Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mike ross

di water!
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:00:31 pm »
Hi lads first time post, has any one used Di water to rinse with?

Ian Rochester

Re: di water!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:09:38 pm »
Tried it, no difference, we run 3 window cleaning vans using RO water.

Colin Day

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:33:36 pm »
Hi lads first time post, has any one used Di water to rinse with?

Welcome to CIU, Mike.

I have often thought of using Di water but to be honest, unless you're having problems with potable water, stick to it.... It's cheap, if you don't live in Cornwall :D

Cheers, Colin.....

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:35:01 pm »
I use it and believe it leaves the carpets softer, but then it all depends on the hardness of the tap water in your own area. My tap water is giving a reading of 420 at present.

mike ross

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:08:11 pm »
Thanks for your thought guys,I suppose its knowing your rinsing with dirty water made me think of using Di!! But if it dosent make much difference than normal tap water then I shall carry on as normal.

Thanks again    :)

Colin Day

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:30:51 am »
Isn't the water hard, down your way ???

A regular flush of Calgon or a similar product should protect your gear...

As long as you look after the pump head in your machine, you'll be fine mate... :)

If I was you..... I'd use Di... The water's pretty crap round your way mate.... :) (Sorry)

mike ross

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 12:53:08 am »
Your right Colin it is  poor water where I am very hard. How will I go about flushing it with calgon?

Colin Day

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 01:07:37 am »
Your right Colin it is  poor water where I am very hard. How will I go about flushing it with calgon?

God know's mate...!

Surely a good strong Calgon mix will sort it all out.... :-\

You'll need to run it through your pump... after every day I suppose.... ???

Jim_77

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 01:24:37 am »
Calgon's a prevention rather than a cure, so running it through your pump after a day's work would do nothing.  You need to add it to the water you clean with, e.g. a quarter of a tablet per tank full in the porty or something (just guessing, don't know what the amount would be).  All it does is soften water, helping to minimise scale build up.

If you live in a hard water area you can keep a portable ticking over by running descaler through it every month or two.  Stick your solution hoses on to the machine with an open-ended hose on the end, add a mix of hot descaler to the machine and circulate it back into the tank for 10 minutes or so (run it through your wands and tools as well).  Let it stand for an hour or so, heat and circulate again and then run it off into a container.  You'll be able to use it again, maybe top it up with some fresh descaling product each time

Flush the system out very thoroughly with plain water afterwards!!!

A diaphragm pump ( normally the lower pressure ones below 200psi) shouldn't really suffer from scale because there's no metal parts the water touches to cause scale deposits.  I've never had a porty with a piston pump so don't know if they're any different

Normally it's the heater element in the machine tank that needs descaling, all that will happen if it scales up is it will take a bit longer to heat the water, and maybe in the case of severe scale will blow the heater element after a very long time because it'll overheat itself because it can't lose the heat quick enough due to the limescale jacket it's wearing!

If you use an inline heater, much more important to keep scale-free as it will badly affect heating and also flow rate through the heater with severe build up.

If you need a descaler, search for Phos which is made by Clover Products

But going back to the original subject, DI water might not make any noticeable difference to the cleaning results but will be kinder to your machine!

mike ross

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 08:51:23 am »
Thanks for that Jim very informative. I will definitely start descaleing my machine more regular. Would using Di harm the metal in side the pump?

Jim_77

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 10:28:18 am »
Far as I am aware, purified water is kinder to machinery than non purified, unless anyone knows any different

Simon Moat

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 08:11:11 pm »
To de-scale order M1 from Extracta, it really, really, works.

Must wear protective gloves and glasses, this bad boy will burn you silly.

mike ross

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 09:34:00 pm »
Can see a claim coming in from one of my guys already   :'( better stick to less potoint stuff. Thanks anyway Simon  ;) ;)

Seymour Sunshine

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 10:59:05 pm »
If you can collect it, you can use rainwater. Off my tiled roof (slightly covered in mosses) it comes off at 050 ppm. Of my garage roof which is felted it comes off at between 020 and 006 in a good downpour.

It's free and even at its hardest is probably much softer than tap water.

If it does get a bit green, you can just filter it through an old pair of tights (just make sure she's not still wearing them) when you transfer into your barrels or whatever you transport it in.

I'll use up to 010 for window cleaning without any further treatment, so it will be fine for carpets.
Banjo players are sent from heaven ... to make drummers look good.