Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

steve massey

Wooden Ladders
« on: November 17, 2005, 04:45:45 pm »
Hi all,

Now the winter is setting in how many of you use wooden ladders to stop hands getting cold on the  metal.

I will be buying a new set of wooden ladders this week and just wonded how many of you use them.

neil100

Re: Wooden Ladders
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 05:15:38 pm »
HI,

Yes I use them all the time.

I've used them for 26 years and their great in winter. On a frosty start like today at 8am their a god send.

They do have alluminum rungs.but you cant beat getting hold of a bit of timber in this weather.

Nel

Mike_G

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 05:24:38 pm »
I have always used wooden ladders except this year, got a triple alloy but it was freezing using it this morning, next new one will be wooden no doubt about that. 

Gordon_Taylor

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 05:47:28 pm »
I've been Window Cleaning for nearly ten years and I've been using wooden point ladders for about six years and they feel so solid, I know that the ally's are a bit lighter but they just don't look as stirdyand when the weather is turning like it is now with the wind picking up and cold I would'nt change mine for anything.
Just another thing what do you guys use to keep your ladders in good condition.

Gordon Taylor
Taylor Window Cleaning
Quality is doing it right, even when no-one is looking.

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 06:26:26 pm »
i have woodens , i found they make it easier to get out and clean in the winter couldnt deal with allys. i just treated mine to a varnish this afternoon .

shawn ;D
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

dai

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 09:14:13 pm »
Wooden ladders, you can't beat them. I have to wear gloves though, summer and winter. Ruddy splinters. I was advised never to paint or varnish them. wood needs to breath. some none staining wood preservative wouldn't do them any harm though. Dai

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 09:31:33 pm »
are you serious , what will it do . is it not safe?

shawn

dai

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 10:01:02 pm »
The last ladders I varnished rotted where I fitted the stabliser bar.
Where this bar connected to the ladder was encased in an alluminium sleeve. The sleeve had prevented the wood from taking in and giving out moisture.
Back in the late 1950's we used to give the ladders a good soaking in dry weather. This was because the rungs would dry out and the ladder would develope play in the joints.
Now we paint wood to stop it from going rotten so it doesn't make sense, but I was advised on this forum never to paint wooden ladders. Dai

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 10:12:30 pm »
cheers mate mate , i will strip it off ha ha .. with my luck it will eat the wood away

shawn ???

KJG

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 01:16:25 am »
I like the slight give and assuring weight of wooden ladders. Try wriggling around three floors up on aluminium one to see what I mean.

Go for an unvarnished set but treat them yourself with something like teak oil. The varnished ones I've had in the past all started to rot a lot quicker for some reason. My own thoughts are that "some" manufacturers will use a lower grade wood for a set that's going to be varnished?

neil100

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 07:50:36 pm »
If your getting splinters give them a rub down with fine sand paper.

I treat mine every couple of years with a breathable preseravative.

Stood the test of time.

Nel