Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

sean84

Roof rack advice
« on: December 05, 2011, 01:44:56 pm »
Just bought an estate to start my domestic round in the new year  :)
Ive never owned an estate before, or bought roof racks / bars before either. So im after a bit of advice.....
Do you buy the roof bars specific to the vehicle or do you get universal ones?
Also, I want to be able to leave the ladders on the vehicle overnight so what will I have to buy to have them secure?
What websites, or places can people reccomend?
Btw the vehicle is a 2004 e46 Bmw touring.

Johnny B

Re: Roof rack advice
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 03:07:15 pm »
If you after 'universal' ones, make sure that the fittings are suitable for your vehicle. Halfords or similar sell roof bars, or you could try fleebay and get a secondhand set that are specific for your car.

If you intend to leave your ladders on overnight, a hefty chain and padlock is recommended. If you get ladder clamps, they can be padlocked as well.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Llaaww

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:31:30 pm »
thule do conversion packs for most vehicles. You keep the bars and change the fitting pack if you change the vehicle.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/180377977544?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

ladder clamps are lockable.
if it is dirty it is fair game

bobby p

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »
i use a MASTER python cable lock to secure my ladders at night. it slips inside the ladder rungs  then under the roofbars and is quicker to use than a chain and padlock.  they are 15 quid in B n q

sean84

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 06:11:56 pm »
i use a MASTER python cable lock to secure my ladders at night. it slips inside the ladder rungs  then under the roofbars and is quicker to use than a chain and padlock.  they are 15 quid in B n q

Is this what you mean?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?fh_secondid=9284247&fh_view=detail&fh_location=%2F%2Fcatalog01%2Fen_GB%2Fcategories%3C{9372015}%2Fcategories%3C{9372044}%2Fcategories%3C{9382012}&icamp=ns_11

Tbh it doesnt bother me whether the roof rack is a universal one or specific, I will have a look on ebay and maybe go to Halfords and see what they have got.

bobby p

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 06:56:58 pm »

Is this what you mean?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?fh_secondid=9284247&fh_view=detail&fh_location=%2F%2Fcatalog01%2Fen_GB%2Fcategories%3C{9372015}%2Fcategories%3C{9372044}%2Fcategories%3C{9382012}&icamp=ns_11

Tbh it doesnt bother me whether the roof rack is a universal one or specific, I will have a look on ebay and maybe go to Halfords and see what they have got.
theres a smaller Master version i have ,its on sale on the racks next to the one in your link .

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 07:33:23 pm »
Ive never owned an estate before, or bought roof racks / bars before either. So im after a bit of advice.....
Also, I want to be able to leave the ladders on the vehicle overnight so what will I have to buy to have them secure?

I did it as follows - after some trial and error.  I only wanted it for ladders.  I'm not saying it's the best way or the cheapest way but it worked fine for me

As follows:-

I bought the Thule (quite expensive) roof bars suitable for my vehicle.
To this I added thelockable round bits at the end rather than sticking with the standard non-lockable ones that were provided.  Also, I bought the triangular pieces that fit onto the bars and fitted them so that the vertical edges faced outwards and within the ladder styles (leave a bit of a gap between these and the ladder or it will be a tight fit to get them on and off).  That takes care of the ladder not sliding sideways.  To stop it lifting off the bars I bought Thule quick release straps.  They can be released and tightened very quickly and will save loads of time with tying/untying.  I tucked the loose ends into the hollow rung ends.  For foiling the thieves at night, those propeller type locks (not sure of their name and a couple of sturdy padlocks will do the business.  Sure, if someone want to cut through the locks they will but they are more likely to leave yours alone and find easier pickings elsewhere.

I got all the stuff from Halfords except for the ladder locks.

EDIT:  I see that Thule also do lockable ladder carriers.  I've not seen these close up.  I don't know if they are quick release.  When making the choices, remember that you need quick release in the day while working and security at night.

sean84

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 08:09:19 pm »

I did it as follows - after some trial and error.  I only wanted it for ladders.  I'm not saying it's the best way or the cheapest way but it worked fine for me

As follows:-

I bought the Thule (quite expensive) roof bars suitable for my vehicle.
To this I added thelockable round bits at the end rather than sticking with the standard non-lockable ones that were provided.  Also, I bought the triangular pieces that fit onto the bars and fitted them so that the vertical edges faced outwards and within the ladder styles (leave a bit of a gap between these and the ladder or it will be a tight fit to get them on and off).  That takes care of the ladder not sliding sideways.  To stop it lifting off the bars I bought Thule quick release straps.  They can be released and tightened very quickly and will save loads of time with tying/untying.  I tucked the loose ends into the hollow rung ends.  For foiling the thieves at night, those propeller type locks (not sure of their name and a couple of sturdy padlocks will do the business.  Sure, if someone want to cut through the locks they will but they are more likely to leave yours alone and find easier pickings elsewhere.

I got all the stuff from Halfords except for the ladder locks.

EDIT:  I see that Thule also do lockable ladder carriers.  I've not seen these close up.  I don't know if they are quick release.  When making the choices, remember that you need quick release in the day while working and security at night.

Was looking at the Thule systems on roofracks.co.uk, they look smart. At £100 for the setup is a good price IMO they look better quality than most of the stuff on ebay:

http://www.roofracks.co.uk/thule/roofbar_fitments/bmw_3_series_touring_rails_96_plus.php