Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bushboy

Winter is coming help
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:46:15 pm »
Hi everybody ,
Been doing windows for 6 months now , can any one tell me what sort of
Fall in turnover you normally see over the winter period with bad weather etc .

I know last year , start of this year was bad . Just wondered what reality was .

Also do you find where the nights come in quicker , we have less time & have put
The work back over the winter & catch up I'm the summer .

Any advice , pearls of  wisdom greatly appreciated .

Cheers

Daniel12

Re: Winter is coming help
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:09:55 pm »
Depends on how many days u got

Stephen Dwyer

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 09:51:02 pm »
We just carry on as normal.  Occasionally we may get the odd customer who cancels us for the whole winter and tells us to come back in the spring but that kind of thing is very rare.  Other than that we just carry on as best we can in pretty much all weather as normal. 

A few problems do arise such as the water freezing and that kind of thing but it doesn't effect things a much as you would think.  There will be some days you can't work (when there is a lot of snow) but the weather only usually gets that bad for a total of say two weeks or so over the course of the winter. 

Bushboy

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 10:50:52 pm »
Cheers stephen   ;D
On your turnover do you find you make ends meat over the winter period ,
Summer has been great , but unsure what to expect ŵith my monthly turnover
Come the winter , do you loose say 25 % over the 4 winter months as a rule of thumb , on say a normal winter , as these recent winters have been pretty unusual &
Not the norm ,
Cheers

steve rix

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:24:04 am »
We drop by about 7.5% during Jan and feb, Not really an isue

Stephen Dwyer

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 04:39:33 pm »
Cheers stephen   ;D
On your turnover do you find you make ends meat over the winter period ,
Summer has been great , but unsure what to expect ŵith my monthly turnover
Come the winter , do you loose say 25 % over the 4 winter months as a rule of thumb , on say a normal winter , as these recent winters have been pretty unusual &
Not the norm ,
Cheers

Sorry for the late reply.  I would say that we struggle a little bit more in terms of turnover in the winter but probably not by as much as 25%.  There will be 2 or maybe 3 weeks or so where neither me or my business partner can pay ourselves the full amount of wages that we normally receive but for the most part things aren't too bad.  Like you say we have had some nasty winters as of late and I hear that we are due another this year but the only time when it is a really big problem is if there is a lot of snow on the ground and that doesn't normally happen for more than a week or two, maybe three weeks at most each winter. 

Bushboy

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:23:56 pm »
Cheers Stephen  ;D
That's reassuring , do you use a hot water system in the winter or just make good what you've got ,

simbo

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 08:41:55 pm »
last year stayed very cold, hardly broke above freezing for weeks and nearly finished me i do know. Last few winters have been dreadful, just be as prepared as possible and try to put money away to see you through.
paul

Bushboy

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 11:15:51 pm »
simbo
How far behind did you get coming out of Xmas last year ,
Cheers

simbo

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 08:59:11 am »
i had nearly 5 weeks hardly touching a window as stayed below freezing most of the time but i also take off nearly 2 weeks at christmas.
paul

Stephen Dwyer

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 05:55:04 pm »
Cheers Stephen  ;D
That's reassuring , do you use a hot water system in the winter or just make good what you've got ,

We mainly use a trolley wfp system and sometimes in very cold weather it won't work or there may be a danger of the water freezing in the hose but we have a ladder as well so we use that when/where we have to.  We don't use hot water in the pole but we do often use it in the coldest parts of winter in the bucket just for the traditional work.  Sometimes the water will still freeze on the windows though.  I have heard that mixing screen wash into the water can help although I have yet to try that myself. 

simbo

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 07:35:51 pm »
If its that cold just forget it, people will only think you are more stupid than they probably already do just being a "windowcleaner" i mean just work hard when you can and keep at least a month of money as float in bank and then its not so bad!!!

Bushboy

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 10:43:33 pm »
Cheers guys ;D