Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

andyatkinson

those with staff
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:23:37 am »
on your job sheets that you leave your staff with do you ever write an estimate for how long it should take them? ive just started writing for example 30 mins next to the custies details, and hope that will push them on a bit, anyone else tried this?

richywilts

Re: those with staff
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 11:31:20 am »
on window cleaner pro it has an estimated time on the sheet but we dont really use it sorry to hear about ur accident andy sure you will come thru stronger mate keep plugging away at commercial sales etc and your business will come better for it im sure things happen for reasons could be what u needed
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

andyatkinson

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:38:17 am »
thanks mate, thats what im hoping. just annoying if theyve had a slow day for now apparent reason so wanted to set the speed of the day so they know there is an expectation, cheers mate

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:53:00 am »
Andy,

I just give my lads a daily worksheet and they know not to come back until its all done.

Knowing your recent accident, are your staff new?

If they are you may have to give them shorter worksheets for the first time around, little things like not knowing where best to park the van, which side gate to use or which pole to use can add time onto a job.

Writing details of the job in the notes can help - inaccessible windows, which pole to use etc

andyatkinson

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:16:12 pm »
thats good cheers, are they not on an hourly rate then, percentage? just thinking how to keep them out until done, i mean i dont mind taking the hit when its my fault, e.g under priced work or something, but when its good well paid work i do want to see it all completed, one guy is new so no real expectation on him for the next 2 or 3 weeks, thanks

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 02:11:13 pm »
Dont know what you have them on pay wise ... but what about a bonus in their pay  packet for finishing the weeks work on time / attendence bonus.

Should get them working well
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 03:16:32 pm »
thats good cheers, are they not on an hourly rate then, percentage?

No they are on a flat rate weekly wage, I give them a reasonable workload for each day on some commercial days they can be back by 1.30pm on others they are out until 5.30-6.00pm. They also know that if they are working properly the work is comfortably achievable but I'm fair with them, tomorrow is the end of the 4 weekly cycle and all the work is done so because the weather is nice they are having a paid day off.

just thinking how to keep them out until done.

I find the promise of continued employment a good motivator. Andy, because your out of action don't fall into the trap of thinking these guys are doing you a favour YOU pay their wages so you are entitled to a fair days work out of them!

andyatkinson

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 06:35:55 pm »
thats helpful cheers ;)

Pope vader

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 06:45:00 pm »
my mate had this problem   each van made 3.5k a month and was paying them 1200 a month  and couldnt understand why half the work didnt get done or custy didnt pay,  and in the end the lads would leave and take there custys with him, went from 4 vans to 2 in the space of a month

geefree

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 08:12:47 pm »
Thats one of the issues i raised on an earlier topic,

but a lot of guys who employ dont seem to want to say on here, that its rife staff leaving and taking customers with them....

No matter how much they are looked after.

it probably explains why a lot of guys in this business dont grow as quick as they should.

Ste M

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 04:02:06 am »
I put as much info as I can on their worksheets with reference to where tp park, which hose to use, any awkward windows and how to best do them, which pole, when or how the custy will pay and also the custies name. I won't put down a time to clean each house as I would prefer them to just make sure they do a brilliant job and I don't have to go back to re-clean. I do however keep an eye on how long they are out for and if I find that they are easily cleaning a set amount of work 2-3 hours early then I will add more on for those days. I won't take them up to their full time limit though as that would mean they are fully stretched so if they get a new house or two it means we will have to go back to it another day.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 04:36:42 am »
We have 7 full time window cleaners, they are on a good basic weekly wage plus they have a daily/weekly/monthly target to hit and they get paid a bonus based on this every 3 months.

If the weather turns bad they still get paid out of the bonus pot that has been built up. 

There is some risk to us if we have several days/weeks of really bad weather, however there is also an incentive to them to work.

It works well for us.

We had a couple of window cleaners a few years ago who left us after doing a bit of a dirty on us, they set up on their own and bragged that they were going to take all our business.  However I sent a letter to everyone of our customers and they ended up taking only about 20 houses (mostly old people) out of around 2000.

Things to be aware of:
- Make sure your cash balances cash every day, accept no excuses, if it doesn't it comes out of their wages.
- Where possible rotate the rounds so the same customers don't become too familar and loyal to individual window cleaners but are instead loyal to your business name.
- If paying bonus work make them aware that quality is not compromised and any complaints will need to be resolved by them, in their time, at their cost.
- Always make sure that they have enough work to keep them going for the day/week.
- Set realistic and achieveable targets, if they think the bonus is unachieveable then they'll just not bother trying.
- Think about paying a "finders fee" if they bring new work in, but don't pay this until after the third clean.

Hope this helps.

Off to Ravenglass now to drop off some bikes for group of Americans cycling the C2C!

STEVE-UK

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 07:52:28 am »
Ian are you not franchising anymore?

andyatkinson

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 12:06:06 pm »
thanks everyone, some really, really helpful stuff there, ian i bet your getting well annoyed with the ian lancaster confusions!

Ian Rochester