Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Willis

1500w guttervacs
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:41:43 pm »
Are not too brilliant to be honest. Just done a gutterclean ok, then the custy mentioned the rain always hammers off the gutter onto her electric box below. Got my wf pole out and ran some water down the s bend - totally blocked  ::) Ladders out and take the pipe apart. Not even sure my 3000w vac would have shifted it either.

SPE

Re: 1500w guttervacs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:34:28 pm »
yes I'm not too sure about them to be honest (but then I've never used one)
I'm a long way off buying one (if ever).
I do clean gutters out off ladders occasionally and take someone along with me to foot them and help clean up. The only times I get asked about gutter cleaning is when someone has a problem and they are blocked or have stuff growing out of them. Think I'll stick with my ladder  ;)

colin purewater

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 05:26:51 pm »
they wont un block down pipe! my gutter vac make me more money then my wfp system at the moe, it feckin great!!
keep it simple

Scoop

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:56:03 pm »
To clarify, a vac won't always unblock the downpipe. Sometimes it will and it's very satisfying when it does. But sometimes a weed has taken root deep into the pipe and no vac can get it, be it 1500W or 3kW.

But it should be mentioned that these are quite rare. To discount a 1500w ladderless vac just because it won't do 1 in 50 jobs is like saying you'll never use a toaster again just because it once burnt your toast.

Ladderless gutter cleaning is becoming more and more popular. It's a 'lightbulb moment' solution to a universal problem. A handful of jobs it can't do. But most it can and like Colin I'm enjoying the current demand and expecting strong growth.
Don't wish it were easier. Wish that you were better - Jim Rohn

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 06:32:04 am »
I just bought one for the simple reason that it reduces risk. I may still need to inspect downpipes, but the majority of the gutter can be cleaned from the ground.

It's the same way I treat WFP. I can do most, but if called for I will use a ladder as I have done what I can to reduce risk.

Dave Willis

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:00:06 am »
To clarify, a vac won't always unblock the downpipe. Sometimes it will and it's very satisfying when it does. But sometimes a weed has taken root deep into the pipe and no vac can get it, be it 1500W or 3kW.

But it should be mentioned that these are quite rare. To discount a 1500w ladderless vac just because it won't do 1 in 50 jobs is like saying you'll never use a toaster again just because it once burnt your toast.

Ladderless gutter cleaning is becoming more and more popular. It's a 'lightbulb moment' solution to a universal problem. A handful of jobs it can't do. But most it can and like Colin I'm enjoying the current demand and expecting strong growth.

What I'm saying here are loads of guys are rushing out to provide a guttercleaning service, now if they don't run water down the spout or climb up and inspect the 's' bend then it's highly likely they are only doing half a job that's all. I thought I'd done a good job, if the woman hadn't mentioned the blockage I would have taken the money and moved on. There were no weeds in the bend at all - just wet sludge beyond the reach of the nozzle.

Scoop

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 08:35:07 am »
Your point is very valid Hydro. No doubt that downpipes are the dark side of gutter cleaning and taking the time to make sure the job was done properly is a credit to you.

What I always do is put the vacuum nozzle into the downpipe and then listen for the air running up it. It should sound like a bit like someone blowing over the top of a bottle to make a 'musical note'. If you get this then a column of air is moving up the pipe and hence it is clear. If you don't and vacuum pitch rises as if you'd just put your hand over the nozzle then you've got a blockage. Then it's up to the operator to see if the blockage can be hoovered out or if it's time to get the ladders out.

I would also point out that this method is far more reliable that most. As you say you thought you'd done a good job until you checked with running water. But I would also say that guy on ladders merrily scooping the gutter out won't have a quick easy way to check the downpipes. The vacuum will tell you straight away if you've got a problem or not. It's worth adding that running into a snag like a blocked downpipe can leave you spending an extra hour or more on a job so always remember the odd unforeseen in your pricing.
Don't wish it were easier. Wish that you were better - Jim Rohn

photoads

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 03:06:59 am »
Ok newbie here from near Toronto

I bought a heath Robinson device from a guy in the states. The thing uses 2 1/2 ft plastic pole sections that are heavy & it wobbles all over the place . The vac is in a white 3/4 inch plastic box with a flat bottom so you can drag it. I am waiting now for grippatank to send me out the gutter poles so I can earn some real money.

With the system I have I test the down spouts with a penny - it has a blower port so I put the nozzle over the downspout put a penny in the hose, connect to the hose to the blower and shoot the penny down the spout! I do use the ladder because the poles are naff, but hope the HM carbon poles will take things to a different level next week.

Total shine cleaning services

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 10:54:48 am »
Bought a Clarke 30 last month ant it has paid for itself 3 times over-so much faster than doin by hand once you get the knack also I quote for gutter clearing with a pre warning that there will be an extra charge if down pipe is blocked-the plus side to having a vac is the noise seems to generate a lot of interest,I had 2 gutter cleans last sat morning and this turned to 4 in no time with all customers remarking how pro we looked with the correct equipment,would do gutters all day if poss as very fast money

Graham