. It's all taken care of through solicitors, trustees etc.

Well thats it for me.

Cheers

Andrew

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 10:56:32 pm »
Pause for thought

:-X

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 10:57:00 pm »
Andrew - your post brings a lump to my throat - the last paragraph says it all. Top man.
It's a game of three halves!

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 11:22:43 pm »
I think there are days for all of us when I wonder why we do it.

I worked for the Volunteer Services Overseas for 10 plus years. I got disillusioned when it finally dawned on me that the biggest problem, especially in Africa, is not insufficient aid from the West, but tinpot dictators, corruption and theft mixed in with fast food companies, pharmaceutical companies and powdered baby milk companies who all have their hands in each others pockets.

But no one's allowed to say that.

I came back to good old blighty to be shocked at how greed and avarice had become a virtue to be sold in the market place as 'Captains of Industry' if you get who and what I'm talking about.

Fed up, I decided to be a slob on the dole as those that seemed to do that always had enough money. They seem to always go on nice holidays and get council houses for free. Being a mug I was honest in my UB40 application and got sent for a job on the railways. Being a bigger mug I did as I was told at the interview and got the job which I couldn't then turn down as I'd get no benifits.

So a few years passed and I ended up driving trains  for again 10 years plus untill one day some poor bugger topped themselves in front of mine. I then became a liability to the privatised company and I was hounded out of a job and won hands down at an industrial tribunal.

All that I was awarded under the Thatcher scheme (which was changed 2 weeks after my case) was the maximum payout of just £7 000 which just about covered my debts incured due to months and months of having no income but still the bills came in.

Then me and a friend, the both of us being broke, decided to have a go at window cleaning. That was 4 (or is it 5) years ago.

My point is that life is full of problems. That is how it works and when I think I'm having a hard time, I remember back to some of the things I saw working for the VSO. There is nothing worse than seeing a mother cuddling a dead baby that has been dead for a few days that died all for the want of what we take for granted. Or seeing the bodies piling up at the side of a road because some ruthless person has a grudge. Or a village wherein every female aged 5 to 90 has been raped and all males slaughtered while those so called leaders in the West decide on the best course of action but take 5 or so years to do something that makes no difference. I've been in the middle of it and a few times have thumped tv reporters just because they want to get the best angle on it and judge veiwing figures and how they look above all else.

Now I am a w/c and I think I'm doing ok. I don't worry about the tax man, council tax or anything else to any real extent other than as a surface worry. I loose no sleep over any of it. If I have a roof over my head, warmth and food then that is what matters. Everything else is just an addition.

So window cleaning? I think it's a great job.

Like Dave posted, I don't know why I wrote all that.

Cheers

Ross

steve k

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 11:32:45 pm »
Andrew,
with you all the way lad ;)

dai

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 07:29:36 pm »
The one big thing this job has going for you is that you are your own boss.
Every day we come in contact with poor sods that haven't realised yet, that being successful in life has nothing whatsoever to do with material wealth.
So how do we measure success? For me, not how many BM's are parked outside, or the size of our house, or our bank account. Success for me is loving , being loved and how well the kids have done. My late wife never lived long enough to see our kids leave our ex council house and go to college. She never saw them in their caps and gowns when they graduated, or saw them in their successful careers.
Now when I see people who don't speak to their kids, who have been divorced three times, and think they can talk down to me because of the size of their bank accounts. I can turn round and say "sorry, I don't like you, and I won't be coming again". It really pi55es them off because some of them are employers, used to dishing out orders.
This job gives me the freedom to do that. And walk away with dignity intact.
Not many jobs out there like ours. Dai

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 07:43:49 pm »
never a truer word spoken
work to live, not live to work

work like you dont need the money.
l

jeff evans

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 08:06:11 pm »
WITH YOU ALL THE WAY ON THAT DAI I WONT WORK FOR ANYBODY WHO TREATS ME LIKE I WAS SOMETHING THEY HAD FOUND ON THE BOTTOM OF THERE SHOE.

JEFF

jon adams

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 08:54:10 pm »
Its getting a bit heavy 4 me lads, but in window cleaning every now and again your going to get something stuck to the bottom of your shoe   ;D

macc

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 09:16:16 pm »
andrew. i read what you wrote, 1 word mate, PRIDE. my hat off 2 u

busydaffodil

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 03:09:07 pm »
This really is an inspirational thread.  I applaud you all.    :)       I have nothing else to add, just Thank You.

steve k

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 03:49:58 pm »
I`m filling up here... :'(

when the road ahead looks all uphill...

look the other way ;D

Dai, I have a customer who thinks he is Mr Big...he makes me feel like a beggar when I go to collect off him...and that is only because he never sends a cheque in the envelope I leave for him.
I keep giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I left an envelope for him on Thursday...he has 7 days to send me a cheque...if I do not get it, I will be round for payment and I will then BIN him...(that means drop up here, by the way...nothing violent :D)

You are so right mate...he is only £15.00 a month.

I`ll let you know how it goes!! ;D

macc

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 06:00:22 pm »
steve, no what you me about some looking down their nose at me, its only cause they no they are small so it makes them feel better, sado's,  ;D