Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

garyfindlay

Stale Water Smell
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:45:13 pm »
I have been asked to clean a carpet with a strong stale smell after a water leak, for a top scottish football club (in next years champions league, well qualifiers anyway) that has been cleaned up with their staff with a vax. I know this could lead to better things so want to get it perfect. I currently use enzall, followed by craftex deoderisor. Is their a better solution?

I case you can`t  identify the club, here classic vid of their manager: http://www.myspace.com/video/daniel/king-stuart-mccall/1588528

Jamie Pearson

Re: Stale Water Smell
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:30:02 am »
I would apply then flush out a sanitiser then post apply more sanitiser rather than a deodoriser.

Paul H

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:45:44 am »
used this recently on a similar job speak to restormate Mr Kelly will help you out

http://www.restormate.co.uk/epages/15094.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15094/Products/Nem02

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 08:05:44 am »
If its smelling, its still wet. If it has underlay this will be holding the water and likely to be contaminated with mould/mildew. If its stuck down then the slab may be wet underneath.
If there is underlay you either have to get it out and replace or at the least try and get some air forced through it.
Either way to have any hope of success you will have to make sure all parts of the carpet are reached by the product to kill off any mould or mildews. You should then install some drying equipment to dry it as quickly as possible.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 03:16:05 pm »
Well said John.
It is not simply a matter of going in and spraying some deodoriser or sanitiser, before and after cleaning the carpet.
Like anything you have to get the foundations right, and in this case it is dealing more with what is beneath the carpet than its surface.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Elfyn

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:18:43 pm »
The two post above have got it spot on.
If the carpet, underlay and floor are dry the smell will go. Any deodourisers will only mask the problem for a while.