Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Llaaww

scratches on glass
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:29:07 pm »
New built house, looks like self build as they are in and have been for some time. Windows still have stickers and spacer pads on them.

I pull up and offer to put in a price.

As I look about I find a couple of scratches on ground level panels. I pointed these out to the woman and said that if I wash them it was on the understanding that I would not be held responsible for any scratching on any glass.

I also pointed out that the first time scratches become aparent is after the glass has been cleaned for the first time, and it is often the window cleaner that gets it in the ear, and I will only go ahead on the understanding that I would not be held responsible for scratched glass.

I washed the said glass and the woman was delighted and coughed up the cash.

Today I got a call from this woman saying that the windows I had cleaned were scratched and her husband will go mad when he sees it. She believes it was me that had scratched the glass using a scraper to remove sticker glue.

This is the first comeback for scratches since 2000, and only the second one ever. I am gutted as these things are probably about £4k to replace. I hate to leave an unhappy customer, but with new build stuff I am always careful to disclaim responsibility from word go, and this case was no exception.

Any tips or sugestions (other than rude ones  :D ) would be welcome
if it is dirty it is fair game

Pope vader

Re: scratches on glass
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 06:34:10 pm »
get ur insurance ready lad,  sounds like set up,  this is why i dont do builders cleans any more

andyM

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »
Don't play along with their game. You would know yourself if you had scratched them.
Ignore, Ignore, Ignore and never go back!
One of the Plebs

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 06:40:08 pm »
No help now but in future for builders cleans get a 'scratched glass waiver' signed by the customer.

I have a copy somewhere I will see if I can dig it out.

It could be from the builders or if it is tempered glass it could be down to cheap badly produced glass.

Rick Davis

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 06:42:37 pm »
I know it's after the event but in the future it could be worth taking a pic with your phone camera & showing & making  the client aware prior to doing the clean.  

good luck & stand by your guns.

Rickster
Tempus Fugit

Pope vader

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:46:07 pm »
best think to do is say i will let my insurance sort it out and they can test how old the scratches are and how they where made ie  because glass is crap, you scraper caused it or they where there befor eyou started   if the custy says dont want to get insurance involved then they are after cash off you and tell them to sue you

Llaaww

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 06:47:56 pm »
get ur insurance ready lad,  sounds like set up,  this is why i dont do builders cleans any more

I should know better than go near a first clean, but with a new van to get paid for I have been taking on all comers.

This is very definatly the last, first/ builders clean that I will ever do.

checked insurance and all is good.

I will be sticking to my guns and not admitting liability.

swear swear swear swear........ swear swear swear.......Doh!

Pope vader

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 06:50:34 pm »
is every piece of glass scratched

Llaaww

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 07:00:25 pm »
is every piece of glass scratched

don't know yet, I need to take a look in the next couple of days. Not looking forward to it.

Certainly some of them are, as I saw and pointed out some before I started.

It will probably come to nothing, but if they dig their heels in I will fight them all the way, they will have to sue.

I can't believe that after being so adamant I still get a come back.

swear swear swear .......  swear swear swear.....DOh!

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 07:14:04 pm »
Google 'fabrication debris' it could well be that.

I damaged 4 huge patio doors because of it.

As a side issue I doubt your insurance will cover it as most have a clause "Not including windows being worked on" for this reason.

Craig 72

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:05 pm »
Sounds a bloody nightmare.If I were you I would get round there as soon as I could and check the damage.If she's just showing the scratches that you know for a 100% fact were already there I would remind her of the fact that you pointed them out beforehand and then I'd just walk away personally.Can't see any alternative really.I've scraped the bejesus out of glass before without scratching it so I would guess it's somebody just trying their luck.

neil kellett

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 12:00:27 am »
If you think a couple of stickers and some snots of glue constitutes an initial clean, take a look of what I used to be up against over here during the boom years. Fun and games with the cow boy builders who could'nt organise a poop fight. Ive cleaned thousands of these. The slums of tomorrow, ha!
Vilyetyet' c paboti mozhna v dva c4yota!
One can lose a job in the blink of an eye!

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 10:01:51 am »
How`s things progessing with this customer,and their complaint ?

Lewis  Doubtfire
 ::) ???
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

Llaaww

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 11:09:35 am »
I will be in to see her probably tomo.

To be honest I did have a good talk to her about revealing scratches after cleaning and even pointed some out before starting, so she can sling her hook.