Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Marcus McDonnell

How to lift carpet to check material??
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:08:44 pm »
Can anyone tell me how to lift a carpet at the corner to check what material it is without damaging it i hav looked at a few and they look impossible to lift does anyone hav any advice??

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

Re: How to lift carpet to check material??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:19:42 pm »
Hi Marcus

There are probably a thousand unofficial/illegal/theoretical (delete as appropriate) ways of lifting a carpet including using the point where a carpet is cut round a radiator pipe.

Having done the IICRC course they'll tell you to use a kneekicker to take the tension off the carpet and then to use 2 carpet awls to gently lift the carpet off the gripper.

Then of course you should also know the "right" way to put it back. ;D

Mind you, the number of clients who lift the carpet to trail cables makes all this a bit academic! :o

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:18:32 pm »
Spray glue is often used to stick the carpet onto gripper.

Perhaps someone with some experience of fitting can elaborate.

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:39:57 pm »
As Roger says best place is around a radiator pipe if there is one.

Jim_77

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:07:34 am »
Clean it with plenty of pressure and no dry strokes, you'll have no trouble lifting the edge then ;D

Hilton

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:30:11 am »
Don't fanny around  with it, get a pair of pliers push the carpet down in the corner and pinch it, pull it back and it will lift with out any damage, even if a few tufts come out it will not be noticeable.

If your worried about doing that then get a nail lifter (a tool that looks like a screw driver but has an open end) slide it down behind the carpet and ease it up.

The only thing I would say about pulling it back from around the central heat pipe is the backing can get very brittle here due to the heat, so be very carefull the backing can split SURPRISINGLY easy.

Dennis

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 05:19:52 pm »
Ask if they have a spare piece.  ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 05:46:01 pm »
I nip and squeeze the fibres as though I were tightening my trouser pocket then lift up had a polypropolene tuft double in length once :o

Shaun

Dave_Lee

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 06:22:30 pm »
Don't fanny around  with it, get a pair of pliers push the carpet down in the corner and pinch it, pull it back and it will lift with out any damage, even if a few tufts come out it will not be noticeable.

Unless it's a loop pile, then you may well pull several loops and leave an empty line fault fault behind.
Stab an Awl into the carpet at the corner and gently lift. Be careful of live wires beneath.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Steven Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 06:44:42 pm »
stab it with a pitch fork!! ;)

Jim_77

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 09:56:47 pm »
Why not just turn the room upside down and shake it?

PaulKing

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 10:07:09 pm »

[/quote]

Unless it's a loop pile, then you may well pull several loops and leave an empty line fault fault behind.
Stab an Awl into the carpet at the corner and gently lift. Be careful of live wires beneath.
Dave.
[/quote]

thats the way and refit the corner with a chrome stair tool awl cost you less than a tenner and a stair tool the same.

you should all have a Kicker bolster/stair tool and some carpet tacks and spray tack adhesive, how else are you going to refit a carpet before cleaning if it needs it? ( more money and better rep for you) I had a seam split on a commercial job a month ago and said "have you seen the state of that" its not properly seamed, hang on while i get my kit and redo it for you right now, problem averted and many brownie points gained.
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Hilton

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:07:53 pm »

Dave.

Nah, you'd have to be very heavy handed to that, the loops will be fine...